Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking roof

M

Mac Of Phillack

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi everyone. I have a roof that's leaking. It's not the canvas. It's coming into the cab through the headlining above the driver and passenger area just to the side of each door.
It's not a little leak. The lining is sopping wet and I'm concerned water is making its way down the windscreen pillar area behind the blinds and could affect the electrics.
How can this occur? Any help greatly appreciated. Year is 2007.

My roof has leaked just once, in the torrential rain at Calis on the Farm, underneath the curved panel in this picture. I have no idea where the water got in but I don't think the canvas was at fault as it was dry under our Mutze. Is where your leak originates? Not sure from your description.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371490418.813266.jpg

Mac Of Phillack said:
Hi everyone. I have a roof that's leaking. It's not the canvas. It's coming into the cab through the headlining above the driver and passenger area just to the side of each door.
It's not a little leak. The lining is sopping wet and I'm concerned water is making its way down the windscreen pillar area behind the blinds and could affect the electrics.
How can this occur? Any help greatly appreciated. Year is 2007.

Does the roof still operate I have heard of the roof hydraulic pump leaking and that's above the
Front seats :?:

May well be blocked drain pipes which run down through the "A" pillars.
Water collects on the top (particularly with roof up) and runs forward if van parked on even the slightest slope.

Given it's a 2007, that's quite a while camping... would be too suprised if these got blocked with debris from the roof.

Worth checking.

M

Morning all and thanks for the replies. As you say, the drainage channels were blocked. All sorted now thanks and we're back to bone dry interior. Rather scary when it happened though.
Hope you all have a great summer camping as summer's back again down here next week. So come on down!

Mac Of Phillack said:
Morning all and thanks for the replies. As you say, the drainage channels were blocked. All sorted now thanks and we're back to bone dry interior. Rather scary when it happened though.
Hope you all have a great summer camping as summer's back again down here next week. So come on down!

It would be good to know exactly where these drainage channels are and how they were cleaned, Mac, if you could :thumb

Mac Of Phillack said:

Excellent, glad it's sorted.

Rgds

Mark

Yes, I would also like to check my drain channels - 08 Cali so should be looked at.

How do you find them, where are they located at, I presume, the upper end??

Lewis

Hi,
Yes I just had the same problem, water running onto both seats from the roof. We just got back from Troyes, ( no shortage of water from that trip !!) but I thought I had dried out everything. Came to use it today and discovered the problem, quite a lot of water dropping from the roof cavity onto the seats

Where exactly are the 'A' Pillars and what is the best way to clean them out ?

Appreciate your advice
Barry

Morning all. The drainage holes are at both ends of the roof on both sides. They are situated at the corners to the side of the canvas roof on the metal section where the elevating mechanism is. If you remove the plastic cover for the front section, about 20cm long, ou will find the drainage channels, two of them under the electric cabling at the extreme front.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mac

Hi, I have had a number of issues with the roof leaking. I had my roof replaced by VW because of the kinking issue ( that's another topic) . Then I had leaks over both sides on the front seats, opening the hatch you got drenched with water so something obviously wrong with the new roof. It was back to the dealer ( under warranty ) 3 times. First they said the front seal needed re setting, then there was apparently a problem with the inner seal and then on the third occasion they said they had been talking to VW and established that the water was getting in through some rivets on the roof itself and that they have now fixed the problem. Touch wood I have just driven down to Cornwall in heavy rain and it's bone dry.

In short it seems there can be a number of issues that can cause water ingress into the roof. Drainage holes being blocked, inner or outer seals not sealing correctly or water getting in through rivets in the roof! I guess in doubt talk to the dealer. Even though I had recurring issues I have to say they were very attentive.
Barry

hi all just been to look at a cali found the ns front above the a post pillar trim headlining was soaking wet the owner has had the roof repaired at vw approximately a year ago anyone had this problem as its not good that there are so many defects..
i have had over 20 years experience with vw vans and campers and have decided to buy a t5 california but the more i look into and see the problems i am unsure weather to build another camper from scratch again

The problem with Forums such as this is that many of the posts are about problems. Very few posts extol the advantages. Even conversions have their problems. If you are just going to concentrate on the negative instead of the positive then maybe a conversion is for you, but then you you have been down that road before and didn't get what you wanted.
So in the case of the van you viewed, what was the problem with the roof, who repaired it, a Cali expert or a basic Van dealership, and did the owner know or did it come as a surprise to him that it was leaking?

That is very true.

I've never had a car without it's problems, albeit minor ones. I've had minor problems with my Cali. Given the complexity of it I would be amazed if I didn't. The brilliant way that most bits work , 99 and a bit percent most bits, the brilliant design and the fantastic drivability make this the most enjoyable, useful, versatle and well mannered vehicle that I have ever owned.

My dentist loves it. I see him twice as often now because I'm wearing my teeth out by smiling so much.

Drainage holes at front of roof are blocked have tried rodding but no success. Anyone out their have an answer please?

John

Drainage holes at front of roof are blocked have tried rodding but no success. Anyone out their have an answer please?

John
This might help. Shows the shape of the front drain tube, presumably behind the "A" pillar trim. and opening, possibly at bottom of windscreen within engine bay. You would need thick, but flexible wire with a smooth end , possibly some solder blob on a piece of multi strand single electrical wire, to get round the bends.
Or try from below.
http://www.partsbase.org/vw/campmob...500-roof-frame-reinforcement-roof-frame-seal/

Not cleaned the drains in the van yet but on the soft top cars we had I used net curtain wire, the coiled springy stuff covered with plastic an it worked really well

Not cleaned the drains in the van yet but on the soft top cars we had I used net curtain wire, the coiled springy stuff covered with plastic an it worked really well
That might work, but there is a 90' bend in the front drainage tube, and it is quit narrow diameter so it does depend how flexible the wire is.

How did that work for cleaning them? I'm thinking of using plastic strimmer wire :)
It didn’t. It wouldn’t get past the bend. I think there is a raised collar at the junction. I use a syringe and tube now. Strummer wire might work .

Hi,
What was the source of the leak I'm the end and how was it cured? Thanks

Hi,
What was the source of the leak I'm the end and how was it cured? Thanks
As stated in the Post you quoted, Blocked Roof Drains. There are 4 roof drains that can block, 2 x rear and 2 x front.
Rear- open tailgate and you see a grommet with a hole at the top R & L. You should be able to see through them, if not flush air/water through to clear.
Front - open roof remove plastic cover over the hydraulic ram, just unclips, and drain hole is at the front below wiring loom entry into front roof panel. DO not try to push wire through. Drain makes a 90o bend within front A pillar and there is a push connection that can easily be disconnected. Blow air or water through with a syringe to unblock. Water runs out of a grommet at base of windscreen into scuttle and hence to the ground via wheel arch.

Back