Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED strip lights

Brownbetty

Brownbetty

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone, I am thinking of putting a line of LED strip lighting along the bottom of the awning with the the wiring fed in through the boot and then powered from the 12v socket in the boot, as anyone done this? I've read on here abt someone wiring them into the lighting circuit, but I just want to plug it in the 12v, I've looked on line at them but none seem to have a 12v connection.

We just take some LED solar lights, they are like Christmas lights and just putting them around the awning ! won't mess with van electrics so easy to blow a fuse if you get it wrong !

Hi everyone, I am thinking of putting a line of LED strip lighting along the bottom of the awning with the the wiring fed in through the boot and then powered from the 12v socket in the boot, as anyone done this? I've read on here abt someone wiring them into the lighting circuit, but I just want to plug it in the 12v, I've looked on line at them but none seem to have a 12v connection.
Have a look at the the Khyam vanlite which I am pretty sure has a 12v plug

If you've got a towbar socket there should be a 12v feed there. I've not checked though.

My Cali has Khyam lights. See "What have you bought for your Cali today"#1639. (I must learn how to provide links.)
It has a 12V plug which inserts into the boot 12V socket, but the plug sticks out when in use and just lies on the floor when not in use, getting in the way without any proper storage mechanism. I am considering rewiring via the light, a much neater solution.

My Cali has Khyam lights. See "What have you bought for your Cali today"#1639. (I must learn how to provide links.)
It has a 12V plug which inserts into the boot 12V socket, but the plug sticks out when in use and just lies on the floor when not in use, getting in the way without any proper storage mechanism. I am considering rewiring via the light, a much neater solution.
We are thinking of getting the Khyam vanlite. My ideal would be to hardwire in, but would be worried that it could affect the warranty. Do you know if the hardwire option is just attaching removable connectors or splicing into the wiring loom? If the warranty could be affected I am minded to either wait a year before buying or use the 12v plug option in the boot until the warranty runs out.

Looking at the description by @larrylamb in his thread "Khyam LED light pack (awning LED strip) and how to fit" it looks like snap lock connectors are involved, but an alternative might be possible.

the 12v cigar socket to RHS of rear bench seems best for awning lights? - I've seen posts on that previously.

I'm not keen on the bright blue-white light look outside personally, but have just added some cheapo warm-white LED fairy lights from Amazon inside, as T6 internal lights are v. harsh.

DBA8F468-22AD-4FA2-B081-A179A2B56817.jpeg

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll take a look at the Khyam lights.
I have a tow bar socket so that's another option cheers for that.
Hirsty, love those lights but have the interior sorted thanks.

Yes. But I soldiered mine directly into the rear reading light. There is also a space by the light to store the little transformer / dimmer control box that comes with the Khyam vanlite kit (which is wired to suit a 12v cigarette plug)

The difficult bit is routing the wire into the vehicle. What's shown isn't possible unless you want to notch the seam on the tailgate. Which I didn't want to do. Mine is routed under the tailgate seal (on the outside of the seam) and pops into the RH light cluster and then routed back in behind the RH rear panel (The rear HVAC unit is located here) and up the rear quarter. This is the difficult bit.

Might not be your cup of tea, but have you considered a battery-operated LED-strip? We have LED-lights on our awning and they use batteries. LED doesn't need much, so the batteries seem to last forever. The whole thing is waterproof, so no problem there and you don't have to mess with the Cali's electric system.

Might not be your cup of tea, but have you considered a battery-operated LED-strip? We have LED-lights on our awning and they use batteries. LED doesn't need much, so the batteries seem to last forever. The whole thing is waterproof, so no problem there and you don't have to mess with the Cali's electric system.
This is exactly what we did. Our set of 10 bulbs run off 2 x AA batteries. Into their second season and gives just enough light outside attached to awning without it looking like a floodlit tennis court. Bought off amazon about ÂŁ12

6170F701-CEA5-4D7B-923D-70AEF8474A63.png

yeah. and there's enough options with warmer yellowish lighting as well, to give a better atmosphere then bright white. Ours are from Konstsmide, a decent Swedish brand.

Thanks but I would like the led lights where you can change the colour & are permanently fixed.:thanks

Yes. But I soldiered mine directly into the rear reading light. There is also a space by the light to store the little transformer / dimmer control box that comes with the Khyam vanlite kit (which is wired to suit a 12v cigarette plug)

The difficult bit is routing the wire into the vehicle. What's shown isn't possible unless you want to notch the seam on the tailgate. Which I didn't want to do. Mine is routed under the tailgate seal (on the outside of the seam) and pops into the RH light cluster and then routed back in behind the RH rear panel (The rear HVAC unit is located here) and up the rear quarter. This is the difficult bit.
That sounds out of my comfort zone, but you never know, thanks for explaining.:thanks

That sounds out of my comfort zone, but you never know, thanks for explaining.:thanks
I have rigged up an external 12 volt socket.

I hardwired cable to the leisure battery under the passenger seat, ran the cable under the trim to the tailgate, and out of the tailgate through the tailgate loom, across the back of the van in the rain gully to the awning. I drilled a small hole in the awning end cap, and there the cable terminates with an anderson connector.

1589480112928.png
Ring terminal to anderson connector with a 50A fuse.

1589480032607.png
12V supply running into the awning housing.

1589480309053.png
Anderson connector in awning housing. Supply suitable for lighting, refrigeration, 12 volt kettles, etc.

Each appliance should be appropriately fused, the 50A fuse is to protect the battery from goofwittery (I've already blown it once!)

We have battery operated LED’s Inside & out.

Hi
I took a feed from the back of the 12v socket on the boot through a fuse and into an rf switch from ebay. Also fitted an isolating switch in the facia panel so i could switch it of to avoid battery drain. The wire went up the inside of the facia and out through the boot seal rubber onto the back of the awning and onto the strip. Whole job took about an hour and the switch and bits cost about twenty quid plus the led strip. Looks great and can be switched on by remote from about thirty feet away

D299B5DC-882D-45B6-AF04-CBDCE21DCCB4.jpeg

Hi
I took a feed from the back of the 12v socket on the boot through a fuse and into an rf switch from ebay. Also fitted an isolating switch in the facia panel so i could switch it of to avoid battery drain. The wire went up the inside of the facia and out through the boot seal rubber onto the back of the awning and onto the strip. Whole job took about an hour and the switch and bits cost about twenty quid plus the led strip. Looks great and can be switched on by remote from about thirty feet away

View attachment 59353
Like that pic captain Kirk, where is that?

That may have been me! I chose to use the lighting circuit to have it all tucked away permanently. However the option to have a 12v plug attached to the transformer was an option from Aten Lighting where I had ordered the kit from. They even prepared the respective lighting strip and cables to the length I specified.