Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Last T6 or first T6.1?

M

M at the W

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all

We’re on the cusp of buying our first Cali Ocean (UK-based).
We know we want a new 199, Auto, 4 Motion, with a set of options incl. Adaptive Cruise.
Our dilemma: to order a T6 now, or await the T6.1?

Thoughts and any hard insights welcome.

Ours:

T6: likely cheaper, tested, quicker to arrive.
Believe we can still order but haven’t checked.

T6.1. Better spec, avoid known issues (roof corrosion etc) that would hopefully be remedied (would they though?), 6d-temp engine to stay ahead of diesel penalties, wireless tech, better residuals because of last two points?

But Post Brexit risk? New untested faults, inc over-reliance on digital?

Flip side again is would like to work from laptop/van, so better digital connectivity may help.

Does anyone known extent of price mark up or if better standard spec will balance that out? Or when orders might be taken?

Questions, questions...

Thanks all

to order a T6 now, or await the T6.1?

Has anyone told you how long the wait is on a T6.1 California? and how many camping trips you could miss between now and then. I think the T6.1 California will be some time off. At this time I prefer the external look of the T6 over the T6.1 but expect that will change with time.

I think if you believe the T6.1 will have zero roof paint issues only time will tell and I would not lose any sleep on it if it is fixed for the T6.1 it will be the same for T6s made now.

Hi all

We’re on the cusp of buying our first Cali Ocean (UK-based).
We know we want a new 199, Auto, 4 Motion, with a set of options incl. Adaptive Cruise.
Our dilemma: to order a T6 now, or await the T6.1?

Thoughts and any hard insights welcome.

Ours:

T6: likely cheaper, tested, quicker to arrive.
Believe we can still order but haven’t checked.

T6.1. Better spec, avoid known issues (roof corrosion etc) that would hopefully be remedied (would they though?), 6d-temp engine to stay ahead of diesel penalties, wireless tech, better residuals because of last two points?

But Post Brexit risk? New untested faults, inc over-reliance on digital?

Flip side again is would like to work from laptop/van, so better digital connectivity may help.

Does anyone known extent of price mark up or if better standard spec will balance that out? Or when orders might be taken?

Questions, questions...

Thanks all
Don’t bank on the wireless technology being state of the art.

Vw group have run the new tech platforms ie digital dash and wireless part connectivity for sometime on other models like the golf, A6 etc.
I wouldn’t worry about that tbh.
Worst case, grab yourself a run out T6 bargain, keep it for a few years, chop it in when teething problems on the .1 are boxed off. They will be vented on here so we can all learn :thumb

Has anyone told you how long the wait is on a T6.1 California? and how many camping trips you could miss between now and then. I think the T6.1 California will be some time off. At this time I prefer the external look of the T6 over the T6.1 but expect that will change with time.

I think if you believe the T6.1 will have zero roof paint issues only time will tell and I would not lose any sleep on it if it is fixed for the T6.1 it will be the same for T6s made now.
The t6.1
They will be a bargain compared to the new one. I’ll guarantee it! I think that you won’t get much change from 85k for the new California.1.
85k I don’t care what anyone says ..never would I ever pay 85k for any California no matter how good the spec..it’s a camper for camping .and it’s basically a t5/t6 so roof corrosion will be no Different from the 6.
in all the years it’s been a problem it’s still happening so you will just have a posh new digital van with a new front end and the same roof...body ect...
85k wow that takes any enjoyment out of camping.
My first California a year old was 30k and it’s still the same shape;)

We’ve just bought a new unregistered T6 (not yet picked it up), a 150 manual which suits us just fine. I don’t want a bi-turbo engine or DSG box, which may not be possible on the 6.1 anyway. It was a quick decision although our second Cali so knew what we were buying. The main reasons were the discount available now and the fact that the 6.1 will be more expensive with a lower discount achievable. The cost differential will therefore be very significant.

If you want one now, or at any time for that matter, speak to Liverpool. They had a Cali of the spec you want in 2 tone starlight blue and white in the showroom on Saturday (may have been sold) and have other brand new Calis in stock at extremely attractive prices.

VW liverpool (swansway) buy from VW Germany in Bulk so can offer attractive discounts to pass on to the customer.
It took me an hour to walk around the area where they store all the vans at the rear. Very impressive.

It will be interesting to see just how much the new Cali's are.

Completely unrelated to VW, but still relevant; I was chatting to someone the other day about campers and motorhomes in general and they'd been looking at 2020 Hymer Car vans. He'd been told that the 2020 model Hymer Car vans were around 1.5k cheaper than the 2019 models.

I was really surprised by this and could it be a sign of things to come?
If the exchange rate drops then Manufacturers have 2 Options. Put the price up and watch the sales drop or put the prices down and increase sales.
Lower sales, lower production, cut back on staff and then more difficult to respond if there is an upturn in the market.

1.5K is a rounding error compared with the current discounts available. Unseen before to the best of my research.

I understand all those words, just not necessarily in that order :D lol

Sorry, will try again! Even if list prices of the new 6.1 were £1,500 less than that of the T6 (which I can’t see happening), the current discount available on the T6 is currently so big that in all probability the T6 will be far cheaper than a 6.1, which is likely to have a lower discount available. I’ve never seen discounts as high on a T6 as currently available.

The wife and I went out and ordered a new build T6 Ocean today so they’re definitely still taking orders!

We opted for now rather than waiting for the new T6.1 for most of the reasons already mentioned. We got a pretty good deal and I don’t think the new model would be as discounted, on top of that, they will probably close the order book for T6’s pretty soon and I reckon it’ll be a fair while until the new ones are delivered.

For us it’s a camper first and foremost and most of the new changes it seems at the moment are with the dash. If it were a car I might have a different view.

I’m now pacing around the living room with excitement about it’s arrival but that’s a few moon cycles away yet!

Was there not this discussion before "should I buy a T5 now or wait for a T6"

High discounts, good deals keeps being banded but what percentage are achievable from dealers.

Now is a perfect time to be buying a T6.0
Run out models they want to shift to make way for the new arrival. Grab grab.
6.1 will basically be the same, tweaked front end, fancy dash, few upgrades in the camper part. The chassis platform engine and running gear I’m thinking will not change and they will still use same moulds and factory systems on these parts, and the 6.0.
Oh, and the T5....and T5.1. :D

If the 6.1 Cali wont be available until 2020 as presumed by some, why try and shift T6s now surely is a tad premature.

From a main dealer? more than 10% well done.
We ordered a new build as we didn’t want what someone thought we might or what someone else didn’t want themselves. Perhaps they offer more on stock vehicles but I think you can get an equally good deal on your own spec.

I got a quote on autoebid, then put that quote to all my local dealers until it was beaten by a decent margin. I’m pretty happy I’ve got the lowest price possible, and it’s better getting it locally for dealing with the problems as and when they occur!

I understand now :cool: lol

Agreed that the current discounts of over 12% are great, especially considering this must be the campervan selling time of year.:thumb

Actually, the season is over from the dealer perspective. Everyone is either away or have made their plans. I was surprised when they were telling me this but makes sense when you think about it.

I had one of the last T5s (2009 59 plate) which was converted from new. Never regretted that as by that point all the issues had been sorted. Only minor issues in 9 years of ownership.

Back