Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED Headlights in Europe

I just happen to have been parked opposite a long white wall in France.
I have Led headlights and Lights and Vision 'Travel' mode was on. With the headlights on the rhd asymmetric beam, higher on the left than the right, was still evident.
It turns out that Travel mode simply lowers the beam throw rather than use Led technology to change the shape of the beam.
You live and learn.........

I just happen to have been parked opposite a long white wall in France.
I have Led headlights and Lights and Vision 'Travel' mode was on. With the headlights on the rhd asymmetric beam, higher on the left than the right, was still evident.
It turns out that Travel mode simply lowers the beam throw rather than use Led technology to change the shape of the beam.
You live and learn.........

Thanks - that is useful information. I have recently added LED headlights to my order. Given the price of the option, it seems a bit rubbish that all the travel mode does is lower the beam!

Do you need to reselect travel mode each time the ignition is switched on or only each time you depart the British Isles, and deselect when you enter the British Isles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have Bi Xenon's on my T5 and travel mode neutralises any kick, left or right. I have had no problems, either in France or UK, staying in that mode.

No problems here either. The Travel mode stays on until deselected.
The LED headlights are very good and light the road as almost daylight. Very like xenons.
For me that eclairagewas a deciding factor rather than the travel mode

Collected my Ocean yesterday but could not get a definitive answer about the need for beam deflectors on a new T6 with halogen headlights, My Mk.7 Golf did not need them and the fact that they were not required was not common knowledge in local garages at the time. Has the question now been resolved because I would love to see something in print that gave an authorative response.
Thanks in anticipation.

Page 104 of the T6 handbook is very clear.

"Masking or switching over headlights for driving abroad.
If you have to drive a right hand drive vehicle in a left hand country, the asymmetric dipped beam halogen headlights may dazzle oncoming traffic. Therefore headlights must be masked over if you are driving abroad."

I think that's quite definitive! :thumb

Page 104 of the T6 handbook is very clear.

"Masking or switching over headlights for driving abroad.
If you have to drive a right hand drive vehicle in a left hand country, the asymmetric dipped beam halogen headlights may dazzle oncoming traffic. Therefore headlights must be masked over if you are driving abroad."

I think that's quite definitive! :thumb
Yes, but there was a similar "definitive" quote in the early Mk7 golf handbook.

I would go with the T6 manual. It says you have asymmetric headlights. You can always check against a wall if you are in doubt. I think I know what you will see though.
Although I bought my Cali from Guy in Preston, (who was helpful and professional throughout the deal), I rang my local van service centre,Hadwins of Lindale near Grange over Sands to try and get more information. They were tremendous. I was put through to the parts department and posed the lights abroad question. He took my registration so that he could access the chassis number and promised to phone me back.
Ten minutes later he rang to say that I did not need "protectors" as it was a flat beam and correction was not needed. I would still like to see it in print somewhere though.

Whilst you wait for that advice to appear in print, (and I think you will have a very long wait), try shining your dipped beams onto a wall. It's a very reliable test and will instantly show whether the beams kick up to the left and wether the hand book is right.

Let us know how you get on

It's not quite that simple. My old Golf showed a kick up to the left but at the same time did not dazzle oncoming vehicles. You very soon know about it if you do when driving in France. The halogen lights on the Ocean seem very similar but do not over illuminate street furniture on the left hand side as you drive past. I suspect that it is OK to drive abroad without adding bits of sticky tape and the handbook has just not caught up with the change. As I said, the garage did make a phone call just to check.
Quinnster77 says his garage gave a similar answer and promised to provide a link but it hasn't arrived yet.

I need to find a white wall then.... I do seem to be getting flashed down here in Spain... "Normal" headlights. Annoying that its not totally clear message from VW.... Still love her though....

I need to find a white wall then.... I do seem to be getting flashed down here in Spain... "Normal" headlights. Annoying that its not totally clear message from VW.... Still love her though....
you need to use the adjuster under the dash to adjust your lights down to compensate for the additional load you are carrying.

Since my previous post I've spent about five weeks touring around France with the halogen headlights and had no problems at all driving at night without using deflectors. Never got flashed at all. Here is my van at St Hilaire du Touvet.IMG_2601 2.jpg

you need to use the adjuster under the dash to adjust your lights down to compensate for the additional load you are carrying.
The additional load caught a flight down here. Do I just need to adjust it when her indoors is in then?

The additional load caught a flight down here. Do I just need to adjust it when her indoors is in then?

Probably, but I wouldn't mention it.

Hi all, I can confirm that any California ordered with LED Headlights will have an option on the Multi function display which will read 'Travel Mode'. This will enable you to turn the headlights onto the other side for when travelling on the opposite side of the road. Very clever little feature!
Thanks LewisVW! I couldn’t find anything about it in the headlight section of the handbook.

Back