Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED dealer fit DRLs and turning off the OEM DRL- help needed

Re: LED dealer fit DRLs and turning off the OEM DRL- help ne

snowy55 said:
Calikev said:
Sorry I didn't realise you had a beach. The Cali se uses the h15

The H15 is a 15/55w bulb but VW only use the 55w part.Why specify a twin filament bulb? Or is it the 15w bit they use?

Answering my own question,
The 15w filament is used for the DRL.
The 55w filament comes on with main beam. :cool

snowy55 said:
snowy55 said:
Calikev said:
Sorry I didn't realise you had a beach. The Cali se uses the h15

The H15 is a 15/55w bulb but VW only use the 55w part.Why specify a twin filament bulb? Or is it the 15w bit they use?

Answering my own question,
The 15w filament is used for the DRL.
The 55w filament comes on with main beam. :cool

Yep just like I said on the first page.

So after a bit of a stroppy happy new year email to our dealer threatening to involve VW directors again if things weren't sorted out pronto our Beach has now been fettled so only the Led DRLs are on.

Apparently the dealership were told by Vestatec to fit some resistors instead of the OEM DRLs but weren't happy about this, so kept on at VW until finally they were given the code to turn off the OEM DRLs. NB this is only necessary for the Beach, apparently the Vestatec instructions for the DRLs where they explain which fuses to pull works fine for the SE.

I was also presented with the 30 page document on the fuse map for my vehicle at long last. So if you want to get your own copy just keep on telling your dealership it is a safety related issue and there is no earthly reason for them keeping it such a goddam secret.

When we fit the VW LED DRL's then two fuses are removed to turn off the original DRL's in the headlights.

cheers
Hi SMG, my dealer has just told me the led drl lights that can be fitted in the bumper at the dealership are not compatible with my ordered Cali as I have the Travel package with auto lights etc. can you confirm this please. Thanks.

Heck this is confusing. Just to throw some fat on the fire....

...for my 2011 SE, if I had the LED DRLs fitted and wanted to keep the OEM DRLs on, but upgrade these to LED bulbs, which, if any, OEM DRL LED bulb replacement (for an SE) could I go for? (are you still with me?)

I believe, at least on my 2014 SE, the bulb used is the H15 15w/55w used for DRL and Main Beam. I do not believe there is any E marked equivalent bulb, in fact I think there is only 1 manufacturer and that is OSRAM.

Did anyone get to the bottom of how to switch off the OEM DLRs ?
I was a happy owner of a new SE with dealer fitted bumper LEDs until I picked on this thread .... and yes why have I got a yellow and white mixture .......so how to switch off the OEMs. Reading above, I need to pull some fuses but being a digbat I'm not sure I even have the right fuse board - to the left of the gear lever?

IMG_2299.JPG

Alex suggested "bottom fuse board under gear lever, top right hand corner two brown 5 amp fuses. They should have a gap between them" which are not obvious here assuming of course I am on the correct board.

Has anyone successfully switched off the OEMs themselves, or do I need to go back to the dealer?

I have just had some vw drl's fitted..look awesome...but going through the process of changing the bulbs...yellow tint not looking good. My orginal Drl's have been left on and not switched off buy vw. So searched other forums about this...and read about a proces you can ...which i also found in my cali t5 manual that you can switch them off buy holding the indicator stalk down and then pull back...then turn the ignition on for 3 seconds. I was dubious as i had also read that some EU directive had done away with it from a certain year. My cali is 2013 so didnt expect it to work...but it actually does. so i have been able to deactivate the original Drl's with out removing bulbs or fuses or VAG. To activate its move the stalk up and pull back. look in the light section of your manual and see if its there...it is on mine.

I have just had some vw drl's fitted..look awesome...but going through the process of changing the bulbs...yellow tint not looking good. My orginal Drl's have been left on and not switched off buy vw. So searched other forums about this...and read about a proces you can ...which i also found in my cali t5 manual that you can switch them off buy holding the indicator stalk down and then pull back...then turn the ignition on for 3 seconds. I was dubious as i had also read that some EU directive had done away with it from a certain year. My cali is 2013 so didnt expect it to work...but it actually does. so i have been able to deactivate the original Drl's with out removing bulbs or fuses or VAG. To activate its move the stalk up and pull back. look in the light section of your manual and see if its there...it is on mine.
Just tried this - not working for me on a 2015 SE and can't find any reference in the manual.

yeah i was surprised to see it in mine to tell you the truth and only noticed it there after two years of having it. though you do have to get the 3secs ignition on and off just right ..took a few attempts for me..

Noticed this in my 2013 beach manual but if you look at the wording seems to suggest this is only if you have auto lights fitted. Tried the procedure on my but no luck, doesn't turn off.

Noticed this in my 2013 beach manual but if you look at the wording seems to suggest this is only if you have auto lights fitted. Tried the procedure on my but no luck, doesn't turn off.

i dont think mine are auto...i dont have "auto" on the lights knob/switch selector

i dont think mine are auto...i dont have "auto" on the lights knob/switch selector
Mine are 'Auto' lights - but it still doesn't work!

Interestingly I tried removing the fuses as suggested earlier on in this thread. I have 2 small brown fuses (5A) with a gap between them. The earlier post says to remove the 2 of them. If I remove the left one both the OEM DRL's go off. If I remove just the right one nothing happens, but the clock resets on my MFD/stereo!?

So I assume that for some reason I only have a single fuse for the standard fit DRL's

Mine are 'Auto' lights - but it still doesn't work!

Interestingly I tried removing the fuses as suggested earlier on in this thread. I have 2 small brown fuses (5A) with a gap between them. The earlier post says to remove the 2 of them. If I remove the left one both the OEM DRL's go off. If I remove just the right one nothing happens, but the clock resets on my MFD/stereo!?

So I assume that for some reason I only have a single fuse for the standard fit DRL's

lol you can open a can of worms with regards to fuse layout , SE and Beach differences...lol....not sure on the beach but i guess make sure your full beam still works if part of the OEM drl's

Hi all ,
I have been trying to turn off my drls too , it's in my manual about using the indicator stalk and ign but I've tried it numerous times without success.
I have a 2012 (62 ) SE
I'm not using ,LED drls or anything else for that Matter but I'd like the og lights off .
Do I need to pull fuses also ?

Hi all ,
I have been trying to turn off my drls too , it's in my manual about using the indicator stalk and ign but I've tried it numerous times without success.
I have a 2012 (62 ) SE
I'm not using ,LED drls or anything else for that Matter but I'd like the og lights off .

Make sure you inform your insurance company if you switch off your drls, if you were to have an accident and the other party said they "hadn't seen you" because of no drls then it gives your insurance an excuse not to pay out!

On an SE you should be able to pull the fuses according to what I have been told. In the picture above I think they are the 5amp ones. Not sure what the 20A one is for but in the original reply from SMG they talked about two 5A fuses with a gap in between, so I can only guess in the picture above the 20A is for some other option.

You should be able to work out what it is from the SE fuse map in the download section.

Hi all ,
I have a 2012 (62 ) SE
yeah as other members have mentioned i would not turn off your original drl's if you do not have any others fitted...i am only switching mine off as i have the new bumper LED ones fitted and it a bit over kill with two sets running.

I'd just like throw more conspiracies into the theories...

I have a 2015 beach, Xenons fitted from the factory, these have the dotted LED DRL's in the light cluster as per Xenons, I'd like the Bumper fit DRL's for no other reason than I like them and I'd like to keep the LED on in the headlight. My dealer says this can't be done ? Is this correct ?

I'd just like throw more conspiracies into the theories...

I have a 2015 beach, Xenons fitted from the factory, these have the dotted LED DRL's in the light cluster as per Xenons, I'd like the Bumper fit DRL's for no other reason than I like them and I'd like to keep the LED on in the headlight. My dealer says this can't be done ? Is this correct ?
DRL's are not just lights.
All their functions, dimming with indicators etc: controlled by the Vehicle Computer Module. If it can be done then might require some experimenting using the VW Diagnostic Computer system, obviously at your risk. Someone with the necessary software and leads might have a go.

Back