Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Latest Avtex 18.5" 12/240v TV & DVD

On this "Controversial" subject has anybody put a satellite receiver on the roof of a Cali? :Iamsorry

controversial as in some people frown up TV's in the Cali ! Agreed, these are great TV's
How can watching TV be controversial? Everyone has preferences about what they personally do with, or to, or in their own van. Surely it is inappropriate to be judgemental about others unless they are causing some harm or inconvenience to those around them.

Does this work on 12v off grid ?

We used a similar Aldi one for 5+ months without hookup, charging the leisure battery with solar and engine charge. It eventually went in the bin after one of our boys used it as a "steering wheel" on its headrest mount! We might have been able to get it fixed, but didn't fancy lugging it around Europe with us...

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We used a similar Aldi one for 5+ months without hookup, charging the leisure battery with solar and engine charge. It eventually went in the bin after one of our boys used it as a "steering wheel" on its headrest mount! We might have been able to get it fixed, but didn't fancy lugging it around Europe with us...

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
We still have the Aldi one still going strong

I shall order one can this one be hung off the headrest like previous models?

If you go Cali camping all year round then one of these chaps can be very useful. When it's dark at 4:30pm, there is a limit to the amount of times you can go to the pub, play cards, or tiddly winks or do what ever else it is you get up to!

We have an Avtex 18" which we occasionally use and it's quite superb. Its reasonably robust, easy to tune and usually gives an excellent picture. We attach ours to the passengers headrest using the special bracket that the shop sells. (Also a great piece of kit. Once fitted you can leave it in place). The only time we haven't found it useful was on one very dark, late October evening in Applecross, Wester Ross. No signal but what can you expect up there! (We had already dined out at the local walled garden Cafe/restaurant).

We also use the Avtex 3000 ariel which seems to work well under most normal circumstances. I have never put it outside but usually just hang it up from the front upper velcro fixing that secures the Brandrup Isotop in place. It normally works very well in this location.

I can understand the controversy over there use on lighter evenings and personally haven't ever bothered to take the TV/DVD with us during the lighter months. We have never felt the need and usually have much better things to do but when some people imply that a TV/DVD isn't compatible with the California life style, they're wrong.

I never take the bus anywhere without my 6 year old so telly can be a great addition to the evening. PJ's on cuddle in front of the box with a suitable DVD on for 20 min can't hurt!

How can watching TV be controversial? Everyone has preferences about what they personally do with, or to, or in their own van. Surely it is inappropriate to be judgemental about others unless they are causing some harm or inconvenience to those around them.

Well said that man my thoughts exactly :thumb

Just reigniting this one... does anyone have a photo of said TV in situ on the back of passenger headrest please?

I would like to check that it would work on a journey for kids to watch a DVD - in fact, does the DVD player work whilst driving, or would it skip? And therefore use the memory stick option?

Thanks

Just reigniting this one... does anyone have a photo of said TV in situ on the back of passenger headrest please?

I would like to check that it would work on a journey for kids to watch a DVD - in fact, does the DVD player work whilst driving, or would it skip? And therefore use the memory stick option?

Thanks
Try these which I posted on another similar thread some time ago.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
To change the viewing position from the front to the back of the seat don't remove the bracket, just remove the headrest and bracket as one unit and reverse it.
I wouldn't use it whilst on the move. It's a great little bracket but I doubt if it's man enough to put up with the stresses imposed whilst on the move. Even the smallest tv is still quite heavy for this one point fixing. I am sure it would rapidly fail. There are also obvious safety concerns should you have an accident.

Last edited:
It's a great bracket but it's way over priced for what it is in my opinion.

If you go Cali camping all year round then one of these chaps can be very useful. When it's dark at 4:30pm, there is a limit to the amount of times you can go to the pub, play cards, or tiddly winks or do what ever else it is you get up to!

Spot on, we do not use a TV but a portable DVD player and use the van all year dark evenings can be long.

Thanks Boris and all.

I think that a 16" might be a better option for us which weighs under 2Kg Vs 3.2Kg for the 18.5 (Amazon states)