Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop top.

P

PAS

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi
had my first night out in light to moderate rain this week ( Cali is new to me - 2018 model bought in June 19). Noticed about a few teaspoons of water above the drivers door on the inside ...looks like I have a ‘soak through’ point on the front. See pictures - if you look at the outside shot you can see the soak through point. I was parked back into the wind and it wasn’t that bad for the west coast of Norway! Any ideas on how to easily fix? I was thinking of spraying water proofing agent on that corner... any suggestions and experience welcome...
thanks
Paul

BCB3A7BE-EAA0-4ACD-9249-CC0A8450121D.jpeg

1B3AC57F-4260-4A88-AB2E-48C18B19490D.jpeg

Hi
had my first night out in light to moderate rain this week ( Cali is new to me - 2018 model bought in June 19). Noticed about a few teaspoons of water above the drivers door on the inside ...looks like I have a ‘soak through’ point on the front. See pictures - if you look at the outside shot you can see the soak through point. I was parked back into the wind and it wasn’t that bad for the west coast of Norway! Any ideas on how to easily fix? I was thinking of spraying water proofing agent on that corner... any suggestions and experience welcome...
thanks
Paul

View attachment 51417

View attachment 51418
When it is windy rain can blow through the ventilation fly screens in the pop top.

Long periode of rain and wind and amost all canvas wil let water in .
Even worse on the old type canvas (T5 )
A outside rooftopper can help .

Has anything been rubbing against it on the inside? That could set up moisture wicking.

Hi there
Not that I’m aware of no... it’s basically a new van and when I bought it the plastic cover was still in the upper mattress... don’t think the previous owner (one winter season) used the pop up That much. Thinking of trying the spray...

Has anything been rubbing against it on the inside? That could set up moisture wicking.
Thanks for the reply!

Are you certain it's not condensation (I can't see the photos too great on my phone)?

Hi there.
Pretty sure. It’s just in one corner and the rest of the top was dry on the inside. Thanks. P

Hi we had the same problem after 2 days rain in italy in May this year ,took it to VW and was told they cannot guarantee the canvas to be 100% waterproof and said it would be a good idea to buy a cover .Just not good enough on a expensive van.

Most canvases have to be soaked a few times to improve the waterproofing. Using a waterproofing agent is not recommended by VW.

Most canvases have to be soaked a few times to improve the waterproofing. Using a waterproofing agent is not recommended by VW.
Hi
Thanks for the feedback.... it wasn’t that bad, just hoping it stays manageable. Looking at a rainbow screens cover as a good solution - need the extra insulation up here anyway!
P

Ours leaked a little at first. Now it’s fine. Actually I hosed our pop top when the van was new to wet it. I fitted an isotop as soon as I was sure the pop top was watertight. Maybe yours has not been used in the rain before?

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Hi
This was the first time I have used it in the rain.... I seriously doubt the previous owner did. Maybe that’s the deal? I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tip.
p

Hi
This was the first time I have used it in the rain.... I seriously doubt the previous owner did. Maybe that’s the deal? I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tip.
p

As with any breathing canvas it does take a few wettings for the fibres to properly seal. I've lost count of how many mountain tents breathed in more moisture than I breathed out until a few trips had been done.

Last edited:
Emboldened I shall take the hose to it...may remove the mattress first
Many thanks to all.
p

Emboldened I shall take the hose to it...may remove the mattress first
Many thanks to all.
p

Personally I would sleep on it and just take the Cali camping to get it wet. Looks like we are going to have rain that Noah would be proud of in the next few days :D

Personally I would sleep on it and just take the Cali camping to get it wet. Looks like we are going to have rain that Noah would be proud of in the next few days :D
Maybe not in Norway, where @PAS is.

Maybe not in Norway, where @PAS is.

I have yet to be in Norway when nothing has been falling from the sky. According to Accuweather most of North West Europe is being inundated with the same weather system that's going to make our lives miserable in the next few days.

Well, perhaps not miserable in Wales, you're used to it :D

Hi
thanks
Paul
Please find an edited version of your second Photo showing areas A, B, C and D.
Roof Leak.JPG
I am wondering if the seeds of your problem were sewn some time ago and the recent rain merely advertised a problem not yet considered.
I noticed in area A there are some deposits/accumulation of dirt. In my opinion this can only have come from a defective seal between the aluminium roof and the front roof cap. This dirt has been "washed" down through a gap between the front cap and the seal on the front edge of the aluminium roof whilst the roof is down. The water drains away underneath the seal D into the area B and eventually down the front drain hole at location C.
During medium/heavy rain the area B can fill up to a level above the bottom of the pop-up canvas seal for the duration of the heavy rain (I have experienced this in Denmark during the Romo club meet last year). This is especially the case if the drain hole in area C has been blocked or partially blocked by an accumulation of dirt and debris. You say you doubt the previous owner used the popup very much. That suggests to me that they also didn't make sure the drain hole at location C was clear and as a result it is now at least partially blocked.
You may want to investigate the condition of the drain hole at location C and also the opposing one on the other side of your Cali just to be certain that they are doing their job properly.
OK, how to discover if you have a blocked or partially blocked drain? Using a jug (not a hose) simply pour cold water into the area B to a depth of about 6mm. It should drain away almost immediately with a satisfying gurgle (not loud). If not you need to have look at your drains as the problem will only get worse.
If you search the forum you will find good detail about how to clear these drain holes but be careful with the use of any sharp items/implements as the drains have a 90 degree bend about 40mm in. (I use pipe cleaners but even then with great care).
Please let us all know how you get on.

I have yet to be in Norway when nothing has been falling from the sky. According to Accuweather most of North West Europe is being inundated with the same weather system that's going to make our lives miserable in the next few days.

Well, perhaps not miserable in Wales, you're used to it :D
Sunny here at the moment.

View attachment 51460
I am wondering if the seeds of your problem were sewn some time ago and the recent rain merely advertised a problem not yet considered.
I noticed in area A there are some deposits/accumulation of dirt. In my opinion this can only have come from a defective seal between the aluminium roof and the front roof cap. This dirt has been "washed" down through a gap between the front cap and the seal on the front edge of the aluminium roof whilst the roof is down. The water drains away underneath the seal D into the area B and eventually down the front drain hole at location C.
During medium/heavy rain the area B can fill up to a level above the bottom of the pop-up canvas seal for the duration of the heavy rain (I have experienced this in Denmark during the Romo club meet last year). This is especially the case if the drain hole in area C has been blocked or partially blocked by an accumulation of dirt and debris. You say you doubt the previous owner used the popup very much. That suggests to me that they also didn't make sure the drain hole at location C was clear and as a result it is now at least partially blocked.
You may want to investigate the condition of the drain hole at location C and also the opposing one on the other side of your Cali just to be certain that they are doing their job properly.
OK, how to discover if you have a blocked or partially blocked drain? Using a jug (not a hose) simply pour cold water into the area B to a depth of about 6mm. It should drain away almost immediately with a satisfying gurgle (not loud). If not you need to have look at your drains as the problem will only get worse.
If you search the forum you will find good detail about how to clear these drain holes but be careful with the use of any sharp items/implements as the drains have a 90 degree bend about 40mm in. (I use pipe cleaners but even then with great care).
Hi
Right then. No hoses! Will investigate and report back - again...thanks to all for your support.
p

View attachment 51460
Hi @Jabberwocky you stated 'The water drains away underneath the seal D into the area B' but I thought seal D was a complete seal across the whole van so how can water get under it unless the adhesive has lifted and a gap formed?

Hi @Jabberwocky you stated 'The water drains away underneath the seal D into the area B' but I thought seal D was a complete seal across the whole van so how can water get under it unless the adhesive has lifted and a gap formed?
I had also made this assumption about seal D but it has two very specific areas where there is a gap underneath (no adhesive) that allows water from area Y to drain under the seal, location A, into area B. This gap is present on both sides of the van. You will over time see an accumulation of dirt (You can see some in your photo). You should clean this dirt away every so often.
If you want to avoid water getting into this area when the roof is closed you need to investigate the seal between the fixed roof, area Y, and the elevating roof part. This seal is attached to the front edge of the elevating roof. Is the lip of the seal making good contact with the location A? If not it will leak along the path I have described.

1572185379748.png

I had also made this assumption about seal D but it has two very specific areas where there is a gap underneath (no adhesive) that allows water from area Y to drain under the seal, location A, into area B. This gap is present on both sides of the van. You will over time see an accumulation of dirt (You can see some in your photo). You should clean this dirt away every so often.
If you want to avoid water getting into this area when the roof is closed you need to investigate the seal between the fixed roof, area Y, and the elevating roof part. This seal is attached to the front edge of the elevating roof. Is the lip of the seal making good contact with the location A? If not it will leak along the path I have described.

View attachment 52015
Thanks for the confirmation, best remove the sealer I put in those gaps today :)

Thanks for the confirmation, best remove the sealer I put in those gaps today :)
Ha, indeed!!
I did the same until I figured out how the interaction of all the elements came together.