Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lift kit / Shock Absorber / Springs / Spring Distancer

Wallace

Wallace

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi All

I've been trying to wrap my head around how to lift my van (California T6) a bit to give it a bit more of a swamper look and initially went the way I've seen a lot of people going (getting a delta 4x4 35 mm lift kit). However, when talking to a workshop, they instead said I would get the same results if I simply installed a spring distancer.

Now, following this rabbit hole got me extremely confused about why some lift kits present shock absorbers in them (like the delta 4x4) while others only have springs and distancers (like the Eibach 35mm kit) and now I got presented with the option of a spring distancer alone.

In short, my question is: will just adding spring distancers make me happy? For those who already went through lifting their vans, how does the car feel depending on your chosen solution?

Thank you a lot for any light you might shed on this =)

Wallace

Suspension range, from max height to max low, is restricted by the shock absorber length.
merely fitting a spring spacer will reduce the the ability for a wheel to drop into a rut or pothole.
There is a possibility that a wheel will hang in mid air, not wanted with the drive axle.
In other words the shock absorber shaft will be operating 30mm above the normal centre point.

In other that serious off road use I'd doubt that it would be an issue.

Suspension geometry is altered just as in lowering but towards positive caber which isn't usually good for open road handling.

Suspension range, from max height to max low, is restricted by the shock absorber length.
merely fitting a spring spacer will reduce the the ability for a wheel to drop into a rut or pothole.
There is a possibility that a wheel will hang in mid air, not wanted with the drive axle.
In other words the shock absorber shaft will be operating 30mm above the normal centre point.

In other that serious off road use I'd doubt that it would be an issue.

Suspension geometry is altered just as in lowering but towards positive caber which isn't usually good for open road handling.
Thank you so much for the enlightening answer. ^^

How will a spring spacer reduce travel?

The damper operating 30mm of ride height change from its usual point won’t make any difference as the damper rate is linear. As long as there is sufficient damper stroke all will be ok.

Camber/caster/toe will certainly change with a ride height change.

How will a spring spacer reduce travel?

The damper operating 30mm of ride height change from its usual point won’t make any difference as the damper rate is linear. As long as there is sufficient damper stroke all will be ok.

Camber/caster/toe will certainly change with a ride height change.
In relation to fully open/dropped to fully compressed as standard.

30mm of travel has been taken up by the spacer. Standard springs still fitted which will be compressed as normal.

You do say as long as damper stroke is sufficient - but is it? I did say that unless serious off road use is intended then shouldn't be a problem.

If you’re fitting a spacer under the spring you’re not losing any travel at all, simply raising the ride height.

If you’re fitting a spacer under the spring you’re not losing any travel at all, simply raising the ride height.
Not an expert, but are you not also raising the height of the upper attachment of the Shock absorber as well? Such that although it will have more compression travel it will have less expansion travel?

Are we talking about a collar under the top of the spring to pre-load it or a spacer between the spring mount and the chassis?

A preloaded spring will raise the ride height but bind up sooner with bump travel as it’s shorter.

A spacer will simply raise the ride height. Bump/droop travel will remain unchanged.

Spring will have less space for it to fully expand before damper rod hits its end stop.
On the front strut it has the same effect as raising the spring pan on the strut casing without changing any other part.
Travel remains as before but centre rod is pulled out by 30mm - down drop reduced - upward compression increased resulting in the same ground clearance potential as previously was the case.

You must include the fact that the original spring is being used which is now operating with a static point 30mm further up the damper operating range.

Cheap options never are a complete solution.

Link for this bit of kit?