Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop top canvas

couplands

couplands

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
First trip out in our new Cali over the last few days in lots of rain.

Is it usual for the pop top canvas to let some drops of water in..? It was coming from a few areas on the front section, around the zip and seemingly from water being trapped by the fly nets against the canvas and coming through the stitching.

Also, we had to lower the roof during the rain and as we did it squeezed water out on the floor behind the drivers seat.

I’m hoping that once it’s been wetted a few times it will seal better.

Is there any waterproofing needed on the canvas or is it best to leave it alone..?

Last edited:
Unusual to get water through like that. We were out last night when it rained hard for example, and nothing through. But we parked so that the back of the van was facing approx Southwest - so the roof took most of the battering, and rear overhang of the roof is the deepest. I don’t recall that we’ve ever pitched the van so the front of the pop top has been facing into the rain. There have been a few occasions when we’ve lowered the roof ahead of a storm blowing over - and slept downstairs.

Never try and waterproof the canvas - definitely not advisable. It needs to breath.

Unusual to get water through like that. We were out last night when it rained hard for example, and nothing through. But we parked so that the back of the van was facing approx Southwest - so the roof took most of the battering, and rear overhang of the roof is the deepest. I don’t recall that we’ve ever pitched the van so the front of the pop top has been facing into the rain. There have been a few occasions when we’ve lowered the roof ahead of a storm blowing over - and slept downstairs.

Never try and waterproof the canvas - definitely not advisable. It needs to breath.
I’m hoping it’s just new canvas that needs some wetting to be more waterproof.

We were parked at the Carsington Caravan Club site amoung the trees, so sheltered from the worst of the wind. Not even sure which way it was blowing as it was swirling around the trees. Spent most of yesterday picking pine needles out of the pop top mechanism, note-to-self don’t pick camp sites in pine forests…;-)

Is it usual for the pop top canvas to let some drops of water in..? It was coming from a few areas on the front section, around the zip and seemingly from water being trapped by the fly nets against the canvas and coming through the stitching.

Also, we had to lower the roof during the rain and as we did it squeezed water out on the floor behind the drivers seat.

Is there any waterproofing needed on the canvas or is it best to leave it alone..?
We’ve only had water ingress once. We were in the Outer Hebrides, it rained all night and we were side on to very strong winds.

Never had it again.

I’m hoping it’s just new canvas that needs some wetting to be more waterproof.

We were parked at the Carsington Caravan Club site amoung the trees, so sheltered from the worst of the wind. Not even sure which way it was blowing as it was swirling around the trees. Spent most of yesterday picking pine needles out of the pop top mechanism, note-to-self don’t pick camp sites in pine forests…;-)
It was probably the angle of the rain hitting the canvas. Our canvas has had rain on the sides before now and nothing has got in. Nothing on the front face though.

We parked under trees at Castleford CAMC site (good site btw). It took me a full day the remove the tree sap from the van.

I have had only one occasion when this happened that was after two weeks in Spain I think the canvas had dried out in the sun making it more porous since then it’s been fine,also make sure the zips are at the top not at the sides the flaps that cover the zip are not as wide as at the top.

The thing you have to remember is that it is a “Canvas” . It’s certainly not 100% waterproof. It’s very water resistant. Really just like a very expensive 1 layer tent only modern tents are very waterproof. Recent holiday in Spain at around 3 am the heavens opened up and we have never seen rain like it . It wasn’t just rain but hail and ice thunder and lightning which when your head is only 6 inches from the alloy roof it was rather frightening. Moved downstairs until it subsided after 2 hours. I imagined from the noise of the hail that there would be no paint left but it was left untouched.
However although the canvas was quite wet to the touch nothing actually came through. I do every couple of years give the canvas a good coat of waterproofer which I think makes a lot of difference.

The canvas is not waterproof but it helps I nocticed when you put a iso top on the inside to keep some of the water out. Or better yet on the outside when using the rainbow top cover( keeps the roof clear for those who have an solar panel)

The canvas is not waterproof but it helps I nocticed when you put a iso top on the inside to keep some of the water out.
I agree on this. 3 weeks on Shetland and no water ingress at all. The canvas can get wet on the inside when there is stuff touching it. It's the same with a regular tent.

I agree on this. 3 weeks on Shetland and no water ingress at all. The canvas can get wet on the inside when there is stuff touching it. It's the same with a regular tent.

Internal ISOTOP will prevent wicking, and will avoid a damp mattress if you need to close the roof when it’s wet.

Great (but expensive..!) answer…;-)
Probably a good product, and many say the ISO Top protects against touching wet canvas. Expensive as you say, and you’ve got to store the front part somewhere when closing the roof. We’ve not yet needed the insulation properties (time will tell), and our feeling is that we’d prefer to allow air to dry it through on both sides of the canvas. I wonder if you get moisture between the layers will it go mouldy?? The only moisture we’ve had within the poptop is a bit of condensation on the metal surround to the hatch one morning - the RH must’ve been quite high as it was only about 10c outside, but we were both sleeping upstairs.

We have the Brandrup ISO Top internal window insulation and that is good to prevent condensation.

In France a couple of weeks back we had a monster downpour in the night together with very strong and gusty winds across the van…… got so bad that we pulled the roof down and slept downstairs.

Later that day we popped the roof up and the canvas and mattress were quite damp on the side that took the hammering (my side :()…….. just left it up in the sun and wind for the afternoon then all good again.

Lesson learnt was deffo try to position arse end into wind if possible. It does make a difference.

In France a couple of weeks back we had a monster downpour in the night together with very strong and gusty winds across the van…… got so bad that we pulled the roof down and slept downstairs.

Later that day we popped the roof up and the canvas and mattress were quite damp on the side that took the hammering (my side :()…….. just left it up in the sun and wind for the afternoon then all good again.

Lesson learnt was deffo try to position arse end into wind if possible. It does make a difference.
We’re up in Glencoe at the end of next week and the weather looks wet. We’ll see how it leaks then…!

We’re up in Glencoe at the end of next week and the weather looks wet. We’ll see how it leaks then…!
How’s your roof been?

We noticed water coming through our seams earlier after about an hour of rain (not heavy or windy). This was the first time the roof has been up in rain and it was a bit of a surprise to feel water dripping on our heads sat in the two front seats after so little rain.

Images from the front of the pop top around the semi circle “window”…

IMG_1350.jpeg

IMG_1349.jpeg

How’s your roof been?

We noticed water coming through our seams earlier after about an hour of rain (not heavy or windy). This was the first time the roof has been up in rain and it was a bit of a surprise to feel water dripping on our heads sat in the two front seats after so little rain.

View attachment 108078

View attachment 108079
it’s been fine since, I think they need a good “wetting” for them to be water proof. We did get some water in the back corners too, but that’s also dried up.

Hopefully yours will be the same.

How’s your roof been?

View attachment 108078

View attachment 108079
If it continues then might be worth a spray of waterproofer on that area. That should sort it.

How’s your roof been?

View attachment 108078

View attachment 108079
How has your roof been? I’m also seeing water coming through those seems on my brand new T6 roof.

How has your roof been? I’m also seeing water coming through those seems on my brand new T6 roof.
Sorry to hear you’re also having problems, this is now being raised by lots of new owners on the forum, so be sure to check out these topics and add your vote to the poll:

DOES YOUR T6.1 DOUBLE SKINNED BELLOWS LEAK?

2023 OCEAN LEAKING ROOF FABRIC

LEAKING POP TOPS ON 2023 CALIFORNIA OCEANS

Hello. I've just had my bellows replaced and used them for the first time on a trip to Scotland. The leaks coming through the stitching in your photos look very much like the leaks I had on two nights. Oddly though, I had some nights with very heavy downpours and they performed fine, so it doesn't appear to be consistent. I think wind direction may be a factor. I think that if the wind is blowing strong enough, it pushes the water through the tiny stitching holes. If the wind isn't strong enough, or isn't blowing at the right angle or direction, then the water will run down the outside surface of the bellows without getting into the vehicle. Whatever the cause, the present design is clearly not fit for purpose. 20230717_023305.jpg

Hello. I've just had my bellows replaced and used them for the first time on a trip to Scotland. The leaks coming through the stitching in your photos look very much like the leaks I had on two nights. Oddly though, I had some nights with very heavy downpours and they performed fine, so it doesn't appear to be consistent. I think wind direction may be a factor. I think that if the wind is blowing strong enough, it pushes the water through the tiny stitching holes. If the wind isn't strong enough, or isn't blowing at the right angle or direction, then the water will run down the outside surface of the bellows without getting into the vehicle. Whatever the cause, the present design is clearly not fit for purpose. View attachment 111944
There was no wind when my bellows leaked. Rain was moderate/heavy for an extended period of time. However, there’s no suggestion in the handbook that the bellows aren’t designed for that. It only mentions strong wind/driving rain, of which there was none.

Hello. I've just had my bellows replaced and used them for the first time on a trip to Scotland. The leaks coming through the stitching in your photos look very much like the leaks I had on two nights. Oddly though, I had some nights with very heavy downpours and they performed fine, so it doesn't appear to be consistent. I think wind direction may be a factor. I think that if the wind is blowing strong enough, it pushes the water through the tiny stitching holes. If the wind isn't strong enough, or isn't blowing at the right angle or direction, then the water will run down the outside surface of the bellows without getting into the vehicle. Whatever the cause, the present design is clearly not fit for purpose. View attachment 111944
To confirm then (as this is very significant!) - you had a new style bellows originally (pale inside, different colour outside and two layers), it leaked, so you had it replaced and the replacement is also leaking?

To confirm then (as this is very significant!) - you had a new style bellows originally (pale inside, different colour outside and two layers), it leaked, so you had it replaced and the replacement is also leaking?
Given there seems to be no design change so far one would expect any replacement of the same part to fail in the same way. Anyone getting a new bellows put on is likely wasting their time for a dealer to keep them happy. Surprised VW are even approving the claims. Does seem to point to it being parts design rather than a batch failure.

Given there seems to be no design change so far one would expect any replacement of the same part to fail in the same way. Anyone getting a new bellows put on is likely wasting their time for a dealer to keep them happy. Surprised VW are even approving the claims. Does seem to point to it being parts design rather than a batch failure.
Indeed, but it does suggest (as per your (?) other post about the variables, e.g. install methodology, manufacture etc..) that it is indeed a design issue.

I think @MrMouseinaHouse definitely needs to raise this back with the same dealer again so they're aware the "fix" doesn't work, who will in turn communicate that back to VWCV for further advice I would assume, adding weight to the issue.

Yes, it was the new style, double skinned bellows. I had them fitted a few months ago and have emailed the VW van centre that installed them. I'm waiting on their reply.