Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking windows

P

Pips Dad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone had problems with leaking windows? My 2018 Ocean has just been out for a weeks camping and we had continuous rain for over 24 hours. We discovered that some of the things in the under sink cupboard were wet through and investigation showed that water was leaking down the van external panel behind the sink. The opening glass seems to seal ok so I assume the leak is between the window frame and the side panel of the van.
I know it is still in warranty but I dread the dealership accessing the leaking frame as it seems that a lot of internal panels would need to be removed to gain access.
Has anyone any info of what may be involved in a fix and info on similar problems. It didn’t seem to leak whilst driving 300 miles back home in the rain last night so does this help in diagnosing the leak?

Many have reported water coming in on diffrent occasions with diffrent causes and solloutions.
Try to investigate where it actually came from first , all other comment will be speculation.
Try and read some existing treads on the forum , sure your problem has been written on here before.

As HC has said there could be a number of culprits and you need to do some digging but there are essential checks you can do to minimise the risk of the sliding windows leaking.
1: The rubber seals on the moving glass should be clean and free from dust and dirt build up as should the fixed glass at all times. For me it is part of my regular cleaning regime.
2: Be sure there is no dirt/grit in the runners for the windows. Top and bottom. Also check regularly.
3: When the windows are being closed the handle "wings" should be flat/parallel to the windows surface after the sliding window has seated against the fixed glass. Do not exert too much pressure as you slide the window closed.

As HC has said there could be a number of culprits and you need to do some digging but there are essential checks you can do to minimise the risk of the sliding windows leaking.
1: The rubber seals on the moving glass should be clean and free from dust and dirt build up as should the fixed glass at all times. For me it is part of my regular cleaning regime.
2: Be sure there is no dirt/grit in the runners for the windows. Top and bottom. Also check regularly.
3: When the windows are being closed the handle "wings" should be flat/parallel to the windows surface after the sliding window has seated against the fixed glass. Do not exert too much pressure as you slide the window closed.
Yes I agree with all your points and have discounted them. The vehicle is almost new and there is no problem with dirt build up in the mechanism.as it is kept scrupulously clean. The window catches function correctly and are checked for folding flat when closed. The leak was visible behind the cutlery draw on the van outer wall where there is some reinforcing brackets attached to the side panel. A trickle was seen running down to this area and the only thing above this point would be the frame holding the glass main window, I assume.
I will try the hose pipe around this area outside to see if I can prove the point of he leak.
Just thought someone might have had experience of these types of smooth, bonded glass windows. ( if that’s how they fix)

My reply might seem like I haven't grasped your problem from your last reply and I still may not be right but.......
I recently had water coming in on the sliding door window when shut. Convinced it was faulty for a little while because as far as I was concerned the levers on the catch appeared to be folding back flat but when I double checked when it stopped raining I found that in some of the other positions the levers sprung firmly into a flat position if that makes sense? But on that last position of fully closing it they were more resistant but appeared flat.
As a result I just kept opening and closing it and there had definately been something not quite right as after a few tries the levers shut like they did in other places so the window travel had reseated its self somehow and no more issues.

To perhaps dismiss the sliding window, you could tape up the gap / seal (around the opening window) on the outside with some electrical or waterproof tape, and use the hose pipe to see if no further water ingress...

Last edited:
Had mine replaced on the sink side under warranty on my 2018 Ocean

If you have water ingress like on this picture, backside of the kitchen cupboard, it is most likely to come from:
1. Clogged drain pipes in the runners of the sliding window. There are two of them, one visible at the right end of the runner, the second unvisible under the sliding window at the left side.
Both drains send their water to the outside of the van, just 6 Centimeters under the sliding window, where you can see a legde in the body work. If clogged, the water level in the runners/rulers rises and water escapes downwards into the kitchen. I mean really downwards, as in my case the floors of both kitchen cupboards were soaked (as were the carton boxes with rice, pasta and cookies...).

Test: Pour some water into the right drain, and you should see water coming out at the outside. If not, one of the drains is clogged and chances are you see water dripping along the inside of the body work, as on my photo.
If clogged, clear the drain with soapy water, an opened paperclip or air pressure from a can.

The left drain, unvisible, can be tested in the same way, but is almost impossible to clean. You can try hot soapy liquid from inside, or a fair amount of air pressure from the outside, up into the legde of the bodywork.

2. The second most occuring leakage, is not closing the sliding window very tightly against the surrounding frame.
Cause a): you didn’t press the levers straight enough;
or b): dirt, sand, leaves etc in or around the frame. As written above, cleaning the sliding window structure inside AND outside is part of our monthly cleaning routine of the Cali.
Or c: the metal pins that fall into the holes under and above the levers are bent.

In rare cases, the rubbers an the hit around the complete left side window structure are leaking.

If still under warranty, have all those possibillities checked in time.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

1560087347496.jpeg

Had exactly the same problem on my new T6 Ocean.
Took it back to the dealer as it is a known fault with the sliding window.
They have to follow a VW defined procedure to cure the problem.
Glad to report that no further problems for over a year.

Had exactly the same problem on my new T6 Ocean.
Took it back to the dealer as it is a known fault with the sliding window.
They have to follow a VW defined procedure to cure the problem.
Glad to report that no further problems for over a year.

Would be nice to know what the exact steps are in the VW procedure. People here on the forum could learn from this information. Could you keep all of us informed?
Does VW put in a new sliding window or do they take some other action?

Regards,

Marc.

Would be nice to know what the exact steps are in the VW procedure.
Good luck with that!
I know information sneaks out sometimes, loose tongue etc but really its proprietary info that they shouldn't tell.

If you have water ingress like on this picture, backside of the kitchen cupboard, it is most likely to come from:
1. Clogged drain pipes in the runners of the sliding window. There are two of them, one visible at the right end of the runner, the second unvisible under the sliding window at the left side.
Both drains send their water to the outside of the van, just 6 Centimeters under the sliding window, where you can see a legde in the body work. If clogged, the water level in the runners/rulers rises and water escapes downwards into the kitchen. I mean really downwards, as in my case the floors of both kitchen cupboards were soaked (as were the carton boxes with rice, pasta and cookies...).

Test: Pour some water into the right drain, and you should see water coming out at the outside. If not, one of the drains is clogged and chances are you see water dripping along the inside of the body work, as on my photo.
If clogged, clear the drain with soapy water, an opened paperclip or air pressure from a can.

The left drain, unvisible, can be tested in the same way, but is almost impossible to clean. You can try hot soapy liquid from inside, or a fair amount of air pressure from the outside, up into the legde of the bodywork.

2. The second most occuring leakage, is not closing the sliding window very tightly against the surrounding frame.
Cause a): you didn’t press the levers straight enough;
or b): dirt, sand, leaves etc in or around the frame. As written above, cleaning the sliding window structure inside AND outside is part of our monthly cleaning routine of the Cali.
Or c: the metal pins that fall into the holes under and above the levers are bent.

In rare cases, the rubbers an the hit around the complete left side window structure are leaking.

If still under warranty, have all those possibillities checked in time.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

View attachment 46020
Marc,
Really useful information and well described procedures. I will have a look as you say as my leak looks very similar to yours. Tried running a hose over the outside where the glass meets the body and also around the opening window but can’t replicate the leak so far and all is dry inside.

Good luck with that!
I know information sneaks out sometimes, loose tongue etc but really its proprietary info that they shouldn't tell.
Not sure what all the secrecy is all about. Surely if we as Cali owners should be doing something to prevent these leaks, VW should be telling us.

Would be nice to know what the exact steps are in the VW procedure. People here on the forum could learn from this information. Could you keep all of us informed?
Does VW put in a new sliding window or do they take some other action?

Regards,

Marc.
As my dealership I nearly 100 miles away, I really needed to know it’s worth the journey especially if it’s a easy fix that I I can do myself.

My experience from owning a T5 Kombi for 40 months is that VW simply change the windows until the problem or the customer goes away: I had them changed twice and eventually learnt that the majority of the problem is to do with the way in which they are closed. You can’t just slam them shut by pushing the rear edge. Use both hands (one on either edge) and slide it firmly and forcibly, pushing outwards as it starts to turn outwards.

1. Clogged drain pipes in the runners of the sliding window. There are two of them, one visible at the right end of the runner, the second invisible under the sliding window at the left side. ( Thank you Marchugo )

Didn’t know about the second drain,
This forum is a gold mine.

Last edited:
Good luck with that!
Marchugo,
Today I did an experiment with a small syringe filled with water. When I trickled the water down the small drain hole in the window track, it all came out between the glass and ran down the outside of the van as it should an dthe inside remained dry.
I repeated this again but this time I forced the water down the drain with some force from the syringe. This time some of the water ran down the inside face of the van wall, behind the cutlery tray as it did in the heavy rain experienced whilst camping.
Should this happen? How is the drain sealed from the inside of the van?

Anyone know the answer? Could do with seeing a Cali with the interior stripped out to see how it is supposed to work.

Oh, wait, I am going to strip my kitchenette out right now! :happy

Goo idea to see any Transporter stripped (less work than a California) at the sliding window.

Sure!
Small work. Keeps the rusted bolts underneath the van free from rust.

If I put water through the front drain hole of the sliding window, it goes into the door and comes out the bottom of the door card, under the table, collecting on the step. Shouldnt this be running directly out of the van under the glass?

This morning I did some extra detective work to unravel the 'preventive measure' that VW had applied to our leaking sliding window.

If you carefully remove the two black plastic covers above and beneath the levers of the window, you can have a look into the inner life of the catching mechanism.
On the photos you can see two tiny screws (at the top and the bottom) that were applied by our dealer, to more firmly fix the rather wiggling plastic parts that hold the mechanism together.

I don't know if this high tech solution is now part of the standard delivery of the T6, but for our T5.1 the mechanic described this action as a 'preventive measure' to prevent bended
pins (after almost ten years of us driving around in this luxurious bed on four wheels).

Schuifraam_grendel_boven_2_20190609_171558_001_resized.jpg

Again, be carefull when you can't resist the urge to remove the plastic covers off the window, as the little plastic noses that keep them in place at the bottom and the top tend to break of.
Maybe safer to only look at these pictures.
Remove the covers by gently pushing the lower cover up, and at the same time pulling at the middle of the plastic part. The upper cover the other way around (pushing down).

After removing you will see how the covers "glide" in into the metal pins that work as a lock.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Schuifraam_grendel_onder_2_20190609_171612_001_resized.jpg

If I put water through the front drain hole of the sliding window, it goes into the door and comes out the bottom of the door card, under the table, collecting on the step. Shouldnt this be running directly out of the van under the glass?

Yes, the water should be running out of the van under the glas.

Marc.

There are 2 sets of drain on each window the 2 slots flush with the glass as in @EddieEagle s post and two that are hidden at each end of the slot that the window slides in. The hidden ones are part of the window moulding and seem to have a design flaw that (in some cases) allows water to flow down the inside of the door or kitchen unit. My side window had to be replaced due to this flaw.