Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lights on, Warning Buzzer not working?

Chriswoody

Chriswoody

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I recently decided to do a bit of research into a warning buzzer for leaving the headlights on, because my van didn't have this feature, or so I thought. Anyway I discovered that relay 39 was the magic relay that made it all work and I was all set to retro fit one, when imagine my surprise when I discovered I actually had one!

So the next question was, why was it not working? In a fit of laziness I acquired a new relay, only to discover that I still had no warning buzzer. So now it looks like I will really need to look through the system with a multi meter and work out were the fault is.

Both front door courtesy light switches are working and I've tried to make it work by removing the key and opening the door, with the lights on.

So if anyone has any helpful suggestions about where I could stick the multi meter, what I should do next or where to look, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Is the buzzer part of the relay or separate kit?

It's part of the relay itself. You can see it in this photo here of the inside of my old one:

My guess is that there is a bad earth somewhere, I just need to trace the wiring through. I'm just not too sure which socket does what. Here's a photo of the front of the relay with some numbers on.

Again I'm just not 100%, what the numbers refer to. I wasn't wanting to bother my auto electrician friend too much, but I'll have to badger him if I can't work it out!

Hi, I had the same problem but I found that the drivers door switch ( I think) has two connections, one for the interior light and a seperate one fir the buzzer. I replaced the switch and made a better connection on the buzzer cable and all was good ?

Worth a try checking to see if the cable and connection is ok in the switch ?

May not be the same issue but worked for me and no more flat batteries from leaving the lights on !!!

85 and 86 are pos and neg. put a 12v supply across and it should opperate.

Thanks guys, much of the stuff I've been reading about has suggested that the door switch may be at fault. I had already cleaned the contacts and I knew that the courtesy light worked when the door was open. Yesterday I remembered that I'd replaced the passenger side one a few months back and the replacement had two contacts, so I popped this into the drivers side. Still no joy. So I've managed to eliminate two possibilities.

Thanks Sidepod for that, I also found that 58L & 58R is the input from the lights. So time to finally lay my hands on a multimeter and see whats going on.

Some useful info here as well:

http://t4-wiki.de/w/index.php?title...bild_gesamt.jpg&filetimestamp=20080309080427&

I hadn't realised it was an option and the year after my van was built the buzzer changed into the instrument cluster.

We'll I finally got around to testing the circuit and came up with a result I wasn't expecting. The input from the door switch and the main lights was all fine and working like it should. The anomaly was the input from the ignition switch. Basically wether the ignition was on and key in, or switched off and key out, the readings from the multi meter never changed. This also tallied with the fact that the stereo never turns off when you switch off the ignition, which I'd always put down to a badly installed after market radio.

To check my theory, I dropped the bottom of the steering column shroud and pulled the plug out of the back of the ignition switch and lo and behold it lives! we have a wonderful buzzing noise with the lights on and the radio also refuses to work. So it's all back together for the moment and it's off to the dealers tomorrow to order a new switch. Hopefully thats that.

Good work.

Back