Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking window over sink

Red wine lover

Red wine lover

Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hi there, the window over the sink leaks with heavy rain. Checked that it's properly closed but still seems to happen, anyone any ideas please

Hi there, the window over the sink leaks with heavy rain. Checked that it's properly closed but still seems to happen, anyone any ideas please
There are drain holes at the base of window. Have you checked they are clear?

If the drains are clear, it’s a common fault for these windows to leak.
Sometimes cleaning and special grease on the seals on the sliding window helps.
My whole window was replaced under warranty, which is common.

Even if the drains are clear there can be problems with the drains leaking into the inside of the van, puddle in the cupboard and on top of the waste tank.
I've had windows replaced due to this fault.
Have a search for "leaking windows" .... there's lots of us sufferers!

Are the rubber seals clean , if there's debrid somewhere it can cause a tiny opening and water ingress.
Are you 100% sure the water is coming in thru the sliding window and not higher up from the roof ?

Same problem on my T5 SE, cleaning the seals well and applying silicone grease helped lots.
Also I think the drain referred to by ArunAlec is at the front of the window so if you park facing backwards down a steep slope the channel can overflow before the water has chance to drain away.

Same problem on my T5 SE, cleaning the seals well and applying silicone grease helped lots.
Also I think the drain referred to by ArunAlec is at the front of the window so if you park facing backwards down a steep slope the channel can overflow before the water has chance to drain away.
There’s actually a drain at each end of the channel but if as with mine they were faulty the water dripped inside.

Only at the front on mine as in this video

Only at the front on mine as in this video
The second one is hidden by the sliding frame but is there in the window channel.
see post 8 in this thread...https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/water-in-and-underneath-cabinet.31315/#post-363589

Last edited:
Just to reiterate, the windows in the video are not fitted to Californias.
Our 2014 Kombi T5.1 had identical windows to our 2018 Cali T6 which closed flush in the last 2cm. The non flush ones are aftermarket.

The trick is not to slam them shut and use both hands on opposite side edges, pushing outwards at the end.

The second one is hidden by the sliding frame but is there in the window channel.
see post 8 in this thread...https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/water-in-and-underneath-cabinet.31315/#post-363589
[/QUOTE]
Hi ArunAlec, that's really interesting. I checked mine this morning as not parking backwards down a slope means I have to reverse out of my drive which is not ideal. If I am just missing a blocked drain that would be great. This is a close up of the back end of the drain channel in my 2015 SE. Am I missing something?
IMG_20200103_075822.jpg

Our 2014 Kombi T5.1 had identical windows to our 2018 Cali T6 which closed flush in the last 2cm. The non flush ones are aftermarket.

The trick is not to slam them shut and use both hands on opposite side edges, pushing outwards at the end.
You're right, the windows in the video are the same flush ones fitted to Californias.

@Bob Rankin - You could consider your vehicle an exception if it didn't have sliding windows that leaked!

Cleaning and applying some sort of lubricant to the seals discourages the wet from passing but the problem is always in the drain system. The way in which the parts of the drain channel fit together has always been the problem. Take the lower cover off the slide and look how they DON'T fit together properly.
VW have known about this problem since 2003 (advent of the T5) but never fixed it. I've had three T5s and a T6 all of which have leaked to some degree. The dealer tried to fix it on one even down to changing out the whole window but it was never successful.

@Bob Rankin - You could consider your vehicle an exception if it didn't have sliding windows that leaked!

Cleaning and applying some sort of lubricant to the seals discourages the wet from passing but the problem is always in the drain system. The way in which the parts of the drain channel fit together has always been the problem. Take the lower cover off the slide and look how they DON'T fit together properly.
VW have known about this problem since 2003 (advent of the T5) but never fixed it. I've had three T5s and a T6 all of which have leaked to some degree. The dealer tried to fix it on one even down to changing out the whole window but it was never successful.
I imagine there are a lot of owners who won’t have realised that they are in the leak club! Its only apparent if it’s bad enough to leak into the cupboard. If it’s the Sliding door window or a Beach the water is hidden. By the way.... I’m dry now, second warranty replacement seems to have sorted mine!

I imagine there are a lot of owners who won’t have realised that they are in the leak club! Its only apparent if it’s bad enough to leak into the cupboard. If it’s the Sliding door window or a Beach the water is hidden. By the way.... I’m dry now, second warranty replacement seems to have sorted mine!
On mine it used to form a large puddle in the middle of the floor. I never open that sliding window after it was replaced in case it starts leaking. I think it’s harder to see a leak on the sliding door side as it runs behind the trim.

Hi ArunAlec, that's really interesting. I checked mine this morning as not parking backwards down a slope means I have to reverse out of my drive which is not ideal. If I am just missing a blocked drain that would be great. This is a close up of the back end of the drain channel in my 2015 SE. Am I missing something?
View attachment 53772
[/QUOTE]
The rear drain is hidden! It’s under the sliding window frame.... see the pic. I’m pouring water using pipette and it’s flowing through the drain.
0C03AB97-535C-44A5-BF57-B1607A8502A2.jpeg

Just reading this post and think I may have the same problem. The bottom of the cupboard was soaking one time - I assumed it was because the waste water tank was full and had leaked. I have since noticed that the paper rols I had left in their are mouldy. I often have a soaking wet windscreen on a cold day which I had attributes to lots of moisture from travelling with 4 dogs all the time.
So have now put a dry roll of kitchen paper at the back of the cupboard and will check it after the next heavy rain shower (won’t be long in Aberdeen!)
Update
I decided to use a hosepipe (downward sprinkler) and sure enough there is water on the inside of the window. I imagine if I use a high pressure hose for a longer period (as when cleaning the van) I would see water in the cupboard.
Yet another thing to be fixed under extended warranty... heho...

Last edited:
Just reading this post and think I may have the same problem. The bottom of the cupboard was soaking one time - I assumed it was because the waste water tank was full and had leaked. I have since noticed that the paper rols I had left in their are mouldy. I often have a soaking wet windscreen on a cold day which I had attributes to lots of moisture from travelling with 4 dogs all the time.
So have now put a dry roll of kitchen paper at the back of the cupboard and will check it after the next heavy rain shower (won’t be long in Aberdeen!)
Update
I decided to use a hosepipe (downward sprinkler) and sure enough there is water on the inside of the window. I imagine if I use a high pressure hose for a longer period (as when cleaning the van) I would see water in the cupboard.
Yet another thing to be fixed under extended warranty... heho...
If, as is likely, the problem is the drain (it’s almost a given that water will get past the glass seal) you can check them by syringing water through the front one or as in my photo above pour water through the rear one. Water should flow out as picture but as @rod_vw and I have found the design of the drains is flawed and can allow water to leak inside. The fix is replacement of the complete side window.. The official fix to replace the window is to remove the kitchen! But it is possible to do it without, just needs a window fitter who knows what they are doing. Quite depressing that VW haven’t sorted this flaw yet. Good luck.

If, as is likely, the problem is the drain (it’s almost a given that water will get past the glass seal) you can check them by syringing water through the front one or as in my photo above pour water through the rear one. Water should flow out as picture but as @rod_vw and I have found the design of the drains is flawed and can allow water to leak inside. The fix is replacement of the complete side window.. The official fix to replace the window is to remove the kitchen! But it is possible to do it without, just needs a window fitter who knows what they are doing. Quite depressing that VW haven’t sorted this flaw yet. Good luck.
Oh heavens. I’m still under extended warranty which means going to the dealer. Who will no doubt (as usual) cause thousands of pounds of more issues which I then need to prove is their fault for them to solve...
Once sorted I’ll be selling. Had enough!

Oh heavens. I’m still under extended warranty which means going to the dealer. Who will no doubt (as usual) cause thousands of pounds of more issues which I then need to prove is their fault for them to solve...
Sad but understandable. Alison look at celticmotorhomes crafter conversion. Looks perfect for carrying dogs to shows etc. Better than towing and works out at similar price to well spec t6 California

Sad but understandable. Alison look at celticmotorhomes crafter conversion. Looks perfect for carrying dogs to shows etc. Better than towing and works out at similar price to well spec t6 California
Thanks. I’ll probably go for an van and an Eriba caravan. But will discuss that on a separate thread nearer the time as conscious I’ve already hijacked this one. Sorry to the OP.

Who is this dealer that is causing you so many problems? You should name and shame so that the rest of us can avoid. Breeze Totton look after all my vehicles and they are excellent.

Who is this dealer that is causing you so many problems? You should name and shame so that the rest of us can avoid. Breeze Totton look after all my vehicles and they are excellent.
I have mentioned them under the dealer review and on my own posts. Local to me in Aberdeen.

Never, ever use a Jet Wash system to clean the sliding windows. :thumb
Every time it goes to the dealer it gets washed before returning and I’m pretty sure they use a jet wash... sigh...

Back