Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leakage

B

BlueCalifornia

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Today I opened the door at the passenger side and noticed that quite some water came out. It has been raining a lot during the last week, while my van (T5 from 2005) was just parked. Since the last day it has stopped raining, so I cannot really trace anymore where the water is coming from.

Unfortunately there is now quite some water under this grey panel, which is not very good I think. I have no clue how to remove the panel and dry below it. Does anybody know how to do this?

When pushing on the panel, the water squeezes out from the side and through the seams on top. In this way I tired to remove at least some water.

Reading the forum I'm apparently not the only one with leakage issues (there is even a thread just below this one with a similar issue). I checked all rubbers, which seem to be all ok. Only in one location I found some space between the rubber and window - could this be the cause (will take photo)?

IMG_20221119_140941.jpg

IMG_20221119_141513.jpg

IMG_20221119_141508.jpg

IMG_20221119_140938.jpg

These are great for popping out plastic bits
Manelord Trim Removal Tool - 5Pcs... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TNR9FRR/?tag=eliteelect-21

There seems to be a black cable in your photos. Where does that go? Nothing interfering with seals?

Is the footwell dry? Is the van parked with passenger side lower than drivers side? Your LHD I’m guessing.

My saga

Just checked again and there is some space between the window and the rubber (see attached photo). This is the only place I could find that may cause the issue.

IMG_20221119_160412.jpg

These are great for popping out plastic bits
Manelord Trim Removal Tool - 5Pcs... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TNR9FRR/?tag=eliteelect-21

There seems to be a black cable in your photos. Where does that go? Nothing interfering with seals?

Is the footwell dry? Is the van parked with passenger side lower than drivers side? Your LHD I’m guessing.

My saga
Thanks for the link - will buy the set!

The black cable is just a power cable going to the my 12V/230V converter under the passenger seat.

Footwell is dry (at least it seems - but will do better check and read your story), van was parked level. Yes, it's indeed a left hand drive car.

Just checked again and there is some space between the window and the rubber (see attached photo). This is the only place I could find that may cause the issue.

View attachment 102161
I’ve had a similar problem this week. Like yours there’s definitely a gap between the window seal and glass. My situation is that the water is coming into the van from the lower edge of the door card. Apparently it’s not an uncommon problem and might be due to a failed seal inside the door assembly. There’s a few threads on here covering the issue. As my van is relatively new i’m leaving it to the VW Dealer to look at.

I think the thing I’ve learnt is that water gets everywhere and designers have drain pipes and holes everywhere to let it escape. I imagine all vehicle doors have non watertight window seals but the doors have drains in the bottom. Just a guess.

It may be that somehow the door is draining into the step area you show. You probably need to find where the water is going and work out where it should be going instead.

The (red) screws in your photo. Are they wind deflectors or something?
1668872818426.jpeg
If I were you I would get a watering can or bottle and poor a little water in here and see if it drains out somewhere. That might help you work it out.