Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

After over a year trying to get somebody to install the:
  • LED Lazer Lights Triple-R 750 Elite
I got them installed today by a company in Ashbourne, Co. Meath.

For me the installation was done very well. I am delighted. As soon as it is dark I will go for a short spin to see what impact the new lights have.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello,

For me the installation was done very well. I am delighted. As soon as it is dark I will go for a short spin to see what impact the new lights have.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
I have them on my Ocean and they are brilliant. Enjoy!

At the moment I am in Ennis to get something installed (I will open a new post for that).

I will add some pictures tomorrow.

It looks really good. I toy with the idea to install a mirror at the front to see the grill

Regards,
Eberhard

I have them on my Ocean and they are brilliant. Enjoy!
Do you have the effect of going into the dark (like sidelights only) when switching off as in going from Mainbeam to Dip.
A problem that I found on previous cars with Spot lights fitted. Although now the percentage of time that Mainbeam is on is low due to increased traffic.

Do you have the effect of going into the dark (like sidelights only) when switching off as in going from Mainbeam to Dip.
A problem that I found on previous cars with Spot lights fitted. Although now the percentage of time that Mainbeam is on is low due to increased traffic.
No, that’s not an issue I have. They are wired into the main lighting loom so they are on all the time as additional daylight running lights and adjust to full or dipped beam. Possibly the single best upgrade I made to the van.

I’m not entirely sure if it’s legal now to use separately switched spotlights on road?

No, that’s not an issue I have. They are wired into the main lighting loom so they are on all the time as additional daylight running lights and adjust to full or dipped beam. Possibly the single best upgrade I made to the van.

I’m not entirely sure if it’s legal now to use separately switched spotlights on road?
Its still legal to use separately switched spotlights.

However its not legal to wire those LED Lazer Lights Triple-R 750 Elite in as dipped beams.
They have 2 switching modes, 1st is an E marked lower output & means they can be used as spotlights in conjunction with your vans high beam.
The second mode is full power & only legal for off road use.
If you have them mounted in the grille, they re too far from the edge of the van to be used as daylight running lights.

However its not legal to wire those LED Lazer Lights Triple-R 750 Elite in as dipped beams.
They have 2 switching modes, 1st is an E marked lower output & means they can be used as spotlights in conjunction with your vans high beam.
If you have them mounted in the grille, they re too far from the edge of the van to be used as daylight running lights.
That confirms what I thought regarding dip & DRL

Well, I can't say yet. I got the lights only yesterday. When I left for Ennis at 6 am it was almost bright.

I think after my holiday I can post about my experience with the lights.

Regards,
Eberhard

That’s interesting. Mine were professionally installed about 4 years ago. Are they not strictly legal then? As you can see below they are 'on' all the time, either with the DLR or dipped beam.

75672A48-8D4D-403C-AA74-2CD7E813A316.jpeg

Are they not strictly legal then?
Theres numerous reasons why they are not legal:
Only E marked for use as a high beam driving light - ie a spotlight.
If they were used as headlights with an output of 5068 lumen they need to be fitted with headlamp washers & self levelling mechanism
Only supposed to have 2 positioning lights / DRLs
DRLs are supposed to be white
As Drls they are positioned too far from the edge of the vehicle.

Lazer themselves word the legality bit carefully on their website:

" all Triple-R products up to the 590mm (23”) Triple-R 1250, benefit for approval to UNECE Regulation 112 as a high beam driving light. In many cases certification is only achieved using dual-output E-Boost technology, allowing the lamp to be used in both E-Boost or E-Mark Compliant mode depending on country-specific regulations and whether the light(s) are being used on or off-road."

If you read carefully it says they are legal as a high beam driving light in E-Mark compliant mode.

If they were used as headlights with an output of 5068 lumen they need to be fitted with headlamp washers & self levelling mechanism

" all Triple-R products up to the 590mm (23”) Triple-R 1250, benefit for approval to UNECE Regulation 112 as a high beam driving light. In many cases certification is only achieved using dual-output E-Boost technology, allowing the lamp to be used in both E-Boost or E-Mark Compliant mode depending on country-specific regulations and whether the light(s) are being used on or off-road."

If you read carefully it says they are legal as a high beam driving light in E-Mark compliant mode.
Thanks for your input. They do have a self levelling mechanism, the amber lens I clip on for winter use only.

Just an aside

I found that Auto Air suspension negated the requirement for the lights to be Auto-levelling.
No legal way around the washer part but never come across any mention of it being enforced.
Professional installation should comply fully.

Just an aside

I found that Auto Air suspension negated the requirement for the lights to be Auto-levelling.
No legal way around the washer part but never come across any mention of it being enforced.
Professional installation should comply fully.
The physical installation sounds fine - it’s just sounds like they’ve been wired whether intentionally or not, in a manor that leaves them being used illegally.
1. As a second set of DRLs
2. Spot lights used along with the vans dipped beams
3. Off road only extra bright mode wired to come on with main beams.

Apart from that they are fine.

The new ones I have installed don’t have the pull stop that comes out giving you high power.
Only ever E marked lower power and wired into high beam.

I concur. Simply the best for nighttime driving coupled with auto high beam.
Absolutely sweet on pitch black A & B road’s

Hello,

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Would you let me know the name of the company that did the installation please?

Hello,

So finally I found the time to take some pictures:

1679918661407.png

1679918688015.png

1679918710667.png

So far I did not use them at night. I hope I will find time this week. I will post some pictures then as well.

If they are "road legal" I assumed so. The workshop installed them professionally and they only come on with the high beam.

My CVRT is in 2x years. I hope I get some clear information about this before that :)

Thinking about this. I saw so many pictures of Grand Californias installed with those lights, that I assumed they come with an EU certificate. Without that the German TÜV wouldn't let those campers pass the test.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Hi @Eber123,
Great to see another GC owner here in Ireland. I am in the process of adding solar panels and upgrading the battery setup. Hopefully meet up sometime.
;-)

Hello @jacksprat1962,

That sounds exciting. Are you doing the upgrades yourself or have you found a company that looks after the installation?

I am sure it is me, but I struggled to find a workshop / company willing to work on the Grand California. Mostly they were busy, but also they said they won't work on a Grand California.

There were a few things I wanted to get done. LPG from Gaslow was installed in Norther Ireland. It installation was ok. The LED Lazerlamps in Ashbourne. The installation was ok, the people very friendly. And finally the LTE aerial and router (12V socket). I found somebody in Ennis. Installation was done last week Thursday, but I have to go again, because the electricity is not working reliably. So another 400 km round trip.

I would have dared to think about extra solar panels or even the battery upgrade, because I would have never expected that somebody in ROI or Northern Ireland would look after ths.

If you find somebody who is able and willing to professionally upgrade the battery system in the Grand California, please let me know.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

There were some posts about the legality to use the LED Lazerlamps.

Before I bought them I checked on the manufacturer's webpage and was the opinion they are, but with some restrictions.

After the few posts here I contacted Lazerlamps in the UK to query the status of the road legality of the Triple-R 750 Elite.The got back to me with the following information:

1680009565716.png

From the images above you can see that the lamp has 2 different modes. The E-boost can will need to be removed in order to be an approved legal light.

The E-boost mode on as I think you may have at the moment is for off road use. This cap is easy to put on and off the lamp.

As the lamps are fitted into the grille and sat quite far back you would not be able to remove the cap with the lamps installed. The lamps would need to be carefully removed to remove the E-boost cap.

Now, if I had prepared myself a wee bit more, I still would have gone for the lights, but asked the installer to take the cap out. What I have now, ist not the best setup :oops:

So if you get those lights, check that before installation the cap is removed, to be on the save side. If they are already installed they lights have to come out again and the cap has to be removed.

Nothing is straightforward and I've learned I must spend more time into my research.

Regards,
Eberhard

Back