Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Batteries not charging from engine

Dave_T

Dave_T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,

i recently had a towbar fitted to my california, and I think the engineer broke something while fitting the electrics....

The leisure batteries now don't seem to be charging when the leisure batteries, but they do charge fine when plugged into the mains. On the mains, the voltage reads about 14v and has a positive value for amps (6-8, and then drops as the batteries go to full charge)

my question is:
While the engine is running, My control panel reads 12.5v (ish), and -0.2 amps. If I turn the fridge on, this changes to -2 to -3 amps. For a properly working system charging off the engine, what would these values normally be?

Thanks
Dave

These values definitively indicate no charge from the engine. Perhaps a fuse under the LH seat, that would be one of the big fuses, most likely, as it seems the current is not flowing from the generator. And interrogate the installer, he must have made some error or mistaken modification.

Thanks very much. That was what I expected, but it's good to have confirmation. I have booked it back in with the installer.. which was an official VW van centre.

Cheers
Dave

While engine running on roofdisplay it should show "G" ( as in generator?) instead of the batterysymbol

Hi. yes the 'G' is showing correctly while the engine is on.... It just isn't charging.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
Well, the van centre said that it's nothing to do with the new towbar. Investigations ongoing....

Hmmm.... odd that the problem started just after they did this work.

Could be the 80 amp fuse under the passenger seat

apparently it was a fuse in the engine from the alternator.... So it wouldn't have been charging the main bettery either.

I bet they shorted something by accident -but won't admit it of course!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the van's back and the battery reading implies it's been charged, but wait, what's this I see... A flashing heater symbol.... Sigh... They've obviously disconnected the main battery and not rekeyed the control unit for the heater.

Back it goes...

I swear that the servicing is 100% the main problem with owning a california...

Just reset it yourself press and hold the bottom right button on the control panel for a few seconds

Calikev to the rescue! thanks very much!

Back