Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery: replacement

Dandel

Dandel

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello,
We have a 1994 California Coach.
Our fridge has not been lasting more than half a day recently, and the tap didn't work the other day, until we hooked up to mains.
Therefore we think the leisure battery is knackered.
Finally found the compartment where we thought the double leisure batteries would be, to find only one in there...
I know nothing of electrics, so dirgive my ignorance.
Should we have 2?
Does it matter?
Should I just replace this one, like for like, or get 2, as the compartment will take it?
What should I get?
Please, if anyone knows, can you give me advice?

One big one or two smaller ones. Roll a dice. Makes no difference. One is easiest.

This is what you need.

You could be right. But first it could be worth checking whether the battery has been getting charged. Does the control panel above the rear view mirror give you any info about the battery? Usually, when not on hook up it will show a voltage and a number of bars to represent the capacity remaining. A photo of your battery compartment would be useful too, we might be able to work out whether your wiring was adapted so just the one battery is used or whether it was fitted with just one battery from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One big one or two smaller ones. Roll a dice. Makes no difference. One is easiest.

This is what you need.
Thanks sidepod.
Looks good but doesn't match what's in there. Does that matter?

You could be right. But first it could be worth checking whether the battery has been getting charged. Does the control panel above the rear view mirror give you any info about the battery? Usually, when not on hook up it will show a voltage and a number of bars to represent the capacity remaining. A photo of your battery compartment would be useful too, we might be able to work out whether your wiring was adapted so just the one battery is used or whether it was fitted with just one battery from the factory.

Hi.
Voltage looks okay, but low/no bars... Will post pics.

20210803_084110.jpg

20210803_081406.jpg

20210803_072921.jpg

Voltage looks good for sure. Normally a single battery will fill that compartment. I’d think yours would of had two in it originally which might account for the low run time on your fridge. Or as @sidepod says you could fit one, but a really big one. As long as the type of battery (gel in most cases) is the same you should be fine.

As well as Tanya (who I’ve used and are very good) check out partsformachines.com. Last one I needed was cheaper than Tanya (even with Club discount) and was shipped to me directly from Yuasa.

In that middle photo, it looks like you have the loose end of the red cable very poorly insulated, I would get that wrapped up extremely well ASAP - if the other end is connected to you battery, which I strongly suspect it is, if that touches any metalwork you could be in serious trouble!

In that middle photo, it looks like you have the loose end of the red cable very poorly insulated, I would get that wrapped up extremely well ASAP - if the other end is connected to you battery, which I strongly suspect it is, if that touches any metalwork you could be in serious trouble!
I will definitely look at that first thing. Thanks

the extra cable and the empty place tells you should be having 2 leisure batterys there same is today California having. You Must immediately insulating the loose red connector or you can having fire if is touch metal in vehicle!.

It should but it’s a pretty low Amp hour so you’d be best fitting a pair. That’s how yours would have been originally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would a gel battery be used, as opposed to a liquid technology battery?

Apparently under normal use there is little difference between the two technologies. When not in use the gel battery has a much much lower discharge rate so should be less maintenance intensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back