Leisure batteries not charging on mains hookup

J

James Sansum

Jimmer
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi!

I’m new to the site but have been looking through old posts for help with my issue.
I have a recently purchased 2014 California SE which does not charge leisure batteries when on mains connection. I’ve checked all the usual things, all fuses under front passenger seat are fine, not tripped out in cupboard at the back etc.

The power comes through ok to the 240 volt socket on side of kitchen unit behind front left passenger seat but does not charge the two leisure batteries. When I plug into mains the heads up display / control unit stays in the battery symbol. The leisure batteries charge ok when engine running through alternator and the ‘G’ symbol appears but when engine off and plugged into mains I do not get the plug symbol indicating the batteries are being charged off mains.

The van has only done just over 8k miles so I would be surprised if the charging system has gone amiss. Is there anything obvious I could do? I am going to put a meter on it tonight or tomorrow to check for sure no charging from mains connection.

The other day I hooked up the van on the driveway. The leisure batteries were showing as 0% and did not charge even after 24 hours of being plugged in to mains and remained at 0% with battery symbol showing on display unit. They only recharged once engine running and reverts to ‘G’ symbol. We drove 120 miles to Cornwall last week and batteries charged to 80% but then drained over next day or so as we had fridge on at campsite and in the end had to revert to separate coolbox in awning to save leisure batteries.

Any advice would be great appreciated!

Thanks

Hi!

I’m new to the site but have been looking through old posts for help with my issue.
I have a recently purchased 2014 California SE which does not charge leisure batteries when on mains connection. I’ve checked all the usual things, all fuses under front passenger seat are fine, not tripped out in cupboard at the back etc.

The power comes through ok to the 240 volt socket on side of kitchen unit behind front left passenger seat but does not charge the two leisure batteries. When I plug into mains the heads up display / control unit stays in the battery symbol. The leisure batteries charge ok when engine running through alternator and the ‘G’ symbol appears but when engine off and plugged into mains I do not get the plug symbol indicating the batteries are being charged off mains.

The van has only done just over 8k miles so I would be surprised if the charging system has gone amiss. Is there anything obvious I could do? I am going to put a meter on it tonight or tomorrow to check for sure no charging from mains connection.

The other day I hooked up the van on the driveway. The leisure batteries were showing as 0% and did not charge even after 24 hours of being plugged in to mains and remained at 0% with battery symbol showing on display unit. They only recharged once engine running and reverts to ‘G’ symbol. We drove 120 miles to Cornwall last week and batteries charged to 80% but then drained over next day or so as we had fridge on at campsite and in the end had to revert to separate coolbox in awning to save leisure batteries.

Thanks
Sometimes the power lead plug comes out of the charger, access from the rear battery area under the cooler.

We drove 120 miles to Cornwall last week and batteries charged to 80% but then drained over next day or so as we had fridge on at campsite and in the end had to revert to separate coolbox in awning to save leisure batteries.

Cali-electrics gurus on the forum will help you with a troubleshoot sequence for these probs. But... it's NOT normal for the leisure batteries to drain from 80% to zero in a day or so, even with the fridge on max in warm weather.

Hi!

Thanks
As has been mentioned above, Check the “ Electric Kettle Type “ plug is correctly plugged into the Charger, accessed via the removable panel at the base of the rear wardrobe. The Charger is positioned on top of the Rear Leisure Battery.
If your vehicle is 4 yrs old and has only done 8k Miles, and the Charger is not plugged in then the likelihood is that both Leisure Batteries are knackered to put it bluntly.

Also, despite it having only covered 8k miles it is 4 yrs old so should have had Cambelt and Water Pump changed, AirCon Service, Clutch and Brake Fluid changed, Gearbox and Engine Oil as well as other items as all of these items are Time limited as well as Milage limited, and yours are definitely time limited and overdue if they haven’t already been done.

If your vehicle is 4 yrs old and has only done 8k Miles, and the Charger is not plugged in then the likelihood is that both Leisure Batteries are knackered to put it bluntly.

I concur. The fact that the batts seems to be holding only a day or so's off-grid charge certainly supports that.

However, if/when you manage to get them charging via EHU, give them a 48-hour dose hooked up at home and then see if they'll hold a charge. With the fridge running overnight (but checking that no other big ancillaries are running, like the 'hidden' boot light - look at the amperage draw on the control panel) you should only be getting a moderate level drop overnight eg from 90% to 70%, although the percentage reading is only very approximate.

By the way, the fridge (fairly obviously) draws power most heavily while getting cold, but once at required level the power draw is much less, just a couple of amps typically. And the leisure batteries in as-new condition should hold 100 Ah hence up to 5 days of chilled beer.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice.

I checked a few things out now - with the mains socket plugged into the side of the van i have 250V at the mains socket on side of kitchen unit and leisure batteries still not
charging from mains. Charge no problem off alternator.

I checked the mains input socket for the
charging unit (similar to a kettle lead under wardrobe, directly above 2nd leisure battery as previously advised) and it was indeed not fully pushed in, but once fully connected it made no difference, leisure batteries still not charging!

So, disconnected mains input socket/lead from charging unit and tested with meter and found that there was no mains voltage present I.e. appears no power actually going through cable to charging unit.

Can only think there must be another issue between the van mains input and the input (kettle type lead) to the charger as the RCBO in rear cupboard has not tripped.

Any further advice again will be greatly appreciated for a DIY fix, to save what could be a very costly trip to my local VW van centre, Heritage of Bristol.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice.

I checked a few things out now - with the mains socket plugged into the side of the van i have 250V at the mains socket on side of kitchen unit and leisure batteries still not
charging from mains. Charge no problem off alternator.

I checked the mains input socket for the
charging unit (similar to a kettle lead under wardrobe, directly above 2nd leisure battery as previously advised) and it was indeed not fully pushed in, but once fully connected it made no difference, leisure batteries still not charging!

So, disconnected mains input socket/lead from charging unit and tested with meter and found that there was no mains voltage present I.e. appears no power actually going through cable to charging unit.

Can only think there must be another issue between the van mains input and the input (kettle type lead) to the charger as the RCBO in rear cupboard has not tripped.

Any further advice again will be greatly appreciated for a DIY fix, to save what could be a very costly trip to my local VW van centre, Heritage of Bristol.

Thanks a lot in advance!
This is the Mains Circuit Diagram for the California SE.

If the Kitchen Socket is Live then the RCD Switch is functioning. If there is no power to the Charger Plug the I presume there is a problem with the Plug or the cable connection “upstream”.
B944CACC-04FB-45A8-8818-B5AE0C917B9A.jpeg

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...937/subcategory/937090/part_id/3707145/lang/e

22D26AFD-DCB2-4CE7-AF3A-42F6572951D2.jpeg

Just as a double check. You could grab an iec mains cable (computer or similar) and plug it directly into the charger and plug it into an extension lead and see if the charger works..

What is the voltage on both leisure batteries? If they have gone below 10v for a prolonged period they are probably not capable of taking a charge as mentioned above.

Thanks all - great club forum this. You are all so helpful.
Welshgas - thanks a lot for the diagrams. Exactly what I need.
Loz - thanks for the generous offer. I did exactly that, I remembered an old LG LCD tv up in loft had an iec cable so I tried it and hey presto up popped the euro plug symbol on overhead display the van is now charging fine!
So that isolates it to the vans iec cable into charger I should think. Looking at exploding diagram it splits off so maybe it’s just the connection into charger socket is faulty .
MattBW - luckily (hopefully) I do not believe the leisure batteries went below 10.6v detailed on over-head display. It was up to 14v+ following the above mentioned work around this eve.
Still a pain but such a relief to finally narrow it down. Fingers crossed I do not have to replace the charger or batteries and the overhead display now appears to be working fine. I ran the VW diagnostic and reported ‘no errors’ even before the workaround fix.

Not sure what I’m going to do to fix the cable now though. Baffled how it could have developed a fault in the first place.

Thanks a lot all. You’re a great bunch

Last edited:
Thanks all - great club forum this. You are all so helpful.
Welshgas - thanks a lot for the diagrams. Exactly what I need.
Loz - thanks for the generous offer. I did exactly that, I remembered an old LG LCD tv up in loft had an iec cable so I tried it and hey presto up popped the euro plug symbol on overhead display the van is now charging fine!
So that isolates it to the vans iec cable into charger I should think. Looking at exploding diagram it splits off so maybe it’s just the connection into charger socket is faulty .
MattBW - luckily (hopefully) I do not believe the leisure batteries went below 10.6v detailed on over-head display. It was up to 14v+ following the above mentioned work around this eve.
Still a pain but such a relief to finally narrow it down. Fingers crossed I do not have to replace the charger or batteries and the overhead display now appears to be working fine. I ran the VW diagnostic and reported ‘no errors’ even before the workaround fix.

Not sure what I’m going to do to fix the cable now though. Baffled how it could have developed a fault in the first place.

Thanks a lot all. You’re a great bunch
Personally, I would bet the IEC plug has a fault.

I would check very carefully to see if Mains power is available at the IEC Plug. I know you have checked once. If definitely absent then chop the plug Off, as it is a moulded plug, and re-check the bare wires. If No Power the fault is further upstream. If Power is present then just wire in a new plug or an extension and plug.

Or, wire in a New extension and Plug directly from the Mains Input Socket. NB: the Charger feed doesn't go via the RCD Switch.

Does it also work if you plug your cable into the socket on the sink?
(Just thinking you might have lost the neutral)

Done a continuity test today and the van's IEC plug feed for the battery charging unit has lost the Live feed. The Neutral is there not the Live.

The 240v socket on side of kitchen unit has a full circuit. So sounds like the cable running through from the van's exterior mains connection point, which appears to be split to the charging unit under wardrobe could have a faulty connection block or something.

Does anyone know if this cable is in one piece product and splits into the two plugs for the unit 240v socket and charging unit or is it two separate cables with a connection block? Otherwise I cannot understand how one feed to 240v socket is fine but feed to charging unit has lost the Live. Possibly the split cable to charging unit has been crushed or caught on something. There does not appear to be any sign of after sale modifications or removal of leisure battery (under wardrobe) in the past. Van only 4 years old.

Looking at the previously posted (in this thread) exploding diagram it appears a simple electrical setup with a one piece split cable but the trouble is getting to it. Crucially this cable is housed behind / underneath wardrobe / back cupboard where the gas and water supplies also run through and the charger and leisure battery. I'm sure an auto electrician could fix but would not have the knowledge to safely and competently remove the fittings in a Cali to access electrics. Leaves me with either a DIY or Heritage, Bristol job. Big costly main dealer job to remedy I should think and time consuming for me.

As advised by WelshGas prior, a work-around for now is to plug the mains exterior cable into side of van and plug an extension 4 gang or the like into the 240v socket on side of kitchen unit and then plug my additional IEC cable into the charging unit and run under back seat bench. This way the charging unit power and rest of van will all still run via RCB and safe for campsite hook up. Lucky the 240v socket works!

Just an update on condition of leisure batteries - after doing the manually work around fix to charger unit, I left on continuous charge for 24 hours until last night. Just prior to disconnecting last night the display (showing the euro plug symbol) read 12.7v and 4.2 amps. After disconnection the overhead CCU display reverted to the 'full' battery symbols showing a reading of 12.7v 100% with a -0.2 amp draw (amp draw due to overhead display which I then switched off via bottom left button). One hour later it read 90% at 12.5v and two hours further after that 12.4v at 80%. This morning, 12 hours after disconnecting from mains hook up it was further down at 70% 12.3v with just the -0.2A draw still. This has now stabilised and at lunchtime still at 70%. With engine running and alternator powering it jumps back up quickly to 100% but when swiftly drops back to 70% when engine switched off. My thought is, the percentage is not necessarily indicative of how full the battery is so batteries are ok for now. I did read somewhere after a deep discharge down to a prolonged 0% the batteries should be left for a 48 hour continuous mains charge.

Thanks all! :)

Generally you will not see above 80% from engine charging anyway, so although a little lower than a new battery it feels about right. The percentage is based upon an algorithm and generally the voltage at rest is a better indication and if its stabilised that is good. It does seem to be dropping off quickly though, is there definitely a link between both of your leisure batteries? Are you the voltages the same on each? Sometimes one can drain into the other if one is a weak link.

Done a continuity test today and the van's IEC plug feed for the battery charging unit has lost the Live feed. The Neutral is there not the Live.
good, that's what I was thinking..

Looking at the previously posted (in this thread) exploding diagram it appears a simple electrical setup with a one piece split cable but the trouble is getting to it. Crucially this cable is housed behind / underneath wardrobe / back cupboard where the gas and water supplies also run through and the charger and leisure battery. I'm sure an auto electrician could fix but would not have the knowledge to safely and competently remove the fittings in a Cali to access electrics. Leaves me with either a DIY or Heritage, Bristol job. Big costly main dealer job to remedy I should think and time consuming for me.

If this was me, I would source/make up a lead with new IEC plug (I have loads of various length on my drawer) and drop it down the back of the wardrobe from the RCBO and fish the plug out from behind the leisure battery and plug it into the charger, then strip the cable back at the RCD end and connect it in to the back of the RCBO. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

Last edited:

The 240v socket on side of kitchen unit has a full circuit. So sounds like the cable running through from the van's exterior mains connection point, which appears to be split to the charging unit under wardrobe could have a faulty connection block or something.

Does anyone know if this cable is in one piece product and splits into the two plugs for the unit 240v socket and charging unit or is it two separate cables with a connection block? Otherwise I cannot understand how one feed to 240v socket is fine but feed to charging unit has lost the Live. Possibly the split cable to charging unit has been crushed or caught on something. There does not appear to be any sign of after sale modifications or removal of leisure battery (under wardrobe) in the past. Van only 4 years old.

As advised by WelshGas prior, a work-around for now is to plug the mains exterior cable into side of van and plug an extension 4 gang or the like into the 240v socket on side of kitchen unit and then plug my additional IEC cable into the charging unit and run under back seat bench. This way the charging unit power and rest of van will all still run via RCB and safe for campsite hook up. Lucky the 240v socket works!

Just an update on condition of leisure batteries - after doing the manually work around fix to charger unit, I left on continuous charge for 24 hours until last night. Just prior to disconnecting last night the display (showing the euro plug symbol) read 12.7v and 4.2 amps. After disconnection the overhead CCU display reverted to the 'full' battery symbols showing a reading of 12.7v 100% with a -0.2 amp draw (amp draw due to overhead display which I then switched off via bottom left button). One hour later it read 90% at 12.5v and two hours further after that 12.4v at 80%. This morning, 12 hours after disconnecting from mains hook up it was further down at 70% 12.3v with just the -0.2A draw still. This has now stabilised and at lunchtime still at 70%. With engine running and alternator powering it jumps back up quickly to 100% but when swiftly drops back to 70% when engine switched off. My thought is, the percentage is not necessarily indicative of how full the battery is so batteries are ok for now. I did read somewhere after a deep discharge down to a prolonged 0% the batteries should be left for a 48 hour continuous mains charge.

Thanks all! :)
I would think the IEC plug is at fault. Can you not just take it off and replace just the plug?

The Wiring loom is in 1 piece with plug connectors as in the Diagram.

I would think the IEC plug is at fault. Can you not just take it off and replace just the plug?

The Wiring loom is in 1 piece with plug connectors as in the Diagram.
Agree, worth taking the plug off and checking the live cable directly.

Thanks all - I'm going to do that. Hopefully it is just the plug and then can chop off and wire in a new one.

Sorry but I have another question - the cable loom appears made to size so no slack to pull out. It's such a tight fit with battery and charging unit in this little space would be very difficult to wire in a new plug. How easy is it take out this leisure battery under wardrobe to create more space to work? On top of the battery there is a coil of cable with protective sleeve (assume this is to connect battery). Can this be easily pulled out to lift up the leisure battery and slide out underneath the charging unit. o_O

Thanks a lot!

Thanks all - I'm going to do that. Hopefully it is just the plug and then can chop off and wire in a new one.

Sorry but I have another question - the cable loom appears made to size so no slack to pull out. It's such a tight fit with battery and charging unit in this little space would be very difficult to wire in a new plug. How easy is it take out this leisure battery under wardrobe to create more space to work? On top of the battery there is a coil of cable with protective sleeve (assume this is to connect battery). Can this be easily pulled out to lift up the leisure battery and slide out underneath the charging unit. o_O

Thanks a lot!
see this post if you need pictures.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...arger-to-replace-vw-split-charge-relay.23466/

Last edited:

Thanks a lot!
Easy to take out Leisure Battery. Undo the Battery clip and there is enough cable to move the battery outside. I used a large bladed paint scraper or similar to slide the battery up and over the lip.

Easy to take out Leisure Battery. Undo the Battery clip and there is enough cable to move the battery outside. I used a large bladed paint scraper or similar to slide the battery up and over the lip.
That reminds me, next time mine is out I'm going to put a webbing strap around it make it easier to pull out.

Thanks the relay post is extremely useful for adding my battery monitor to the vehicle battery too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back