Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery not holding charge

AlexInSweden

AlexInSweden

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi everyone. The gradual process of emerging from (a very cold, Swedish) winter hibernation continues... my leisure battery was flat as a pancake and whilst everything came back to life after a day on hookup in the driveway, the next morning it was totally flat again.

Last year the battery worked great, and I know it was new when I bought the van a couple of years ago.

I’m wondering... has the winter killed it? Is it still too cold? Does it need longer on hookup? Anyone familiar with post winter battery issues?
Cheers!
Alex

If the battery was indeed flat, this is not a good thing. How have you treated the battery during winter? Have you driven the van at all? Or not? Have you charged the leisure battery at all and if so, how often?

The advice is to charge once a month on hook up for 12-24 hours. Leaving it that long in colder climate may be just too much.
I have managed to revive a trailer battery with a CTEK reconditioning / battery charger. But not sure if that will help you.

Be best to take the battery out into a warmer, well ventilated, area and charge with a CTEK on recondition mode for a few days and keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks for the replies! No, I’ve not charged it at all, or driven the van really. Maybe one or twice the whole winter. (No winter tyres). You think I’ve killed it? If so I guess a replacement is the only option, what should I expect to pay for that?

Thanks for the replies! No, I’ve not charged it at all, or driven the van really. Maybe one or twice the whole winter. (No winter tyres). You think I’ve killed it? If so I guess a replacement is the only option, what should I expect to pay for that?
I would think it is probably extremely likely.
How is the Engine Battery?

The engine battery seems fine. I mean everything is starting ok. I’ve never thought that the winter would kill a car battery before.
Does anyone know the specification for the right kind of leisure battery? Sorry to sound like a total numpty... I’m new to this!

The engine battery seems fine. I mean everything is starting ok. I’ve never thought that the winter would kill a car battery before.
Does anyone know the specification for the right kind of leisure battery? Sorry to sound like a total numpty... I’m new to this!
Varta LA80 (if you have a T5 onwards) I can't see your profile details so please check first!

Last edited:
Nice one. Thanks everyone. :)
Be aware, the battery mentioned is for the T5 onwards which has 2 Leisure Batteries. How many do you have?

The 1996 T4 Campers had 1 or 2 Batteries.
E7067032-24C8-472F-A2E2-9443ABD0E590.png
F102814E-E2A2-4A0A-8EFE-2BBACEA31E60.jpeg

Remember that, depending on what type of battery you go for, you will need to alter the DIP switch settings on the rear of the overhead display unit accordingly.
There is plenty of Intel on this here if you search.

It's good practise to charge the leisure batteries from electrical hookup (EHU) once a month for 12-24 hours to keep them healthy. Driving the van helps as well, but still a good idea to get it on EHU periodically.

If you do not use your van or hardly use it during the winter, another good idea is to connect a trickle charger, which you connect to the van while it is in 'winter hibernation'. It will charge and deplete, charge and deplete the batteries. It keeps them healthy. It's not expensive.

Last time I had to replace a leisure battery for our T4 (few years ago) it cost around 250 euros back then.

Last edited:
There is only one location for batteries on a 4 regardless of number fitted.
Last one I bought set me back 700 Sterling’s.

Crikey this is getting complicated. And expensive.. looks like the previous owner bought 2 x 105Ah batteries so that gives me a clue. Cost around 3800sek all in, which is about 320 quid. I’ll open up the cabinet this weekend and have a look. You live and learn... Thanks again everybody :)

Remember that, depending on what type of battery you go for, you will need to alter the DIP switch settings on the rear of the overhead display unit accordingly.
There is plenty of Intel on this here if you search.
Thanks. Is it 1A for one battery and 1B for two?

Ok so i found that one battery was warm and smelling a bit dodgy so I took both out pronto. Clearly one is damaged. I will hunt down new ones this week. I have never bought leisure batteries before; any tips other than matching the same size, gel, 105Ah (ish) and making sure the contacts fit? I’m a nervous wreck with electrics.

D685D18F-B517-4AC9-B85B-6D3BFCB7EC8B.jpeg

280B6173-6658-415D-86FE-BBAB00B727D2.jpeg

Ok so i found that one battery was warm and smelling a bit dodgy so I took both out pronto. Clearly one is damaged. I will hunt down new ones this week. I have never bought leisure batteries before; any tips other than matching the same size, gel, 105Ah (ish) and making sure the contacts fit? I’m a nervous wreck with electrics.

View attachment 75490

View attachment 75491
It does sound as if they have had it. I don’t know which battery makes are available in Sweden but if possible I wouldn’t go for the cheapest unless it’s a well known make like Varta or Exide, and a good warranty period 4+ years.
Whichever you get they should be charged for 12 - 24 hrs monthly unless your camping on EHU.
Overwinter, the same.

It does sound as if they have had it. I don’t know which battery makes are available in Sweden but if possible I wouldn’t go for the cheapest unless it’s a well known make like Varta or Exide, and a good warranty period 4+ years.
Whichever you get they should be charged for 12 - 24 hrs monthly unless your camping on EHU.
Overwinter, the same.
Ok thanks. I’ve emailed this company to see if I can get the same ones or they can advise me. I have the previous receipt, they cost £320 a pair which seems mid-range. Do you know if I have to do anything special when I fit them? Or just reconnect and hook up /drive for a bit? (assuming I get close-to-identical batteries).

Ok thanks. I’ve emailed this company to see if I can get the same ones or they can advise me. I have the previous receipt, they cost £320 a pair which seems mid-range. Do you know if I have to do anything special when I fit them? Or just reconnect and hook up /drive for a bit? (assuming I get close-to-identical batteries).
The link didn’t show up - maybe type the name?

If they are like for like replacements then just install and put the vehicle on mains hookup. If you wish, and have a separate battery charger, you could fully charge both batteries before installing, but just installing and charging in the vehicle will not be problematic.
However I would check that the charging system was set up correctly, as @sidepod mentioned in Posts 11 & 17.

Back