Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lockdown California Beach Kitchen Pod Project

Silver5urfer

Silver5urfer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I’ve been meaning to build a kitchen pod for my beach which can be used on the boot slide out, or inside the van, or in my vango keela awning, or indeed just outside in the sunshine. I’ve had the bits for about 18 months but just haven’t found time to do it. I suppose it’s a bit of a cheap imitation Slidepod, but is more flexible than a slidepod and includes a space for a fridge, however, there is no posh sink and tap. 3978F9A1-F64E-4B1E-8E84-9CC7DA2A9ABC.jpegFEE60C84-ABE6-4A8C-8407-B767952B0793.jpegCC58D195-F4AB-49C5-8B8C-C5EF314D48E9.jpeg60DFCB2F-1549-4002-982D-00AD38A01209.jpegE639845C-D428-44AA-8568-3BEAF43250D9.jpeg77FD09E9-D0BD-45EB-AA78-D187CF58EC88.jpegE49C12E5-DD8D-4160-851F-ADF9FEC9D5DD.jpegAC8972D9-FF62-4937-BE43-EF6B2D261A53.jpegE9A5A2D7-2B37-4917-85B2-9F854BFE081B.jpeg27A13CD5-66DD-454D-8BAF-B525D2E34B48.jpeg

Wow. Just wow. Seriously amazing! I love the fact that you can use it on the slide out, but also in any other location you choose. It looks rather professionally build as well and I assume it's relatively light weight because you use the food crate. Nice! If we owned a beach I would steal the design.

That's one if the best set ups I've seen to date. I love the way you have adapted those Euro boxes. Everything looks extremely neat and professionally executed. I have a similar arrangement but without the adapted boxes.

20181123_134511.jpg

Hmm, food for thought. :thumb

That's fantastic! What is in the bottom box?

Hello Silver5urfer,
I've studied your photos with interest and am very impressed with the quality of your handiwork. I'm curious, how did you do the edging on the tops, fold out surface and especially the fold down door? Very neat indeed. :thumb

That does look great, really nice design as well as build and perfect with the mini hob unit.

That's one if the best set ups I've seen to date. I love the way you have adapted those Euro boxes. Everything looks extremely neat and professionally executed. I have a similar arrangement but without the adapted boxes.

View attachment 57749

Hmm, food for thought. :thumb
I copied your lead for the Euro boxes, good quality and big range of sizes.

Hello Silver5urfer,
I've studied your photos with interest and am very impressed with the quality of your handiwork. I'm curious, how did you do the edging on the tops, fold out surface and especially the fold down door? Very neat indeed. :thumb
Got my furniture board and bits from Clearcut Conversions, they also have some really helpful How To guides that you can download from their website. The knock on edging for the door was quite tricky.
The idea of using the euro boxes rather than make the box out of plywood from scratch was that they would be lighter, stronger and more water resistant if used on wet grass etc. However, cutting out the door opening using a Stanley knife was hard work. The fold out shelf was an idea I picked up looking at bigger motorhome at the NEC show, got the brackets on amazon, probably a lot heavier duty brackets than I needed but couldn’t find any lighter ones I liked.
The knock on edging requires a 2mm router slot cutter, and the curved corners need routing using a template, not that difficult, but you need the tools.

Nice job, well done.

Got my furniture board and bits from Clearcut Conversions, they also have some really helpful How To guides that you can download from their website. The knock on edging for the door was quite tricky.
The idea of using the euro boxes rather than make the box out of plywood from scratch was that they would be lighter, stronger and more water resistant if used on wet grass etc. However, cutting out the door opening using a Stanley knife was hard work. The fold out shelf was an idea I picked up looking at bigger motorhome at the NEC show, got the brackets on amazon, probably a lot heavier duty brackets than I needed but couldn’t find any lighter ones I liked.
The knock on edging requires a 2mm router slot cutter, and the curved corners need routing using a template, not that difficult, but you need the tools.
Using the Euro boxes as the starting point was inspired. I think they are great for the reasons you have mentioned. As you have so brilliantly shown, being portable enables you to set up kitchen anywhere or remove it easily to store elsewhere when not required.
I will check out the videos and give it some more thought. I have all the necessary tools including a router and various cutting heads if I decide to follow your lead. However, at present we use a single burner stove which we have found to be perfectly adequate for most occasions so I suspect we will end up carrying on with our current set up.

There have been some brilliant set ups posted on this forum and yours is amazing. For me at least, the ability for an owner to use every cubic inch of the Beach just how they want to without having to work around permanent fixed features is it's major strength. It's such a versatile vehicle that lends itself to imaginative designs like yours.
:thumb

Are they 60x40 size eurocrates?

Absolutely superb, would love something like that for my Caravelle. Oops, now the cats out of the bag i'll probably be struck off for not having a Cali! There are some truly brilliant innovations on this site that can be applied across a whole host of VW's finest. :thumb

That triple opportunity to use in the boot, as a side kitchen and outside / awning (plus of course to completely remove) is very clever and will (should) have Slidepod doing some head scratching.
Almost makes me want a Beach over my SE!

If you perfected your design with lighter hinges etc (even if you didn't) you, or the club shop would do well selling that set up.

Great design, something that would suit my needs greatly. If you dont mind me asking how much do you think it cost you to build?

Great design, something that would suit my needs greatly. If you dont mind me asking how much do you think it cost you to build?
Hi Marty, I’ve been picking up bits and pieces for over a year, and have only just got around to building it. Consequently I can’t tell you an exact figure, but at a guess I’d say about £350 for the whole completed kitchen pod boxes. The hob was £170 on its own. The slideout was about £500 as was the fridge. It is surprising how it all adds up. Some people reckon that the ready built Slidepods are expensive, but I reckon that are good value if that’s the boot kitchen system you want, it just didn’t quite fit what I wanted which was more flexibility and to include a fridge.

Hi Marty, I’ve been picking up bits and pieces for over a year, and have only just got around to building it. Consequently I can’t tell you an exact figure, but at a guess I’d say about £350 for the whole completed kitchen pod boxes. The hob was £170 on its own. The slideout was about £500 as was the fridge. It is surprising how it all adds up. Some people reckon that the ready built Slidepods are expensive, but I reckon that are good value if that’s the boot kitchen system you want, it just didn’t quite fit what I wanted which was more flexibility and to include a fridge.
Perfect thanks. Yeah I've already got the fridge and have a couple of euro boxes after seeing @Borris setup. I have been trying to decide between a slidepod and slide out tray with diy cooking pod. I think this may have made my mind up!