Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lithium leisure batteries

Eye watering price!
Really can't see the advantage gained is worth the premium.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both when considering Lithium-Ion batteries vs AGM. In this example the increase from 75Ah to 100Ah combined with the greater useable capacity (approx 80% vs 50%) could more than double your useable capacity.
For the AGM
12V x 75Ah x2 (batteries in an Ocean) = 1.8kwh
50% useable so approx 0.9kwh

For the Li-I
12v x 100Ah x 2 = 2.4kwh
80% useable so approx 1.9kwh

(I’m happy to be corrected if my assumptions or maths is wrong)

It is probably simpler, cheaper and arguably more effective to add solar power rather than changing from AGM to Lithium-Ion batteries.

Came across this https://www.calisolar.ch/produkte-für-vw/zubehör/calilithiumbattery/

Bonkers price, but from Switzerland so not a surprise. But has anyone researched switching to lithium from usual lead batteries?
All you need to know.

Lead Acid batteries, both wet and dry (AGM stands for absorbed glass fibre mat which has the electrolyte of sulphuric acid soaked into it and therefore is spill proof) are charged with a constant voltage charger. Starting at 14volts DC dropping to 13volts DC for the trickle stage. Off charge the battery sits at just over 12volts DC. The current supplied during charge will start high (up to 42amps DC for the engine battery) and drop over the charge period.

Lithium Ion batteries need a different charging system of a constant current charge but the charging voltage will vary.

So as far as I can see you would need to change the engine battery too, as well as the EHU charger and the engine charging system.

Unless these Li-Ion batteries have some form of electronic charging adaptor built into them, I can’t see how you can do a straight swap.

You could disconnect the split charge system and just change the EHU charger but is it worth the hassle and cost involved?
Alan

So as far as I can see you would need to change the engine battery too, as well as the EHU charger and the engine charging system.

You would have to change the hook up charger.
The standard relay to connect engine and leisure batteries would need to be removed to be replaced with a DC:DC charger (many people do this anyway so that the leisure batteries get charged faster and to full)

You would have to change the hook up charger.
The standard relay to connect engine and leisure batteries would need to be removed to be replaced with a DC:DC charger (many people do this anyway so that the leisure batteries get charged faster and to full)
Older non-Blue Motion vans do not have an issue with the 80% charge regime so DC-DC charging is not really needed.

I do agree, a DC-DC charge system would solve the incompatibility with the engine battery for Blue Motion vehicles. However, changing to Lithium Phosphate batteries still remains a number of changes and cost for what amounts a small reduction in weight.

Simply plugging in your EHU once a month for a minimum of 24 hrs is a much cheaper option.

Alan

Back