Lithium Jump Start Pack

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Who carries a Lithium Jump Start Pack?
What model is recommended for a California T6.1?

Who carries a Lithium Jump Start Pack?
What model is recommended for a California T6.1?
I have a Yaber 1200amp 15000mah waterproof unit. Never needed it for the Cali, but used in anger on 2.2 diesel Merc and 2.2 diesel Jeeps that were both dead as a dodo And was staggered on each occasion that they both started and left 75% ( 3 of 4 lights) charge afterwards. Keeps good charge too. Bring it in as and when I remember (probably once a 6 month) to top up back to 100%. Also has usb and cigarette 12v outputs. Peace of mind for me for having it onboard. Bought from Amazon, but just looked and no longer listed. Plenty of alternatives out there though.

I have one by Energizer. They do still seem to be available, I certainly found some listed with Ebay sellers just now.
They do different capacities. 7500mah is meant to start a 2l diesel or 3l petrol engine, but I went for the 9000mah version that claims to be good for 3l diesel or 4l petrol, to have a bit of contingency. I've not needed to use it on my T6.0 but I have started a 1.6l diesel car from absolutely flat several times, no problem at all. The lithium power pack seems to hold its charge very well too, so I'm confident to keep it in the van cupboard for weeks/months at a time.

Remember to check charge level periodically or like in my case it won't have enough charge to do its job when needed.
Been 100% charge everytime when checked since!

This is mine by Energizer. I've had it a while now and while I have never used it on the Cali, it has happily started a 3 litre Ford V6 petrol and 2.7 litre Merc diesel amongst quite a few that I have helped, along with my Skoda 1.9 diesel. When I researched these, although I bought an Energizer because of the name, I concluded that, as they are all made in China, less expensive makes would probably function just as well. Note the charge date reminder.
As my Cali is start/stop, I have always been a little concerned about how to use the jump starter with it if I had to.
P1070275.JPG

This is mine by Energizer. I've had it a while now and while I have never used it on the Cali, it has happily started a 3 litre Ford V6 petrol and 2.7 litre Merc diesel amongst quite a few that I have helped, along with my Skoda 1.9 diesel. When I researched these, although I bought an Energizer because of the name, I concluded that, as they are all made in China, less expensive makes would probably function just as well. Note the charge date reminder.
As my Cali is start/stop, I have always been a little concerned about how to use the jump starter with it if I had to.
View attachment 87956
Red to Red on Engine Battery. Black to Earth point on engine, chassis or to Black Lead connection on Battery Monitor that is connected directly to the Black -tve pole of the Engine battery.

Yes that is a good idea, a set of good jump leads can he very helpful if you find someone that wants to help. But some breakdown services could take long and spoils your plan for the day.
stranded in Leicester with a broken clutch in the rain 2 degrees for almost 3 hours is not fun.

Is it not possible (or not a good idea) to jump from the leisure batteries? Most jump cables would reach from under the passenger seat to the engine bay.

Yes I carry one, rated for the van battery/crank requirements, never had to use on mine in anger, but have used on a couple of smaller cars successfully

It also has USB out so has secondary use as a power bank for camping friends with no phone charger other than their car, who might flatten their car battery charging gadgets :D

What I have done in the past is always start the vehicles battery, whether with a power pack or jump lead from another car and drive it for a while in hope that the alternator charges the engine and leisure ones also.

We carry one of these. Not needed it for the van yet, but have helped a few other motorists.

No need to carry jump leads anymore, this is far more compact & avoids the need for a donor vehicle.

93658DC4-80A8-49D7-86E4-EA4AA50FF4F0.jpeg

NOCO Boost X GBX55 1750A

Had the GB40 but had issues with it starting a 3L Diesel that it was meant to be able to start. After speaking to recovery guy (who carried a larger NOCO model) he told me to always overshoot what you need, so I ended up with the above. It charges very quickly via USBC if you have a high rated/60W charger (e.g Macbook charger). Will likely not ever need to use it, more of a 'just in case' if stuck somewhere in the cold and night and the battery goes flat.

Does anybody have a photo(s) of a suitable convenient earth point or cable to attach black to? Regards

NOCO Boost X GBX55 1750A

Had the GB40 but had issues with it starting a 3L Diesel that it was meant to be able to start. After speaking to recovery guy (who carried a larger NOCO model) he told me to always overshoot what you need, so I ended up with the above. It charges very quickly via USBC if you have a high rated/60W charger (e.g Macbook charger). Will likely not ever need to use it, more of a 'just in case' if stuck somewhere in the cold and night and the battery goes flat.
Just ordered the Noco GBX55, not cheap, hopefully never need, but good to have in the van for piece of mind.