Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Length of VW ocean with open loaded VW bike rack for Eurotunnel

Team Ronnie

Team Ronnie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi ,wonder if anyone can help .we need to book EuroTunnel For VW california ocean with a VW bike rack With bikes .
we have VW bike rack but unfitted as does not fit in garage .Is there any one who has theirs fitted and knows the length when loaded with bikes for the Euro Tunnel please .

Length 5.8m with two bikes on, ie, no overhanging bike. With our bikes on was 2.35m high, but of course that’s a variable.

Length 5.8m with two bikes on, ie, no overhanging bike. With our bikes on was 2.35m high, but of course that’s a variable.
Thank you so much for prompt reply

Mine measures 5.8 which is 20 cm over cheaper 5.5 extra £90 category has anyone had experience of booking a 5.5 and getting length checked if just over?

Makes no difference to the cost, the system will book you as a motor home which are all the same price irrespective of length.

It will but you can then select up to 5, 5.5 or 8 metres depending on if you have bike rack and it does increase price, try it.

It will but you can then select up to 5, 5.5 or 8 metres depending on if you have bike rack and it does increase price, try it.
We were thinking of being a bit cheap skaty, loading the bikes in the cabin and folding up the rack for the train crossing.
It must have been me in a tight wad mood as I don’t even know what the price difference is.

Had already booke 5.5 as thought would get away with it but next size is up to 8 metres extra £64

Makes no difference to the cost, the system will book you as a motor home which are all the same price irrespective of length.
When did the system change? It's a while since I've used Eurotunnel, but it always surprised me that massive 5 tonners and small vans like Calis all seemed to be treated the same, irrespective of length.

When did the system change? It's a while since I've used Eurotunnel, but it always surprised me that massive 5 tonners and small vans like Calis all seemed to be treated the same, irrespective of length.

I don't know if its changed or not - Ive never paid more previously for having a bike rack on.
Have just tried it & it does appear to be 2 price bands even though there are 4 size bands. anything up to 5.5m is one cost & anything over that is another.

5.5 but now upgraded as did not want to risk a delay £68 extra
I have the same issue. An additional £82 (return) for my extra 40cm length (Atera Strada DL4). It might be worth leaving the bikes at home and renting four bikes in France (€35 each). Unless they don’t actually measure the vehicle length at the Eurotunnel terminal...

I have the same issue. An additional £82 (return) for my extra 40cm length (Atera Strada DL4). It might be worth leaving the bikes at home and renting four bikes in France (€35 each). Unless they don’t actually measure the vehicle length at the Eurotunnel terminal...
Unless the company specifically asks for length including bike rack then I just put 5m as length + bike rack.
Brittany ferries asked for vehicle length 5m and do you have a bike rack - Yes.

Similarly on my last shuttle booking.

Unless the company specifically asks for length including bike rack then I just put 5m as length + bike rack.
Brittany ferries asked for vehicle length 5m and do you have a bike rack - Yes.

Similarly on my last shuttle booking.

Your vehicle​

Length of campervan
What is the overall length of your campervan including any bikes, vehicles or storage boxes mounted on the rear - How to measure your campervan. If you are unsure of your vehicle size, make a best guess, then contact us before you travel to update your details.
Less than 5m
5m - 5.4m
5.5m - 8m
More than 8m

766FE702-217B-4440-BFD6-DDD76FE911DC.jpeg

Well they've changed that. Another reason to avoid the shuttle.

39787F44-7FBF-4AAC-8FE7-954B3CA9B081.png
If this vehicle check-in kiosk is Eurotunnel’s only measurement of the length, then I’d probably risk the extra 40cm and pay-up if challenged. Not sure though. How much extra diesel over 1600miles, with a bike carrier, @Amarillo ?! If it’s more than €50 then I might as well rent bikes and relax.

If this vehicle check-in kiosk is Eurotunnel’s only measurement of the length, then I’d probably risk the extra 40cm
Given that it appears to be calibrated only up to four metres, I can't see what purpose it serves.
Although, looking again, those markings seem significantly more than half a metre apart. (unless it's the perspective of the photo).

After doing same no checks were made mine was 5.65 with bikes did pay the extra as not to cause delay, but they say upto 5.4 then from 5.5 so there seems to be grey area, next time will take the uptown 5.4 and risk it, i think if you did the lower size and they see a bike rack that would be obvious and cause them to notice. And as we now take e-bikes would rather have my own setup.

On Eurotunnel they always get the car behind right up under the bike rack, so that makes me 5 metres. I say I have bikes but 5 m length. Never had any problems in dozens of trips.

I might check my Brittany ferries booking though as it was made 4 years ago!

We were thinking of being a bit cheap skaty, loading the bikes in the cabin and folding up the rack for the train crossing.
It must have been me in a tight wad mood as I don’t even know what the price difference is.
Yep we do the same. Then bike rack is within length of standard van.

Given that it appears to be calibrated only up to four metres, I can't see what purpose it serves.
Although, looking again, those markings seem significantly more than half a metre apart. (unless it's the perspective of the photo).
Well spotted! I think you are right - this picture shows a little van would only come to around ‘1’. I think the boxes are just a guide, to help them sort the various vehicle lengths into the correct lane, to fill carriages most efficiently.
4341B67F-D69B-4955-8409-6C4330A0DB2D.pngE0B5EE87-DC0A-49C0-AFF8-C54AF1628877.jpeg

Last edited:
On Eurotunnel they always get the car behind right up under the bike rack, so that makes me 5 metres. I say I have bikes but 5 m length. Never had any problems in dozens of trips.

I might check my Brittany ferries booking though as it was made 4 years ago!

Towbar rack for me, I’m afraid. If I pay the extra £82 for 5.5 - 8m length, then I shall park on the train, with a 2.2m space in front of me. Mrs Wease can jump out and quickly occupy the space with the picnic table & chairs, thus getting our (8m) money’s worth!

After doing same no checks were made mine was 5.65 with bikes did pay the extra as not to cause delay, but they say upto 5.4 then from 5.5 so there seems to be grey area, next time will take the uptown 5.4 and risk it, i think if you did the lower size and they see a bike rack that would be obvious and cause them to notice. And as we now take e-bikes would rather have my own setup.
Thanks for the update.

Back