Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery dead

J

John Stevenson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi Cali People

Stupidly let the the 'pleasure' battery drain out on our T6 Cali and didn't charge for about a month. Have hooked it up to the mains in the house for 24 hours and still no charge on it. When you take off the mains the battery symbol just flashes and shows 0% charge.

Any chance of a resurrection or does it need replacing?

cheers
John

Correct use of the word "stupid".

It might come back. Give it three or four days.

If it's not being driven, hook it up.

Yep, lesson learned. Will leave it on for as long as I can.

Are you absolutely sure it's charging on hook up? There's a thread about poor connections on the T6 to the charger
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/battery-not-charging-when-on-hookup.13404/#post-137685

Also have a read of this about AGM batteries, like the two Leisure batteries you have in the T6.
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/charging/resuscitate-deeply-discharged-battery
The problem could be greater with the pair of batteries in the Ocean as you are trying to get two completely discharged AGM batteries connected in parallel.
I don't know how "smart" the T6 charger is as it seems you can't get to it easily, but the above article might help you get them to start charge into so that the inbuilt charger can take over.
All the best.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I've done this a couple of times during ownership of ours (including the other day!) but haven't had any problems with the batteries once charging them up. We're away for the week at the moment and the fridge has been running for a couple of days without hook up, battery levels are still at 90% so no harm apparently done and these are 7 year old batteries.
As others have mentioned I think it's more likely a charging issue your end, everything is plugged in properly and turned on right?

Yesterday I reseated the cables both ends and messed around with the trip switch in the back cupboard and lo and behold I have 100% charge today. Must have been a slightly loose connection either in the house or the plug into the side of the van. Either way, all good. Cheers all.

Back