Let’s not rush out too soon...

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I’ve been a bit vocal about the guidelines for CV. Some haven’t liked it.

The reason I have been vocal is because I have been concerned innocent folk, complying to the rules, could inadvertently be infected.

And now it’s happened.
My best friend.

Living in a foreign country (Kuwait) in an apartment under lockdown.
Monday - coughing
Tuesday - ok
Wednesday - ok
Overnight Weds/ Thursday - violently sick and diorrhea, fever starting, shivering and cold
Thursday - feverish, shivering and cold
Friday - feels fine, but food tastes of nothing
Saturday - let’s wait and see...

Could be Covid19 could be nothing.

This is an environment where curfew was strictly imposed, and abided by.
Shopping by permit (1 person from the household) once in 6 days. Curfew from 8pm to 6am. Face masks mandatory. Etc.

So if my best friend can be infected, then this could easily occur in the UK where I feel many are not adhering to much less stringent guidelines.

I think many people seem to think that either it's all over or it couldn't possibly happen to them. Or do some think that because they are young it won't effect them? Whilst it was wonderful seeing all those people enjoying themselves on the beaches on Thursday the shear numbers packed onto those sands just proves that the message is either not getting through or they just don't care any more.

Well it hasn't gone away. My ninety one year old father has been on a Covid ward for the last month. Being frail he had been self isolating at home since this all kicked off. He was fine and dandy until he fell and broke his hip. He tested negative on entering hospital but tested positive shortly after his operation. He also had sepsis following his op!. He has had a truly grim time but thankfully is now showing signs of improvement.

I just wish people would heed the advice given. If they don't then it's bound to lead to a far greater death toll. I'm sure that discussions will have already taken place to decide on the possible closure of beaches etc if there is a recurrence of the overcrowding.

I hope your friend is ok.

Last edited:
I thought we’d banned such chat?

I thought we’d banned such chat?

It’s in its own thread, not hi-jacking anyone else’s and in the COVID section.

As it’s also discussing the effects on members friends/relatives I think it’s OK.

If it gets political it can easily be moved to the Three Cocks.

Mike

I think many people seem to think that either it's all over or it couldn't possibly happen to them. Or do some think that because they are young it won't effect them? Whilst it was wonderful seeing all those people enjoying themselves on the beaches on Thursday the shear numbers packed onto those sands just proves that the message is either not getting through or they just don't care any more.

Well it hasn't gone away. My ninety one year old father has been on a Covid ward for the last month. Being frail he had been self isolating at home since this all kicked off. He was fine and dandy until he fell and broke his hip. He tested negative on entering hospital but tested positive shortly after his operation. He also had sepsis following his op!. He has had a truly grim time but thankfully is now showing signs of improvement.

I just wish people would heed the advice given. If they don't then it's bound to lead to a far greater death toll. I'm sure that discussions will have already taken place to decide on the possible closure of beaches etc if there is a recurrence of the overcrowding.

I for one wont be going into any pubs packed beaches or shops except for essentials any time soon.

Borris hope your father makes a speedy recovery.

[/QUOTE hope he gets better soon.

Covid is a very devicive Issue - understandly some people are scared and some are a little more adventurous.
I’ve been in public contact through out the lock down via my job and I think that has helped shaped my attitudes.

I absolutely respect those who are cautious and or who have suffered loss. Ones response to this crisis is very individual and for me the key thing is to respect each other views all have valid points.

Covid is a very devicive Issue - understandly some people are scared and some are a little more adventurous.
I’ve been in public contact through out the lock down via my job and I think that has helped shaped my attitudes.

I absolutely respect those who are cautious and or who have suffered loss. Ones response to this crisis is very individual and for me the key thing is to respect each other views all have valid points.
If only that was true generally. If we had marked out Bournemouth beaches as they have done in other countries I don't think the Bournemouth day trippers would have respected that. I could be wrong.

nobody has to rush out anywhere. it's not compulsory. IMO the virus is here to stay until a vaccine is sorted so it's going to have to be down to choice before the economy dies completely. most people are respecting the rules still from what i see despite pics of idiots at the beach.

The reason I have been vocal is because I have been concerned innocent folk, complying to the rules, could inadvertently be infected.

And now it’s happened.
My best friend.

Monday - coughing
Tuesday - ok
Wednesday - ok
Overnight Weds/ Thursday - violently sick and diorrhea, fever starting, shivering and cold

Shopping by permit (1 person from the household) once in 6 days. Curfew from 8pm to 6am. Face masks mandatory. Etc.

So if my best friend can be infected, then this could easily occur in the UK where I feel many are not adhering to much less stringent guidelines.
Seems loss of smell and taste are now being given as indicators of the virus. Also reported as taking a long time to come back.

Hope that your friend has a quick recovery.

People seem to make decisions regarding accepting their personal risk but seem to completely forget the risk they are creating for others. I have worked in the NHS for nearly 15 years and in the last 2 months I have sent condolences to the families of 4 current and former colleagues due to Covid-19.

Last edited:
Seems loss of smell and taste are now being given as indicators of the virus. Also reported as taking a long time to come back.

Hope that your friend has a quick recovery.
Thank you. He says the fever has gone and his taste is back again today. So symptoms seem very like Covid but not severe.

Showing signs of improvement after all that ? He’s a strong old fella @Borris , wishing him a full recovery

And now it’s happened.
My best friend.

Monday - coughing
Tuesday - ok
Wednesday - ok

Sorry to hear about your friend, hope it’s not Covid but we suspect it may well be given our symptoms.

We both had a nasty severe bout that lasted a full 3 weeks, we are still not fully recovered in term so stamina & tire very easily. We have been observing lockdown stringently, shopping one a week and walking the dogs away from anyone else.

A 86 year Aunt who has multiple heart issues, had not been out of her home from early March, pre lockdown, until being admitted to hospital on May 14. She returned home on the 22nd was readmitted again on the 26 May and is still in hospital. On June 1st she was tested and showed positive, is still positive today. So she has contracted Covid either from within the hospital or ambulance, or from ambulance or hospital staff.
Our point being you can do absolutely everything to try and protect yourself but really it’s a lottery as to whether you get it.

Very sorry to hear about your father Borris, we wish him well. A fractured hip at his age is difficult enough to cope with without the addition of Covid.

We have a similar situation with an 86 year old aunt, been isolating pre lockdown, negative on admission to hospital, tested positive soon after.

Very sorry to hear about your father Borris, we wish him well. A fractured hip at his age is difficult enough to cope with without the addition of Covid.

We have a similar situation with an 86 year old aunt, been isolating pre lockdown, negative on admission to hospital, tested positive soon after.
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope she is now on the road to recovery.

In practice it must be extremely difficult controlling the spread of the virus within the Health Service environment. You can put into place all sorts of systems and control measures but maintaining 100% compliance 100% of the time by 100% of the staff across 100% of the dailly traffic has to be nigh on impossible.

Back