Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking oil behind control panel of 2008 T5

JDVKTM

JDVKTM

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
I have oil dripping out of bottom of control panel and I expect it can only come from the hydrolic oump
Can I fix the leake ?
How do I refill the system with oil ?
The roof only goes up 3/4 way
any advice will be appreciated

Thanks
Johan

I can confirm that the best way to remove the pump to refill it with oil, or replace it, is from the inside of the Cali.
VW specify 9 hours :(, but might be shorter depending on the assistance....

Please let us know the result ;)

Hi Emil,
yes, quite confusion .....
We took the pump out; refill with oil; bleed the system by lifting and lowering the roof many times....but during the whole process did not find any more oil leaking.
Our only conclusion is the it must have been a seal on one of the pipes that shifted and corrected itself.

After that we went to Botswana and Namibia for 2 weeks without any problems :thumb

Can you give a short description how to access the pump/reservoir and fill it with oil, please?

I can complement with pictures and more information (to contribute to this thread) if you get me going ;)

I'm thinking of doing it to, because I suspect low oil level. Havn't found any leak thought...My pump makes a bad/squeaky/screaming noise in the top position and sounds like its running "dry". Don't know if this is a problem but I don't like the sound. Can still get the roof up, or maybe/at least 99% (?).

Here's the most comprehensive thread I have found:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/changing-roof-elevating-jack-roof-dropping-on-one-side.7172/

To get to the pump you have to strip the whole inside ceiling of your Cali

Starting by removing the covers of the B pillars just behind the front seats and then stripping going towards the front windscreen.

it is important to take care when removing the guide of the sliding door as it has 2 rivets on both sides that need to be drilled out first.

the pump has a refill plug on the top right hand side and you need to use a syringe and small plastic pipe to push the oil in to the level; make sure you have the correct oil; MB and Audi uses the same pump for there convertibles and there oil is a lot cheaper than VW

trust this will help;

unfortunately I did not take any photos as we had limited time

Okay, so the guide of the sliding door has to come of.
There's only ceiling from the B pillar and towards the windshield (?) can't work out way you need to remove the guide of the sliding door, but I guess it will be clearer when I start. Thank you for the update.

So, I have done it today, refilled the reservoir to the hydraulic pump for the roof.
I found another description for this job, thank you "suegamlin@aol.com"
#39 + https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...ng-jack-roof-dropping-on-one-side.7172/page-2

Hi - very simple way of refilling the reservoir which is joined to the hydraulic pump, you take down the control panel where the interior light is at the front, loosen headligning - 2 stainless steel torque screws hold a plastic strap and allows you to lower the foam casing which encloses the pump. That will swing down and you can see the reservoir. Undo jubilee clip, slide out bowl, fill to level, repeat the process. Hope this is of some help.

I didn't fully recognized the description while doing it, perhaps it could vary from model year to model year?
Disconnect all three batteries.
From the sunglass compartment reach in with your fingers and release the interior light switch panel, proceed with releasing all other panels such as control panel, interior light and the panel next to the windscreen. Undo all electric connections. Then undo four screws holding the frame, and lower it, remove it.
There is some black styrofoam enclosing the pump, cut it in two halves and remove it. Next undo four screws on a sheet of metal /bracket holding the hydraulic pump. Lower the pump just a little bit and push it towards the right side of the car, only 5-6 cm, undo the electric connection on the other side. Carefully monouver the pump out under the taight hole in the headligning. All those steps are really tricky but possible.
Undo the filler plug and fill it up between Min and Max marking. I bought the expensive stuff from Vw, paid 140 euros for 1 L.
Refit everything. Done.
This made my roof to function 100% without bad sound in the top position and without the sound of the pump running dry.

View attachment 25825

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7804.JPG

IMG_7805.JPG

IMG_7807.JPG

IMG_7809.JPG

IMG_7814.JPG

IMG_7815.JPG

IMG_7817.JPG

IMG_7820.JPG

So, I have done it today, refilled the reservoir to the hydraulic pump for the roof.
#39 + https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...ng-jack-roof-dropping-on-one-side.7172/page-2

Hi - very simple way of refilling the reservoir which is joined to the hydraulic pump, you take down the control panel where the interior light is at the front, loosen headligning - 2 stainless steel torque screws hold a plastic strap and allows you to lower the foam casing which encloses the pump. That will swing down and you can see the reservoir. Undo jubilee clip, slide out bowl, fill to level, repeat the process. Hope this is of some help.

I didn't fully recognized the description while doing it, perhaps it could vary from model year to model year?
From the sunglass compartment reach in with your fingers and release the interior light switch panel, proceed with releasing all other panels such as control panel, interior light and the panel next to the windscreen. Undo all electric connections. Then undo four screws holding the frame, and lower it, remove it.
Next undo four screws on a sheet of metal /bracket holding the hydraulic pump.
There is some black styrofoam enclosing the pump, cut it in two halves and remove it.
Lower the pump just a little bit and push it towards the right side of the car, only 5-6 cm, undo the electric connection on the other side. Carefully monouver the pump out under the taight hole in the headligning. All those steps are really tricky but possible.
Undo the filler plug and fill it up between Min and Max marking. I bought the expensive stuff from Vw, paid 140 euros for 1 L.
Refit everything. Done.
This made my roof to function 100% without bad sound in the top position and without the sound of the pump running dry.

IMG_7797.JPG

View attachment 25826

View attachment 25827

View attachment 25828

View attachment 25833

View attachment 25829

View attachment 25830

View attachment 25831

View attachment 25832

View attachment 25834

There is some black styrofoam enclosing the pump, cut it in two halves and remove it.
Lower the pump just a little bit and push it towards the right side of the car, only 5-6 cm, undo the electric connection on the other side. Carefully monouver the pump out under the taight hole in the headligning. All those steps are really tricky but possible.
Refit everything. Done.

View attachment 25835

View attachment 25826

View attachment 25827

View attachment 25828

View attachment 25833

View attachment 25829

View attachment 25830

View attachment 25831

View attachment 25832

View attachment 25834
What kind of oil and where did you buy it? Same goes for the hypodermic.

thank you

What kind of oil and where did you buy it? Same goes for the hypodermic.

thank you
Cycle shops will have the syringe. Its used to bleed hydraulic brake systems. Get the oil from VW which will be the most reliable (if costly) source for the proper stuff.

Cycle shops will have the syringe. Its used to bleed hydraulic brake systems. Get the oil from VW which will be the most reliable (if costly) source for the proper stuff.
Thank you

Theres a YouTube video of a German (I think) professional cabriolet technician. He shows how to do service on various components in a particularly cabriolet system. All the components are the same as in California elevating roof. He use a Febi bilstein oil I think, colorless (not red as Vw stuff) but he says that it is exactly the same oil, but without dye. This stuff is much cheaper, I will use that in the future…

I had some issues with My roof top not going all the way up. (Only 3/4 way up)
Found out there was slightly low oil level. And though this could be the issue.

200€ for 1 liter of vw oil was too pricey (I thought). So bought the ZH-M oil. For about 25€
But after one time almost up and the down again now the roof won’t open at all. Even try to push hard and it won’t move a bit. (Fuse is okey, the pump is running)
Could it be air traps?
Might be other issues than low oil level in my case.
Should I replace hydraulic pump or can it be repaired?
What else could be the cause?

Anyone knows if it’s possible to open roof top manually at all to inspect the hydraulic arms (or what it’s called)

Haven’t heard this one before…
“Slightly low oil level”. My experience is that it takes significantly low oil level for the roof not to elevate full.
Air traps is not very likely, haven’t ever had problem with that. The car is level?
Any fault codes in hidden menu (rotary knob + the button under)..?
No leaks around the hydraulic rams/cylinders? If you can’t open the roof to check, you could just use your nose under the rubber strip, the hydraulic oil has a peculiar smell to it.
There could be an internal leak in the hydraulic pump. You could replace the pump, but I guess it is expensive. I suppose it is possible to repair. I have seen other threads in this forum about disassemble/repair the pump. You could also look into YouTube channel like the one above…
I don’t know if it is possible to manually open the roof…

Haven’t heard this one before…
“Slightly low oil level”. My experience is that it takes significantly low oil level for the roof not to elevate full.
Air traps is not very likely, haven’t ever had problem with that. The car is level?
Any fault codes in hidden menu (rotary knob + the button under)..?
No leaks around the hydraulic rams/cylinders? If you can’t open the roof to check, you could just use your nose under the rubber strip, the hydraulic oil has a peculiar smell to it.
There could be an internal leak in the hydraulic pump. You could replace the pump, but I guess it is expensive. I suppose it is possible to repair. I have seen other threads in this forum about disassemble/repair the pump. You could also look into YouTube channel like the one above…
I don’t know if it is possible to manually open the roof…
Thanks for prompt reply.
car level ok
Fault code 1000 (thanks did check that)
No visible or smelly leaks

Thanks for prompt reply.
car level ok
Fault code 1000 (thanks did check that)
No visible or smelly leaks
Fault code 1000 commonly means one or more of the 4 sensors, 2 on each hydraulic ram, has failed so the Control Panel doesn’t know what position the roof is in so stops working.
The roof can be opened by exposing the hydraulic pump connectors , disconnecting them and applying 12v to the pump connector. Pump exposed by removing Control Panel and lights around it.
The sensors can be replaced individually or VW will replace sensors + wiring loom complete.

See here.

Attachments

• How to Replace Roof Sensors.pdf
    792.9 KB · Views: 10

Refit everything. Done.

View attachment 25835

View attachment 25826

View attachment 25827

View attachment 25828

View attachment 25833

View attachment 25829

View attachment 25830

View attachment 25831

View attachment 25832

View attachment 25834

Hopefully you can help, I’m following the same process outlined in your post but I’m stuck.

I removed all the parts to get to the pump motor to check the oil level, but I have a block of foam, and don’t see the metal plate you refer to. Also, there is a plastic strip in the way holding the foam block - see the green arrow.

Did you have the same problem ?

42414EAD-8A61-4153-BAB9-013B5928BF59.jpeg

Back