Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking Gas

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
On our brand new Cali we seem to be getting through a lot of gas, when i opened up the gas locker today there was a destint smell of gas in there. Is it possible for the regulaor to be faulty? Do they have a fail safe valve on it?

Thanks

My understanding is if it leaks out from into the gas locker it vents out of the bottom.

Are you turning it off when not in use
Is the valve screwed into the bottle fully
Is the gas pipe screwed into the valve fully
Without looking I am sure there should be washers between fittings check they are there

How much gas are you using

The simplest way for looking for the leak is to use water with soap. Apply on the gas tap and near by pipes and regulator, using brush. Leakage should reveal as the soap bubble...

Get it checked by the dealer. A habitation check picked up a leak on my 2008 when it was 2-3 years old.

I would generally agree except here Blakeley states that his Cali is brand new.

VW will get an approved gas tester in to look at the problem as they are not allowed to touch the gas system themselves.

On our brand new Cali we seem to be getting through a lot of gas, when i opened up the gas locker today there was a destint smell of gas in there. Is it possible for the regulaor to be faulty? Do they have a fail safe valve on it?

Thanks
Hello

Make sure that the valve is screwed tight to the bottle, ours worked slack one time in transit & was slightly leaking gas when I turned it on.So now after every journey to site I check the tightness of the regulator before turning on the gas tap.

Never had a problem since then.

For sure you need to check every time you open the gas valve if it is still screwd thight ....not using pliers but by hand!
Driving and a ratteling cylinder can slowly unscrew the bolt...
And best to change the rubber seal every time you place a new cylinder;)
Always check...check...check...and check , it's gas and dangerous!

Thanks
When we first got a Cali I wasn't sure I had got a proper seal when I nipped up the connector. I just happened to have a personal gas meter at the time and put it in the gas compartment. A few minutes later it went off, so I checked the connectors and nipped them up a bit more which sorted the problem.

Thanks for all your answers, we had a gas test on Friday and all tested out OK, I still however get a quick smell of gas each time up open up the locker.

Ok, I know it’s been 4 years, but......
I had noticed a slight whiff of gas when opening the gas locker, not bad enough to get worried about but puzzling.
It was there whether the cylinder tap was on or off. I checked all the fittings with fairy liquid but no bubbles. I changed the tap but no luck. This year I replaced the orange flexible gas pipe as specified and no smell.

Ok, I know it’s been 4 years, but......
I had noticed a slight whiff of gas when opening the gas locker, not bad enough to get worried about but puzzling.
It was there whether the cylinder tap was on or off. I checked all the fittings with fairy liquid but no bubbles. I changed the tap but no luck. This year I replaced the orange flexible gas pipe as specified and no smell.

There's almost always a light smell of gas when i open my gas locker in the rear.
I've renewed the valve and hose but still light smell when opening the lid og the gas locker
I think those seals are never 100% and VW did good making a vent below that container.

Butane gas is naturally odorless, so for safety a stenching agent called Ethyl Mercaptan is added to most commercially available liquid petroleum gasses. When you dismantle any gas equipment especially rubber hoses that have been in contact with the gas they will continue to smell of the stenching agent long after any gas has dispersed. It is possible that over time the inside of the gas storage locker, being a plastic, could pick up some Ethyl Mercaptan contamination. As said above the way to check for any leakage is with soapy water and a brush, or leak detection product are available.

Butane gas is naturally odorless, so for safety a stenching agent called Ethyl Mercaptan is added to most commercially available liquid petroleum gasses. When you dismantle any gas equipment especially rubber hoses that have been in contact with the gas they will continue to smell of the stenching agent long after any gas has dispersed. It is possible that over time the inside of the gas storage locker, being a plastic, could pick up some Ethyl Mercaptan contamination. As said above the way to check for any leakage is with soapy water and a brush, or leak detection product are available.
Good point, but my pong ceased immediately that I replaced the rubber hose so I’m suspicious that the hose had deteriorated. Anyway the stenching agent works!

Good point, but my pong ceased immediately that I replaced the rubber hose so I’m suspicious that the hose had deteriorated. Anyway the stenching agent works!
The law in germany is that it must be changed after 10 yrs
unless yours was damaged or the fittings weren't correct then
4 yrs is quite a short time for the pipe to fail.

The law in germany is that it must be changed after 10 yrs
unless yours was damaged or the fittings weren't correct then
4 yrs is quite a short time for the pipe to fail.
Interesting! The old hose, which would have been the original has 2013 manufactured date on it and a label stating replace 2019. The new one I’ve just fitted has a 2019 manufactured dated and a 2029 replacement date. So maybe the regulations have changed?

Interesting! The old hose, which would have been the original has 2013 manufactured date on it and a label stating replace 2019. The new one I’ve just fitted has a 2019 manufactured dated and a 2029 replacement date. So maybe the regulations have changed?
Yes, i think it did change.
I also got a whiff of gas but it was from my old regulator.