Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure batteries.

Brownbetty

Brownbetty

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've just taken my leisure battery down to my local motorist discount shop to get it checked out, he said it was spot on but it's not a leisure battery, he said it would have leisure wrote on.
Is he right.
here is a pic of the battery. IMG_20191021_165706523.jpg IMG_20190923_183303946.jpg

I found this (in Dutch):
The better thing would be a gel battery, but those aren't great for starter battery, as they can't give the cranck current. And as you know, when the aux heater kicks in, there is quite some current drawn (30A+).
It isn't really a problem of VW using AGM as they are used as starter batteries in cars with stop/start. So they can handle some deep discharge, and thus they are usable as leisure batteries too.

So if you have to change your leisure batteries, change them with at least AGM. Not with normal lead acid batteries as they can't handle the discharge we sometimes ask from them when not on hookup, but using fridge and heater for a couple of days.

I'd wait for more replies. That looks like the orig leisure batt spec to me.

it is a leisure battery same as mine

it is a leisure battery same as mine
That's good to hear.
My problem is after a fifty mile ride &park up for the night with fridge, one light on over the cooker, we put the heater on & it cuts out after abt two to three hours, that's on the lowest setting, plenty of diesel, earth shunt done.
The van is 2007 I don't know if they are the original batteries, I've had it three years.
I'm thinking of just putting them back in & putting a solar panel on the roof.
Anyone got any ideas. Cheers.

when was the last time you charged it using the mains?

If you look on the "-" of the battery you will see something like 17 07: like 17 on top of 07.
upper 2 cyphers are the week of production and the under 2 are the year.
If the lowest number is 07, or even 06, then those batteries are over 12 years old. Then it will be "normal" if they are not that good anymore.
A normal starter battery is normal to be changed about 6 years. Earlier is not that good, later is better.

Just looked at your first picture: 36 (week) 07 (year). So it might be a good idea to renew the batteries.
Not only is it cheaper than installing a solar panel (if you weren't doing it anyway), but if the batteries degrade further, you will have the risk of damaging the batteries (in worst case explosion and damage to the interior) up to the point of the batteries not working at all anymore, even with the solar panel, leaving you with the only option: changing the batteries after all.

Solar panel is a good idea, but not only for the purpose of keeping a dying battery alive. What happens when you take the night out? No sun = no batteries charging = cutoff of the heater, fridge, lights, ...

That's good to hear.
My problem is after a fifty mile ride &park up for the night with fridge, one light on over the cooker, we put the heater on & it cuts out after abt two to three hours, that's on the lowest setting, plenty of diesel, earth shunt done.
The van is 2007 I don't know if they are the original batteries, I've had it three years.
I'm thinking of just putting them back in & putting a solar panel on the roof.
Anyone got any ideas. Cheers.
Apart from the heater stopping, does the fridge continue?
and what about the lights.

Earth shunt?

Just looked at your first picture: 36 (week) 07 (year). So it might be a good idea to renew the batteries.
Not only is it cheaper than installing a solar panel (if you weren't doing it anyway), but if the batteries degrade further, you will have the risk of damaging the batteries (in worst case explosion and damage to the interior) up to the point of the batteries not working at all anymore, even with the solar panel, leaving you with the only option: changing the batteries after all.

Solar panel is a good idea, but not only for the purpose of keeping a dying battery alive. What happens when you take the night out? No sun = no batteries charging = cutoff of the heater, fridge, lights, ...
Hi T, how on earth did you spot that on the terminal, I tried to zoom in & still could not see it, nice to know the year.
What abt the guy saying the battery was spot on?

The OP is talking about "the battery" as if there is only one. There are two, one in the boot, the other under the passenger seat. Both would need verifying.

It must be abt a year, we are away nearly every wk end, but it doesn't get use much at home only short shop runs.
it really needs plugging in once a month as driving will not fully charge it i would say new battery needed

IMG_20191021_165706523.jpg

Spot on? If charged completely, the tester might give it

Damn, my whole story is gone :sad

the tester might give it a good score without being really good.

Had the starter battery of my Golf 4 charged completely once and checked. The test was excellent, but after 2 weeks of cranking up the engine in wintertime, it started failing again.

If I were you, and I am not, so... I would change the 2 leisure batteries, just for my own convenience.
You are still able to put on a solar panel, but not for keeping those dying batteries alive, as that won't help anymore for a long time. They might charge good, but they won't hold their charge anymore, so you will keep having the problems of cutting outs, needing to replace them nonetheless.

If i were you or triple bee but im not also, :) i would be thinking
that its just the heater with the problem.

My batteries are 2006 and still good but i have owned it from
new so they have been well looked after.

Damn, my whole story is gone :sad

the tester might give it a good score without being really good.

Had the starter battery of my Golf 4 charged completely once and checked. The test was excellent, but after 2 weeks of cranking up the engine in wintertime, it started failing again.

If I were you, and I am not, so... I would change the 2 leisure batteries, just for my own convenience.
You are still able to put on a solar panel, but not for keeping those dying batteries alive, as that won't help anymore for a long time. They might charge good, but they won't hold their charge anymore, so you will keep having the problems of cutting outs, needing to replace them nonetheless.
Thanks, sounds good advice & now I know the age of them I'm convinced. Change them I will. Should I get exactly the same. Cheers.

Back