Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LHD Cali purchase in UK

D

Dombo

Hello,

I am looking to buy a new California beach in UK. As i am Swiss native I would like to purchase a LHD California in the UK for the next 2 years I am going to stay. Then i will move back to Switzerland, therefore i want a LHD. Could anyone advise me how to get one? VW garage cannot import one for me as VW doesn't tolerate it. Some importer offered me this service, importing it from Poland, but I am a bit nervous given the invested amount, I would like to have full guarantee coverage.
How easy is it to import it myself from Germany?
Does anyone has some experience/contact to share please?

thanks a lot for your help,
Dom

Hi,

I too tried to purchase a LHD California from the UK but as you rightly say its not possible from a VW dealer.
I went to a german dealer in Berlin and purchased a 1 year old California Beach.
Its easy to get them re-registered and if you buy from directly from a VW dealer in germany its pretty risk free.
Check out tradeport.de its VW own search motor to get an idea on prices and specs available. For the EU it needs to be 6 months old and with 6000km on the clock to be classed as second hand and therefore making it easier as you dont have to pay/reclaim VAT.

//Mart

LHD is a better vehicle in my opinion but not always practical for everyone in the UK

James

i have had 67 split bus lhd . t4 westie calie lhd. my t5 calie lhd .had 2 new beetles lhd .now have a 72 beetle cabrio lhd
don't find any probs only taking tickets out of uk camp site barriers. :thumb . :bananadance

T5WOB said:
i have had 67 split bus lhd . t4 westie calie lhd. my t5 calie lhd .had 2 new beetles lhd .now have a 72 beetle cabrio lhd
don't find any probs only taking tickets out of uk camp site barriers. :thumb . :bananadance

I had no prob with my leftie T25 - bit of drift at first lol.

I just think the LHD Cali is a nicer vehicle - and how it is intended to be :)

Your's is particularly nice Martin :)

James said:
I had no prob with my leftie T25 - bit of drift at first lol.

I just think the LHD Cali is a nicer vehicle - and how it is intended to be :)

Your's is particularly nice Martin :)

Thanks James,

If you do buy secondhand one from VW in Germany the best thing is the specs available on the German California's . In my opinion when you are buying new it's really hard to justify all of the extras. Ours is fully loaded and had the original plastic on the mattress plus the labels on the zips still attached.
So my advice is www.tradeport.de

Dirk from vw wildau in Berlin is the guy I dealt with.

//Martin

Back