Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Little door

B

Big Blue

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I just noticed next to the rear bench drawer, nearest the fridge, a little fold out flap the same height as the drawer.

It seems to be hinged at the bottom and opens about an inch or so out at the top. It seems purposeful.

Does anyone have any idea what this is for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a drawer to fit that space .
Just leave the panel out so you can use the space behind.

I just noticed next to the rear bench drawer, nearest the fridge, a little fold out flap the same height as the drawer.

It seems to be hinged at the bottom and opens about an inch or so out at the top. It seems purposeful.

If you tilt it forward you should be able to slide it off... have a look at the keyed locating studs and slots. It’s to allow long loads to be slid through.

Thanks for the info. Will check it out in the light of day

Useful for load through, but as it must be the worst design cover / door I have ever come across. ( it is so awkward to remove and refit, what on earth were VW thinking), then it severely limits its usefulness as additional accessible storage space
Unless of course you extremely resourceful people have already redesigned the cover in some way???

Hahahaha
What’s the F mean?

And the nice video shows how useless it is as a door
Awkward, and badly operating whether you’ve read the manual or not
Which actually I had by the way

Useful for load through, but as it must be the worst design cover / door I have ever come across. ( it is so awkward to remove and refit, what on earth were VW thinking), then it severely limits its usefulness as additional accessible storage space
Unless of course you extremely resourceful people have already redesigned the cover in some way???
Ours, on the contrary, is really easy to get on/off.

Hahahaha
What’s the F mean?

And the nice video shows how useless it is as a door
Awkward, and badly operating whether you’ve read the manual or not
Which actually I had by the way
It stops small items intruding in the passenger compartiment, and with it detached, allows for longer items to be transported.
Maybe useless to you. Usefull for others.

It's indeed suppose to be a load through hatch , i think it even say so in the manual.
But VW had better made the drawer the full lengt of the seat.
Once the panel is out and lives in the attic of the garage we have a bag that fits exact the space .
It holds dry grocerys , tin cans,....

Just removed it and keep the levelling blocks there.
Yes certainly remove it.

We place our umbrellas, awning adjustment rod there. Means that they are always to hand when we need them (outside or in), without needing to pull everything out to get to them.

Really useful for leaving a couple of fishing rods there without restricting the kitchen doors!
whatever you store there be careful When pulling out bed or repositioning back

Alan

I must admit when we first viewed the Ocean that whole area of the drawer under the bench seat looked a bit plastic & cheap - not helped maybe by the fact that on a brand new Ocean the drawer had been damaged already - I was undecided on the whole drawer option so left it off & am going for Eurocrates or similar - hope I dont live to regret that decision but good to know others detach the fronts too.

This is what I did with mine.

This is what I did with mine.

Thanks thats novel.
Excuse my ignorance but as well as the small hatch front coming off can you take the larger part off under the bench seat or not?

It stops small items intruding in the passenger compartiment, and with it detached, allows for longer items to be transported.
Maybe useless to you. Usefull for others.
A small correction
I did not say the space is useless, but the door / cover certainly is as evidenced by the number of members that have simply consigned it to the garage. Poor design by VW.
but the space is potentially very valuable as space always is on the Cali
I will be looking again at the post on the additional drawer, looks promising if I can master the instructions, and also the simpler option of some sort of close fitting caddy box
Isn’t it great how VW managed to turn the Cali into a permanent diy project, one of the long standing appeals I suppose.

A small correction
I did not say the space is useless, but the door / cover certainly is as evidenced by the number of members that have simply consigned it to the garage. Poor design by VW.
but the space is potentially very valuable as space always is on the Cali
I will be looking again at the post on the additional drawer, looks promising if I can master the instructions, and also the simpler option of some sort of close fitting caddy box
Isn’t it great how VW managed to turn the Cali into a permanent diy project, one of the long standing appeals I suppose.
How many cars can you adjust to your own needs by simply removing a trim this easy?
This might be the strength of the California.
Mine is always in place to give it the neat look.
It is easily removed and put back in place when needed. So I think it's a good design.

We keep our Bog in a Bag in there. We have never actually used it, but if we keep it there we can access it from inside the van without using any other space.

We're on our second Cali, but I've never seen the little panel. In both vans, just an open long space next to the drawer, where we stow umbrella, walking poles, a telescopic washing line pole to prop the tailgate open if we've got bikes on the back, etc.

hi .think its for skis.

Back