Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery Depleting Charge

V

vwales

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
When I first had the van - after a half decent drive the leisure battery would indicate between 40-50hrs+ of battery life on the console.

On our first trip it kept a dometic fridge going for close to 2days straight without needing to turn the engine.

Back in November due to being away from home and then returning and being wiped out with Covid both engine battery and leisure battery were flat due to inactivity (my fault entirely) had someone come out and perform a charge to get it back running again. Engine battery has been fine since with no further problems but I feel the leisure battery is depleting really quickly and rarely goes above 2/3s charge (maxed out at 36hrs battery life according to the console - this was after a 4hr drive)

Took it into the dealership to get a diagnostics check done - they charged the battery and when I collected the van the console read 43hrs - but by the following morning (with nothing plugged in / running) it had dropped overnight to 33hrs 30mins.

I’m not that experienced with the van, so this incredibly long winded post is essentially a question of - am I concerned for no reason? Or should I be considering getting a new Leisure battery?

Spring is just around the corner and plan to do some trips with the fam - worried we’ll need to drive somewhere/anywhere each day just to keep things ticking over.

F45E0D46-4C65-4B5F-9E7B-49BC9DAD2118.jpeg

CC80EE6B-3E33-431B-8A61-B2FDC08E3F89.jpeg

I have a similar issue post lockdown lay offs my leisure batteries drop quick from 100% (its a 2011 bus display console) to 70% and holds when parked up on drive there for around 10 days before dipping again..as soon as reading 60% it goes on charge...
charge back to 100% by driving or hook up weekly is getting me by at mo
but
basically a cell must be shot and I just need to bite that expensive bullet and replace them as limping by charging at home and using weekly is OK but always have a nagging doubt...
I suspect you too may have to replace in the end...
its ouch time for me and my wallet this spring...

Thanks for the insight. I suspect that’s the case for me also. I can’t get it close to 100% since it went flat.

Would a CTEK charger help "recondition" the battery if its not too far gone? No experience myself but others on here have. Just a thought. I wondered if it might save you the hassle of swapping.

Thanks for the insight. I suspect that’s the case for me also. I can’t get it close to 100% since it went flat.
2 Factors you should be aware of:-

1. According to your Avatar information you have a Beach Tourer, so I presume no factory fitted electric hookup and a mains charger. The Smart alternator, part of the BluMotion emission package will only charge the engine battery to 80% capacity, and here's the rub, will also only charge the single Leisure Battery to 80% capacity no matter how far you drive.

2. The Battery capacity in hours is an estimate and a very poor estimate. However the Voltage shown is accurate . In both your pictures the voltage shows the battery is fully charged.SoC-AGM.jpg

My new Beach had a flat battery when I left an interior light on. It flattened the starter and the Leisure batteries. Shouldn’t they be on separate circuits? What would happen if the leisure battery was run flat - would it also flatten the starter battery?

Back