Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LCD displays hook up plug icon but no voltage just dashes ?

Westie82

Westie82

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi Guys,

Should I be getting a voltage readout on my LCD when the van is charging via hook up? Left it on charge all day yesterday, was displaying when I initially hooked it up but might have been what was left from me running the engine the day before.

Plugged it in this morning and I am getting no voltage read on the LCD when i push the battery button just dashes?, please see photo.

Many thanks

Mark

DSCF1256.JPG

I've had this happen when I've removed a fuse to drain back the water from the sink. That's another story. I think if you start the camper it will reset the display. At least that's what happened for me.

I've had this happen when I've removed a fuse to drain back the water from the sink. That's another story. I think if you start the camper it will reset the display. At least that's what happened for me.

Started her up and it then shot up to 13.9 V, charging from alternator. Turned off ignition and then voltage slowly dropped down to around 11.1 V. Shes now plugged back into the mains and displaying 11.8 V on the display dose this sound normal ?

Mark

Started her up and it then shot up to 13.9 V, charging from alternator. Turned off ignition and then voltage slowly dropped down to around 11.1 V. Shes now plugged back into the mains and displaying 11.8 V on the display dose this sound normal ?

Mark
I'd have to check what ours displays when on hook-up. I have a feeling it should be a little more but that may be linked to the condition of the batteries. It's worth bearing in mind that the heater will need a guaranteed 10.5V or more to start. If your batteries are weak and lose power fairly quickly with things like lights and fridge running then you may have some chilly nights camping. Also for your reference the bars that turn up when you're running things from the leisure battery indicate the percentage of supply remaining (couldn't say how accurate it is). Good to hear she's displaying a voltage again though.

Doesn't look normal to me.

When charging from the mains or alternator, mine are usually showing 14.4v. Once charged, it's usually showing around 13.8v I think. My batteries are 4 and a bit years old Sonneschines.

Given that you have had it on charge for a day, I would not expect batteries to be showing 11.1v. That is a flat battery.

So, something is wrong. Things that spring to mind initially are:

- Batteries are dead and not accepting a charge.
- Charger is not working, or at least working intermittently.
- A bad connection somewhere. Seems you get a reading when voltage is high, but not when low?
- I believe the control unit derives the voltage by some magic involving the earth shunt. Could be an issue there?

Steps I'd be taking at this point.
1. Having a little cry over a cup of tea.
2.. Pulling myself together.
3. Wondering what Pod would do?
4. Get the leisure batteries out and charge them on a different charger. Monitor them on a volt meter. Do they charge? Do they hold charge? Alternatively, I think you can get them tested (not sure how that works with Gel batteries)
5. With the batteries in place int he van, does the voltage at the battery match what is shown on the central controller?

dan

Well hoping they will charge up :Nailbiting, shes been on charge all day yesterday from 8 am - 11.00 pm and from 7.30 am this morning so by tonight I guess I should have a good indicator. Will take a volt meter reading tomorrow at some point in the day and see if they are holding a charge.

Thanks

Mark

I think either the charger is not working or batteries are screwed, because I just pulled the plug and the display dropped from 11.8v down to 10.0 and then the screen went to dashes as per my first post. Tried the heater and got nothing except relay noise so the leisure batteries must be flat as the heater works when the engine is running.

If voltage is low tomorrow across the terminals then i'm going to pull them from the van tomorrow and will put them on my other battery charger. At least I will be able to see as Dan said above if they are taking a charge. I guess if they take a charge and hold it then it must be the charger on the van.

Mark

From what you are describing, I'm quite sure the batteries are dead.

But they are expensive to replace, so best to be check.

I think either the charger is not working or batteries are screwed, because I just pulled the plug and the display dropped from 11.8v down to 10.0 and then the screen went to dashes as per my first post. Tried the heater and got nothing except relay noise so the leisure batteries must be flat as the heater works when the engine is running.

If voltage is low tomorrow across the terminals then i'm going to pull them from the van tomorrow and will put them on my other battery charger. At least I will be able to see as Dan said above if they are taking a charge. I guess if they take a charge and hold it then it must be the charger on the van.

Mark
The drop in Voltage when you disconnected the hook up certainly explains your previous heater issue. Relays can make the most weird and wonderful noises when they don't get enough juice.

Yep, well i'm glad in some respects that the heater issue turned out to be down to insufficient voltage. Just out of interest is the battery charger unit easily accessible on the westie ?

Yep, well i'm glad in some respects that the heater issue turned out to be down to insufficient voltage. Just out of interest is the battery charger unit easily accessible on the westie ?
I'm not sure I'd describe it as accessible but it believe it lives under the fridge. Slide your bed seat right forward and go in through the boot to remove any panels. I've not dared to venture in on mine. I suspect there will be a handful of eight-legged pests in there that need dealing with first.

It's dead easy. Seat forward, undo the two screws on the lower panel and hook something through the grill and pull outwards.

mrcheesbrough is quite correct about the horrors that lurk behind :)

lol, not more eight legged pests to deal with, encounter enough of the buggers when I was hoovering the van!

Well I'll take the batteries out tomorrow and put them on charge and will see what happens :Nailbiting.

lol, not more eight legged pests to deal with, encounter enough of the buggers when I was hoovering the van!

Well I'll take the batteries out tomorrow and put them on charge and will see what happens :Nailbiting.

Fingers crossed. I think I'd prefer the batteries to be dead as they're definitely easier to remove, certainly easier to source and probably around the same price as replacing with a genuine charger (other makes, most of them cheaper, are available).

Firstly, Dan, I'd be replacing that cup of tea with a beer!

Once you access the charger, check the output voltage when on hook up.

All things are pointing towards new batteries. Deep breath, hand in pocket.

Pod

The problem is, if step 1 is beer, steps 3 through 5 will also be beer, as will the additional steps 6 onwards.

Not sure why I used the word 'problem' there?

Just bought myself a Ctek MSX 7.0 charger from amazon, reviews seem overwhelming good. Might be in vain but i need a new charger in any case so it will be interesting to see how it performs.

Hi Guys, batteries out but on inspection they are lead acid not Gel. Is the Westie charger specifically designed to charge GEL batteries? also aren't lead acid ones not advised due to the fumes they can give off ?

Many thanks

Mark

DSCF1259.JPG

Thanks Dan, going to top up the batteries as water level is very low and whack them on charge. I will also remove the control panel and see out of interest what the jumper settings are.

If the last owner didn't change the jumpers would this still cause the batteries not to charge, or would it still part charge them ?

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:
Overcharge I think. If I remember rightly the voltage used is higher on Gels.

Hi I've just had this happen. The water pump stopped working so I pulled the fuses to check. The 3amp is blown, not had a chance to replace it yet. Voltage was fine prior to pulling it out and all was working last night. Now have the dashes and they don't go away.
Is this fuse related?
Lights and fridge have also stopped working...

Hi I've just had this happen. The water pump stopped working so I pulled the fuses to check. The 3amp is blown, not had a chance to replace it yet. Voltage was fine prior to pulling it out and all was working last night. Now have the dashes and they don't go away.
Is this fuse related?
Lights and fridge have also stopped working...
Update, interior strip lights do work. Fridge seems intermittent (but then they don't run continuously anyway, so jury still out on that - works though when driving).
Just drove 2 hours in the van and still showing dashes for voltage...
Will replace that 3amp fuse tomorrow and see what that changes?
Anyone have a diagram as to what the 5 blade fuses behind the drivers seat each do?
Cheers

Update, interior strip lights do work. Fridge seems intermittent (but then they don't run continuously anyway, so jury still out on that - works though when driving).
Just drove 2 hours in the van and still showing dashes for voltage...
Will replace that 3amp fuse tomorrow and see what that changes?
Anyone have a diagram as to what the 5 blade fuses behind the drivers seat each do?
Cheers

Sounds to me like replacing the fuse should fix it. Until then…

2906b67c6240316d62e649a7179b699a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, so plot thickens...
Managed to get some 3amp fuses. Plugged one in and hey presto, the voltage display comes back, the fridge fires up and all seemingly great...
However... (you knew that was coming!) - If I try the tap then fuse blows again.
So, new problem (well i guess the original problem, but now I know it for sure), why's the tap blowing the fuse? Water ingress? Anyone had this before, what to check/where?
Thanks!

1600678868176.png

Back