Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi everyone, so I'v had the cali a year now and so far we have only used it on two 10 day trips and lots of weekend trips.
I've always noticed the leisure battery only shows no more than halve way on the readout and recently has only been on two to three bars.
I've given it a good week long charge on hookup but it seem to not have held the charge.
The battery is GEM 627 AGM that installed. Ive read so far that its probably safe enough for campervan use, but that they may require slightly higher voltage to charge properly compared to lead acid or gel type batteries.

Anyway, in advance of some longer trips planned, I'm planning to buy a new leisure battery and looking for advice or suggestions on a replacement leisure battery.
So far I have looked at these two, Exide & Varta
The original battery details are found here.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome
Regards Padraic.

Hi everyone, so I'v had the cali a year now and so far we have only used it on two 10 day trips and lots of weekend trips.
I've always noticed the leisure battery only shows no more than halve way on the readout and recently has only been on two to three bars.
I've given it a good week long charge on hookup but it seem to not have held the charge.
The battery is GEM 627 AGM that installed. Ive read so far that its probably safe enough for campervan use, but that they may require slightly higher voltage to charge properly compared to lead acid or gel type batteries.

Anyway, in advance of some longer trips planned, I'm planning to buy a new leisure battery and looking for advice or suggestions on a replacement leisure battery.
So far I have looked at these two, Exide & Varta
The original battery details are found here.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome
Regards Padraic.

Which has the longest warranty? Given the performance of both appears to be similar I’d be prepared to pay a little more money if the warranty was longer. Or if the cheaper one has the longer warranty you’ll get a good few nights on a campsite with the change. Winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, so after a bit of research I’m still not much the wiser!!!
I’ve read that NCC have a verification process for different types of leisure battery’s, class A,B &C.
Their classification states that Class A is suited more to people who don’t use hookup very often and rely on their battery for extended periods. So this sounds like what I want.
So I am planning to stick with the original spec of 140ah battery or can I got for a larger ah rating without any problems??
Was the T4 supplied from new with gel batteries?
I’ve read that different batteries such as AGM/Gel/lead acid need different charging profiles or the battery may deteriorate prematurely. So I want to get a battery type that suits the charger in the cali.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Padraic.

So this evening I've noticed the battery symbol is flashing and the voltage is reading 12.2 V
I'm gonna have to speed up my search.
I'm gonna give the battery a week charge on mains hookup next week, then test it the following weekend before I decide to buy.
The mains charger in the Cail, does anyone know what type of charger it is and does it do multi stage charging, bulk, absorption, float & pulse?
I'm struggling to find out what type of battery was originally fitted to the Cali, gel or what type.

Regards Padraic.

So this evening I've noticed the battery symbol is flashing and the voltage is reading 12.2 V
I'm gonna have to speed up my search.
I'm gonna give the battery a week charge on mains hookup next week, then test it the following weekend before I decide to buy.
The mains charger in the Cail, does anyone know what type of charger it is and does it do multi stage charging, bulk, absorption, float & pulse?
I'm struggling to find out what type of battery was originally fitted to the Cali, gel or what type.

Regards Padraic.
Does this help?

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...070/subcategory/420000/part_id/3707145/lang/e

There are the DIP switches on the rear of the control panel to select battery type and number.

There are the DIP switches on the rear of the control panel to select battery type and number.
I’ve seen those switches mentioned before, but I’ve never taken a look at them. Might be worth a look to check if they are set correctly. At this stage, if they are set incorrectly the battery may be ruined.
As I’m planning to make more use of the cali, I want to ensure that I’ve a good battery.
So the plan is the double check the split charge relay is working as it should, check the dip switches, charge the battery on hookup for a few days and then monitor it when I’m use next weekend.
Depending on results, I may have to replace the leisure battery.

I've had a quick look at the prices so that I know what to expect when buying. I've decided it will be an Exide ES 1600 140Ah Gel Battery I'll get, as its the correct one for the T4 Cali & its recommended as a Class A on the NCC verified leisure battery scheme.
However, there seem to be big differences in price.
Tayna.co.uk £279.99
The Battery Shop.co.uk £379.99
All Batteries.co.uk £458.99
Battery2u.co.uk £373.98
Eurobatt.co.uk £372.28

Has anyone experience with Tayna.co.uk? They are the cheapest, but they want £83 to ship it to me here in Ireland?
I'm gonna be at the Goodwood festival of speed in July and hoping to perhaps pick it up then, but they are located in,Tayna Ltd, Central Warehouse, High Street, Abergele, LL22 7AR, United Kingdom.
They wont ship it to a collection point, just to a business or residential address, so its not going to be easy to pick it up.

Regards Padraic.

Okay, so I checked the dip switches today, all in the down position, which I believe is correct,

First switch off, one battery.
Second switch off, its an AGM battery not lead acid, so its closer to gel than lead acid for the charging profile.
Third switch off, not sure what this setting does, as its related to the fridge??
Fourth switch off, Celsius.

I also had fitted a dual sensing, voltage sensing split charge relay. However I was a little suspicious of it not working correctly, so I reverted to the original split charge relay.
I had it fitted to try to enable charging of the engine battery when on hookup, but after researching Gel/AGM/Lead Acid batteries and charging them over the weekend, I've learnt that the different batteries have different charging profiles, so the voltage sensing relay may not be the best idea. I might consider the Ctek charger setup that Sidepod fitted for charging the engine battery.

So I have it on hookup for a few days to check the state of play with the battery over next weekend.

It’ll be interesting to see how your new bats perform. I think mine may be sub-prime. That said I’ve yet to see them below 12v.

Prob fit new ones next year.

It’ll be interesting to see how your new bats perform. I think mine may be sub-prime. That said I’ve yet to see them below 12v.

Prob fit new ones next year.
I’m gonna wait and see how it performs over the next weekend or two after a good charge this week.
The type of battery I want to get is the Exide ES1600 140Ah, but I cannot source one here in Ireland, and shipping is very expensive. So I’ll try to pick one up when I’m in the UK in July.
To be honest, I’m pissed off with how poor the voltage sensing relay performed.!!

I have used voltage sensing relays on 2 vans over the last 6 years. They seemed to work fine.
What are the symptons of it not working.. Just being curious...
Well I reverted to the standard relay today, in order to get a handle on the state of the leisure battery, and wondering if the relay had anything to do with their low level.
Anyway, I wired one pole of the relay to a permanent 12v supply, and an earth. started the engine and checked the relay with a meter, 14v on the side of the feed, 0v on the other side. When the earth wire is disconnected and connected to the emergency start pole on the relay it does work, but a drop of one volt between the two poles.
So I cannot be dealing with wondering if it’s working or not, gonna stick with the standard relay and do a similar Ctek charger setup like what sidepod did.

I've had a quick look at the prices so that I know what to expect when buying. I've decided it will be an Exide ES 1600 140Ah Gel Battery I'll get, as its the correct one for the T4 Cali & its recommended as a Class A on the NCC verified leisure battery scheme.
However, there seem to be big differences in price.
Tayna.co.uk £279.99
The Battery Shop.co.uk £379.99
All Batteries.co.uk £458.99
Battery2u.co.uk £373.98
Eurobatt.co.uk £372.28

Has anyone experience with Tayna.co.uk? They are the cheapest, but they want £83 to ship it to me here in Ireland?
I'm gonna be at the Goodwood festival of speed in July and hoping to perhaps pick it up then, but they are located in,Tayna Ltd, Central Warehouse, High Street, Abergele, LL22 7AR, United Kingdom.
They wont ship it to a collection point, just to a business or residential address, so its not going to be easy to pick it up.

Regards Padraic.
Hi Padraic, do not hesitate to use Tayna they are a brilliant company to deal with, I have used them for years and the level of service is second to none, next day delivery too. I replaced my original battery in the cali last weekend and you can see in the pics what I found. The original is 140ah gel and when turned around is actually made by Exide meaning the Exide Es1600 I fitted was the perfect oe replacement.
1a3c85f5ab069562c7922203d66c4894.jpg
f80290f6d57dbd8120914dcffca0a11d.jpg
10f0b60965ad9cb6e03a72df0bcea0e5.jpg
6fd2b6b81f7d5e42079379b121da180d.jpg
e4f4972650735c4598c1cddd3e189410.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Padraic, do not hesitate to use Tayna they are a brilliant company to deal with, I have used them for years and the level of service is second to none, next day delivery too. I replaced my original battery in the cali last weekend and you can see in the pics what I found. The original is 140ah gel and when turned around is actually made by Exide meaning the Exide Es1600 I fitted was the perfect oe replacement.
1a3c85f5ab069562c7922203d66c4894.jpg
f80290f6d57dbd8120914dcffca0a11d.jpg
10f0b60965ad9cb6e03a72df0bcea0e5.jpg
6fd2b6b81f7d5e42079379b121da180d.jpg
e4f4972650735c4598c1cddd3e189410.jpg

Cheers, yea it’s good to know they are a good company to deal with and that the EXide ES1600 is the correct battery.
It’s a shame that their shipping cost to Ireland is so expensive!!!
I’m gonna be in the uk for the Goodwood festival of speed in July, but Tanya are not located close by and won’t deliver to a collection point, so I may have to pay for the shipping.

Was your original battery gone very poor after so many years?

Cheers, yea it’s good to know they are a good company to deal with and that the EXide ES1600 is the correct battery.
It’s a shame that their shipping cost to Ireland is so expensive!!!
I’m gonna be in the uk for the Goodwood festival of speed in July, but Tanya are not located close by and won’t deliver to a collection point, so I may have to pay for the shipping.
Yeah that's naff, I paid £37 postage, it was delivered on a pallet. 80 is steep. My battery started not holding charge for very long last year and now had got to the point of 10v and the display panel flashing. I didn't mind as it's lasted since 2003 so not bad at all.
91edcc8c3264aec9fd412a7705622de2.jpg
3de49e1b3aa02f5c880c5c04d7c23455.jpg

Yeah that's naff, I paid £37 postage, it was delivered on a pallet. 80 is steep. My battery started not holding charge for very long last year and now had got to the point of 10v and the display panel flashing. I didn't mind as it's lasted since 2003 so not bad at all.
91edcc8c3264aec9fd412a7705622de2.jpg
3de49e1b3aa02f5c880c5c04d7c23455.jpg

Does the packaging seem excessive??

Back