Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaving Today

L

Lifeinavan

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
So I'm starting my 4 month journey with my cali today and first stop will be a place where I'm going to pick up a roof box (16 kg, 320l). It won't be heavy loaded, snowboard, winter clothing, boots and backpacks (x2 of all). I won't be reaching the 60 kilo limit but the more I read on the subject I'm getting afraid the roof won't stay open, break etc. Can someone who used their cali with roofbox with an estimated weight please tell me ill be fine. I'll be in real trouble of I'm on the other side of Europe and it starts to fail.

Thanks.

I estimate the weight to be something like 45-50 kilos. Including bars, box and items I mentioned.

Take a brush handle with you to prop the roof up just in case:thumb

Now I'm getting even more scared :sad

Have you got a ladder with you to reach the roof box ?

Snowboard and wintercloting ?
Are you mixing seasons up?
Anyway , 50kg to raise the electric roof
Enjoy your trip
We would love to hear where ot's going.

Starting in Sweden. Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, UK, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Italy, Austria, Czech and back home.

I'll be in Austria in October and that's where we will be skiing.

No ladder, the box is opened from the sides and I can reach it with the side door open.

Wow, what an itinerary, happy travels. Feeling rather envious!

Looks like an awesome trip, be sure to keep us updated with your progress and send us some photos when you can:thumb

Great plans! have fun travelling to to these countries! drop a sign when you're in Switzerland!

Keep us update on your whereabouts...and offcoarse pictures....!

Wowzers, what a trip. I'm in NL in August but looking at your itinerary it's way too soon for you...

You will be fine. We use our roof box during the winter time for exactly the same setup - two pairs of touring skis, poles, ice axes and two fully packed avalanche backpacks. We use a Thule roof box and I am really happy with it. However, I would recommend a ladder, especially if you want to use straps to secure snowboards and backpacks.
Our roof box is black and it looks good, however during the summer time it unfortunately gets too hot for some more sensitive items, so pay attention to this also.

thule.jpg

With a fully loaded roof box I found out that the roof is raised faster and easier if the engine is actually running.

With a fully loaded roof box I found out that the roof is raised faster and easier if the engine is actually running.

Always best to have the engine running when operating the roof , i never do it without...

I worry about the same thing. I have 1.8m long Thule slide bars x 3 with a Thule roofbox and fill it with snowe gear / wetsuits etc. I also have a Karitek roofrack option. I remove canoes and bikes on the roof before putting-up the pop top but leave the roofbox full. I guesstimate combined weight is 35kg. But may be more one day. My worry is the failure mode - could it collapse in the night with my kids in bed up there? Has anyone had an issue with the roof coming down due to excessive loading? Has anyone created a safety prop just-in-case...?

I worry about the same thing. I have 1.8m long Thule slide bars x 3 with a Thule roofbox and fill it with snowe gear / wetsuits etc. I also have a Karitek roofrack option. I remove canoes and bikes on the roof before putting-up the pop top but leave the roofbox full. I guesstimate combined weight is 35kg. But may be more one day. My worry is the failure mode - could it collapse in the night with my kids in bed up there? Has anyone had an issue with the roof coming down due to excessive loading? Has anyone created a safety prop just-in-case...?

If it should come down (a bit) it raises by itself afther a certain time.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-motor-buzzed.10885/#post-102304
If there is a major failure i should think it can come all the way down, not sure if there's a mecanical stop somewhere built in ...guess not.
Don't think there has evere been a report on a fully lowerd roof by itself in one night.
Just relax and don't worry about it.

Back