Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Load capacity of the spring loaded anchor points at the ends of the seat rails

Manual says:

The fastening rings in the seat rails ::.Fig. 108 may be loaded with a maximum load rating of 250 daN

> daN: Deka Newton. Unit for load carrying capacity.

Hi Manual, and thanks,

what does this actually mean in kilos?

I get its physics, and tried to read on it. However, at the end of the day, what i am trying to work out is is it safe to tie down a weight of less than 100 kilos using all 4 anchor points....

I get that in case of accident (rapid halting) that is where Deka newtons comes in?

Yeah the manual isn't very helpful, I guess they don't include kilos to cover themselves...

What are you looking to fix to it?

I have some aftermarket fittings that slow into the rail and if you consider the rail can support a bench and additional seats with passengers they are quite highly rated. The hook rings maybe not quite so strong I dont know.

A wheelchair!

One of my kids is in a wheelchair, he is 14.

I have a certified solucion and installer for the 3 point safety belt It will go on the B column.. But am looking at tie down, hold down systems for the chair itself.

As an aside, it is really dum, since it is the chair itself that would break apart in an accident, rather than the tie down system..... but that is another subject entirely!

I think as long as you use multiple points and fixings then you spread the load out effectively reducing the force on an individual fixing point.

I too tried to work out what 250daN means but its quite hard to get from there to an actual weight, as the force will depend on braking force etc and thus vary.

exactly,

All 4 tie downs must be used. And tensors used to ensure cables are not loose.

i kind understand force, and that the speed of deceleration impacts DaN. (i think)

I understand that hitting a brick wall at 200 km an hour exerts more force than hitting it a 30.

But what does 25odaN mean in killos of cargo for road safety. ... hard that one.

Seems a dekanewton is pretty close to 1kg of force... kg force is the force exerted by one kilogram of mass in standard Earth gravity (1g)

250 dekanewton = 254.9290532445 kilogram-force, so I assume thats 254kg force at 1g, if you brake more than 1g it would change.

Wow I think we need an expert haha

Wow I think we need an expert haha
I'm no expert, but the rails should be able hold the weight of person and a wheelchair - after all, they are designed to hold a single seat with an adult in it.

250 daN essentially means that if you used four fixings, they would hold a 1 tonne weight if your van was upside down. It will be very difficult to model the forces applied to the rails in case of an accident - even though you will know the weight of the wheelchair and child, the forces applied to the fixings will vary according to the acceleration and direction of any impact.

Hi all,

my first question as a beach owner!!

I cannot find anywhere after searching a considerable time for the load capacity (in kilos) of the spring loaded anchor points at the ends of the seat rails.

I can find the load capacity of the https://www.boesenberg.de/en/access...r-for-the-volkswagen-multivan-and-california/ hooks. 100kgs.

Help please!

If you are using them to restrain a wheelchair, the lot below make fixings specifically to fit a wheelchair to caravelle/ california rails. Looks like a properly tested bit of kit.

EXCEL ARIES
Product Code: KFP0081/K

COUNCILS, CHARITIES, NHS TRUSTS, VEHICLE CONVERTERS AND OTHER TRADE ORGANISATIONS
Please contact us on 01935 426695 for pricing

£302.40 RRP£252.00 EXCL VAT
Pack Qty: 1
excel(2).jpg
aries(2).jpg

The Koller EXCEL Aries Combined Wheelchair & Passenger Restraint is the first commercially available restraint designed specifically to fit VW T5/T6 Caravelle rail. Aries enables the Caravelle to become wheelchair friendly by simply removing or repositioning the rear passenger seats.

The EXCEL Aries Advantage:

• Crash-tested to ISO 10542
  • No vehicle modifications required - uses the rail already in the vehicle
  • Precision machined carriages provide secure anchorage in the rails
  • Quick release tie-down fittings for fast release in an emergency and security
  • TITUS passenger harness for maximum comfort and safety. As simple to use as a car seatbelt
  • Future-proof. A 3-point (upper anchorage) belt can be added to the TITUS harness
  • Colour-coded TITUS belts for easy identification
  • Covers on TITUS retractors and stalk buckle for durability and protection
  • EXCEL Compact over-centre buckle rear straps for maximum adjustability and tensioning
  • Static front straps for easy wheelchair alignment
  • Wide wheelchair tie-down webbing for strength and wheelchair stability
  • Black webbing - looks good for longer
  • Colour-coded key components for easy identification
  • Engineered for Safety
DOWNLOAD BROCHURE HERE
  • Weight: 8.00kg

Thank you Andy, this is much much appreciated.

Just a quick update.

I have bought what Andy came up with, and we are very very happy with this solution.
Just waiting on the ramp ordered on amazon now ....

Just a quick update.

I have bought what Andy came up with, and we are very very happy with this solution.
Just waiting on the ramp ordered on amazon now ....

Hi @OddDog, I'm really interested in how you are finding the Excel Aries and would be really grateful if you could post some pics, as I'm looking to do exactly the same in a Beach for my wheelchair bound uncle, except I was thinking about a rear ramp. What ramp did you go for in the end.

The problem is the rate of deceleration is time based which is called an impulse so its there for a short period and a function of mass , velocity and time.

Please note these numbers especially the time ( the critical one and hence why we have crumple zones) are just a guess to show the math.

An approximation would be

p=mv (p is impulse)

t = the time the impact lasts so let say 0.2 sec

Since final momentum is zero we can approximate to

p = F

F =mv/ delta t where m =100kg and v = 18m/s (40mph)

F = (100 x 18) / 0.2

F= 9000 N = 900 DaN

This is distributed to 4 points so F = 900 /4 = 225 DaN to each point

Logic would say the loads from the wheel chair will be less than the current rear seat imposes so wil be ok. Just need to consider if the orginal seat load combines with the 100kg load , I assume not.

I would however go for the fully engineered and tested solution from excel above.

Hi, just a quick 2 year update!

We are very happy with this system.
One of my kids is wheelchair bound, and we have found this tie down system to be excellent.

Oh, another point.

The biggest danger in pretty much all wheel chair hold down / tie down systems, is the fact that wheel chairs are not designed for this function. In a crash, it is the wheel chair that will break up, rather than the tie downs fail.

Just have a look at the solder lines, cheap aluminum pipes, not of which are required to be tested in a crash simulation.