Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Batteries not charging, pronge icon but no charge?

Westie82

Westie82

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi Guys,

My leisure batteries have dropped to 12.1 volts as I haven't used my westie for a while, I bought a couple of new ones about 4 months ago and haven't charge them since then. Anyhow plugged the van into the mains via the exterior socket and get the "plug prong " icon on the LCD indicating hook up.

I have left it charging all day and it appears to have not put any charge into the batteries as I started with 12.1 and after a day of charging I still only have a reading of 12.1 ?

Any ideas ?

Last edited:
1. Does the displayed voltage change between On / Off Mains?
2. What is the Displayed voltage when the engine is running?

The Control Panel shows the Mains Plug icon via a feed from the charger. Do you have a Mains socket in the vehicle? Is that powered when connected to the Mains?

VW recommend placing the vehicle on Mains at least monthly for a minimum of 12-24 hrs.

Hi Guys,

My leisure batteries have dropped to 12.1 volts as I haven't used my westie for a while, I bought a couple of new ones about 4 months ago and haven't charge them since then. Anyhow plugged the van into the mains via the exterior socket and get the "plug prong " icon on the LCD indicating hook up.

I have left it charging all day and it appears to have not put any charge into the batteries as I started with 12.1 and after a day of charging I still only have a reading of 12.1 ?

Any ideas ?

Mark

Hey Mark. Not sure whether you've resolved this yet, but given that you've changed your batteries could it be something as simple as a bad connection somewhere?

Hi Guys,

Really sorry for the delay in getting back, works been manic.

Thanks for the write up Welshgas, i appreciate it.

Mr cheesbrough, funny you should say that as for some unknown reason, the day after I wrote this post I hooked the van back up to the mains again and the voltage shot up to 13 - 14 volts, must have been some crap in the socket or some corrosion on the pins as it appears to be working fine now.

Strange as I did hook it up 3 times prior and pushed the plug full home, had the plug icon but no charge going in.

Last edited:
As my knowledge of physics is limited to struggling through GCE 'O' Level in the early sixties, I wondered if I might ask what I'm sure is a very basic and naive question regarding the 'magic' that is electricity?

When I'm rolling down the road my read out is telling me that the leisure battery is charging at 14.5V or thereabouts, so as far as I'm concerned it's telling me the charging system is working as it should.

When parked up with the fridge on etc, the amount of voltage indicated decreases steadily. I can usually get about three days out of the battery before it drops to around 10V and things start flashing to tell me I'm out of electrical battery power. This much I think I understand.

What puzzles me is that when the bus is sat on the drive for a week or two the voltage read out just sits there at 12.6V...what is this telling me?

When I plug in the mains (to keep the system charged) I get a 14.6V read out, which then drops back to 12.6V.

Why it can't have a dial showing 'green' for good and 'red' for 'needs charging' beats me...I could understand that!

BTW, I'm still using the original leisure battery from 2002...it'll probably die now that I've publicised it!

Plug icon is no indication of charger output , only confirmed input.

As stated, check all battery connections are tight etc. Check all plugs/sockets in/out of the charger are secure.

Dismantle and check your hook up cable connections. These bits of kit are oft ignored/abused.

sidepod

Is your note above intended for my information?
Does it mean my charging system is not working as it should?
What should my read out show when parked on the drive with nothing switched on?

Sorry to be a naive pain in the parts and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

sidepod

Is your note above intended for my information?
Does it mean my charging system is not working as it should?
What should my read out show when parked on the drive with nothing switched on?

Sorry to be a naive pain in the parts and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
If you're pitched up and plugged in with nothing running then, assuming batteries are healthy, you should see at least 13v, probably 13.4v.

If you have a dual output charger then there should be similar at the engine battery when measured with a voltmeter.

sidepod

Thanks for the information. I guess as my battery is fourteen years old, the slight drop from your suggested 13v to my 12.6v is only to be expected. The battery will hold 12.6v sat on the drive (with nothing switched on) for 10/14 days, so I guess there can't be too much wrong with it.

I charge it regularly from the mains and will take your advice about checking/cleaning connections etc. I doubt it's been out of the van since it left the factory!

Thanks for your help; much appreciated.

Back