Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery

Tracy Paine

Tracy Paine

living the dream
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
hi please can you confirm if the leisure battery kicks in automatically when not on electric hook up. We’ve been using the heater on and off, the lights and the radio for 24 hours (although out all day) and the sign comes up to turn the engine on to protect the battery. I understood that the battery should last up to 3 days.
Also is it safe to have the aux heater timed on over night ? The booklet warns of carbon monoxide poisoning! Thanks

.....the radio ? Don't tell me you have your radio in the dash on all the time.

The aux. heater can stay on without a problem , just make sure the exhaust fumes don't enter the Cali thru a open window or sliding door

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
hi please can you confirm if the leisure battery kicks in automatically when not on electric hook up. We’ve been using the heater on and off, the lights and the radio for 24 hours (although out all day) and the sign comes up to turn the engine on to protect the battery. I understood that the battery should last up to 3 days.
Also is it safe to have the aux heater timed on over night ? The booklet warns of carbon monoxide poisoning! Thanks
The Dashboard Radio runs from the Engine Battery. Repeated use can flatten that battery. Likewise the front cab lights and a full electric sliding door all run from the engine battery.
It is better to run the Diesel Parking Heater continuously and vary the Temperature Level than Starting and Stopping it frequently. Most power is used on Startup. It uses very little once fired up. Power comes from the Leisure Batteries.
You should be able to run Fridge, camping lights, heater etc: for about 3 + days of the Leisure Batteries.
I presume you plug into the Mains for a minimum 12 hrs / month to keep th3 Leisure Batteries in tip top condition, as per the Handbook?

Where did this Error Message come up, on the Control Panel.?

You are more likely to die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning from the cooker than the Parking Heater.

Thanks for the advice! Can’t believe we’d not sussed it our before now!!