Lending Cali to friends / family - Insurance

reserves

reserves

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hey,

I'm insured with Caravan Club who have been fine so far (i've not made a claim..)

However it's a nightmare if I want to add anyone to the insurance for a day / weekend / week.

At first they simply refused, then they said it's ok if it's family but I need to call them and pay £42 for the privilege.

Ideally I'm looking for an insurer who either
  • Lets me add a few family members to the policy full time
or / and
  • Lets me add friends easily and for free (for short lends)

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks

Rich

Thanks.

Should have said that I'd like an insurer than insures the Camper / Kitchen elements too (I'm not sure if Adrian Flux does?)

Are you lending it out for free?

If any payment even leaving a full fuel tank will invalidate insurance cover if it states 'Not for hire or reward'.

If the Police got involved with an incident you could end up with a very compact cubed Cali.

Are you lending it out for free?

If any payment even leaving a full fuel tank will invalidate insurance cover if it states 'Not for hire or reward'.

If the Police got involved with an incident you could end up with a very compact cubed Cali.

Yes! This is to my family and close friends, no charge and they can return it empty if they like.

This is really simple with our Golf, we just ring up and usually they just add the person as another driver permanently.

Great to have some input but no one has really answered my question :)

Or are we saying Adrian Flux (regardless of if they are good or bad) are flexible when adding family onto the policy either short or long term?

Thanks, though I can still do this with The Caravan Club.

Seems like Its not that popular to lend Cali's out to anyone. Personally I love to share the experience, so a bit of a shame there's not a super easy way to do it.

I would never ever lend our Cali to anybody alse! Its only me and my wife. Except the VW mechanic

I'd trust any of my family over a VW mechanic!

My colleagues daughter (22) tried to move their Multivan out of the garage and touched a pillar! Damage: € 2.500,--

I would really avoid lending your Cali to friends or family ( or anyone close for that matter)

We lent ours to close friends last year for a weekend away, the van came back with a ripped bellows and a kink in the roof, they had no idea how this happened even though we spent an hour showing them how things work.

This was obviously very awkward for both of us and even worse once we got the bill of £1,400 for the new bellows and for the roof to be repaired.

Sadly we fell out over this and 15 years of friendship gone!

I would advise anyone considering this, tell them to go to a hire company.

I would really avoid lending your Cali to friends or family ( or anyone close for that matter)

We lent ours to close friends last year for a weekend away, the van came back with a ripped bellows and a kink in the roof, they had no idea how this happened even though we spent an hour showing them how things work.

This was obviously very awkward for both of us and even worse once we got the bill of £1,400 for the new bellows and for the roof to be repaired.

Sadly we fell out over this and 15 years of friendship gone!

I would advise anyone considering this, tell them to go to a hire company.
What a horrible story.

I had been hoping to swap my Cali (once it arrives) with my brother in return for his canal boat for the odd week. Perhaps hiring a canal boat is a safer option, but at £1200 for a peak season week, maybe the chance of a £1400 repair bill is worth the risk after all.

Hey,

I'm insured with Caravan Club who have been fine so far (i've not made a claim..)

However it's a nightmare if I want to add anyone to the insurance for a day / weekend / week.

At first they simply refused, then they said it's ok if it's family but I need to call them and pay £42 for the privilege.

Ideally I'm looking for an insurer who either
  • Lets me add a few family members to the policy full time
or / and
  • Lets me add friends easily and for free (for short lends)

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks

Rich
Don't think any insurer will let you do that for free. We have ours insured with Direct Line, they only charge the additional risk cover without any admin fee when our sons and son in law borrow the California. The additional charge is minimal for a weekend, 1 week to 2 week spell. All I do is contact DL tell them who I am and hand the phone over to the borrower when it comes to the additional driver details/period required and credit card payment stages. I tried to do similar with my allroad when I had it insured with the RAC and they would only do for the additional whole year cover and an admin charge which quite honestly was extortionate. Hope you get it sorted out.
Wullie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't think any insurer will let you do that for free. We have ours insured with Direct Line, they only charge the additional risk cover without any admin fee when our sons and son in law borrow the California. The additional charge is minimal for a weekend, 1 week to 2 week spell. All I do is contact DL tell them who I am and hand the phone over to the borrower when it comes to the additional driver details/period required and credit card payment stages. I tried to do similar with my allroad when I had it insured with the RAC and they would only do for the additional whole year cover and an admin charge which quite honestly was extortionate. Hope you get it sorted out.
Wullie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your reply, I'l try direct line, I don't mind paying a little extra, just want it to be straight forward.

Lend our Cali to friends? Not on your nelly.

Calis are complicated vehicles and unless you have read thoroughly about the various potential problem areas and are aware of the fragility of certain parts, it will almost certainly get damaged in some way or other. When it comes back broken, it may lead to awkwardness, resentment, wailing, gnashing of teeth and possibly the loss of said friends. It's not as if you can demand a large deposit to cover any damage, like a hire company. So best not to go there.

They can always hire one.

I think you are a very generous person and you are unfortunately going to pay for this quality .people don't have respect for material items especially if it not owned by them . Some do but most don't .as you know there is a lot of things in and on a Cali well on ours there is anyway and it not that hard to damage stuff .ours was in the garage a while ago and some one tried to rotate the passenger seat from the drivers seat and neve opened the door agh the marked the passenger door panel and then had to replace it . So can you imagine if this was a friend or family all they would say is you can't really see it and as I read here recently as a saying is things will. Real and get scraped and get dirty just showes it's being used .my take on this is it's getting abused .i could not afford to fork out what ours is costing about 92 k euro and let some one drive off down the road in it .no thanks .i don't ask to borrow and don't lend and I find it all works well .i learnt this the hard way about 10 years ago .most of our both families have never even seen our Cali .our Cali and all of our cars etc are the same today as when bought new . Take a small. It of advice don't loan your Cali it will cause some sort of a problem along the line even down to
Someone putting petrol in to it as I have done this in my transporter but new and didn't start it . Wish you all the very best .

To answer my original question, I ended up going with Safeguard.

Not only were they very competitive but adding my Father and Brother in Law only increased the premium by £50.

They have a £36 charge for one week if you want to add someone as a one off.

Looking forward to my family enjoying the Cali as much as I do.

Happy Christmas all :)

Wow!
We had cover for any driver over 25 from Safeguard for out Brazilian Bay Danbury to enable our children and partners to use it to enable them to have holidays they can afford. No harm happened and we are all still talking!
We are about to pick up our Beach and have insured under the same ideal for the same reason. Unfortunately Safeguard will not insure a Beach but suggested Scenic - an associated company, who offer the same type of any driver policy for our intended! We are going with them for this year and will continue to scan the market for the future

Back