Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaky T6 Beach!?

if6was9

if6was9

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Bit of a mystery with this one. Woke up yesterday to find the side pocket cup holders full of water. No evidence of evidence of where it's come from but it's definitely rainwater.

Any ideas before I contact VW for a check over and hopefully warranty fix? TIA

IMG_1511.jpg

Bit of a mystery with this one. Woke up yesterday to find the side pocket cup holders full of water. No evidence of evidence of where it's come from but it's definitely rainwater.

View attachment 41402
Not familiar with the Beach but if the cup holders are beneath the sliding windows, that would be my bet.

A Beach with a freshwater tank - new mod.

I would say ditto to @ArunAlec comment.

Yes, cup holders directly below the sliding window.

I had read a few threads about leaking window units but initially dismissed as there is no obvious evidence of water entering the vehicle. It's as if someone has poured water directly into said cup holders.

I'm now reading one thread over on the T6 Forum saying that the rails of the sliding window are bonded to the glass and when the bond fails, water is then able to poor directly into the van.

I'll give Liverpool Van Centre a shout tomorrow and update accordingly for future reference.

Thanks all.

This has been an issue since at least 2005. I had to have both windows replaced twice in an earlier van and still the leaked. Seems VW buy in the windows but incompetence on their purchasing team if they still haven't learned their lesson. At least with Liverpool they try their best unlike some.

Yes, cup holders directly below the sliding window.

I had read a few threads about leaking window units but initially dismissed as there is no obvious evidence of water entering the vehicle. It's as if someone has poured water directly into said cup holders.

I'm now reading one thread over on the T6 Forum saying that the rails of the sliding window are bonded to the glass and when the bond fails, water is then able to poor directly into the van.

I'll give Liverpool Van Centre a shout tomorrow and update accordingly for future reference.

Thanks all.
My experience of having 2 replacements is that the problem is not the bonding but the drains that are hidden under the slider groove. They are meant to allow any water that gets past the sliding glass seal to flow out between the bottom of the glass and the bodywork but are a poor design and overflow to the inside. The seals around the sliding glass are very lightweight and need routine cleaning. I use a silicone lubricant rather than VWs official lube, Krytox, which is somewhat pricey.

you can check that the 2 window drains aren't blocked by spraying some wd 40 through them with the wd straw. this will prove they are draining externally too .

View attachment 41402
I have recently experienced exactly the same issue in my T6 Beach 2018. No sign of where the water has come in and no obvious route. I had an aux heater fitted last week and the chap at the garage suggested the sliding window but it certainly isn’t obvious where that could leak and fill the cup holder!

My experience of having 2 replacements is that the problem is not the bonding but the drains that are hidden under the slider groove. They are meant to allow any water that gets past the sliding glass seal to flow out between the bottom of the glass and the bodywork but are a poor design and overflow to the inside. The seals around the sliding glass are very lightweight and need routine cleaning. I use a silicone lubricant rather than VWs official lube, Krytox, which is somewhat pricey.
When you lube the seal do you find a load of greasy crap runs down the side of the van after rain?

When you lube the seal do you find a load of greasy crap runs down the side of the van after rain?
Nope, I use a silicone spray, sprayed onto a cloth and wiped onto the seal, so there’s actually very little deposited on the seal.

Hope you’re all well...

Quick update from Liverpool Van Centre...

Booked in for the leak inspection this morning and, as mentioned by ArunAlec, a full window unit replacement has been offered which should be completed tomorrow. The service desk said this is now standard practice for this kind of leak issue. All covered under warranty.

It’s unbelievable that VW have not been able or bothered to fix this design flaw after so many years. I can accept that the window seal may allow some ingress but the fact that the drains fail is poor.

Back