Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locked Out on Site

I'm a bit obsessed with not leaving my keys lying around, so always have them in my pocket or else stuffed somewhere in my clothing! Paranoid about locking myself out of van or house.

I'm a bit obsessed with not leaving my keys lying around, so always have them in my pocket or else stuffed somewhere in my clothing! Paranoid about locking myself out of van or house.
Me too now!

I have four keys, three securely stored in the house - but since the van locked me out and my house keys were in the van....... Incidentally a lot of my clothes don’t have pockets to put keys in, and when it’s raining didn’t want to put them down on the ground.
These days the keys stay hanging on a lanyard around my neck if I'm anywhere near the van.

My wifes paranoid about the keys after meeting a Cali owner in Spain who had to cut a side window mesh in the roof bellows to get back in after closing the door and the van locked with keys inside.

A simple change with OBDeleven, Carista or VAGCom will disable the self relocking. I've done this as when getting the dogs in or out, Mrs S was prone to put the keys down anywhere.
Two sets are great when on holiday, but had to remind Mrs S that she should carry the second set with her, not leave them in the van in "a safe place..." :headbang

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem on a T6. If I open the sliding door gently from the inside when it is locked then the lock button only half-disengages. This means that if I then re-close the door from the outside it locks itself and cannot be opened from the outside. If I open firmly from the inside then the lock button disengages properly and the door does not re-lock when closed.

I have managed to lock myself out on a couple of occasions when going to the toilet at night as I open the door gently so as to not disturb other campers. Fortunately on both occasions Mrs DM was in the van (although she can take some waking :Nailbiting. But I am paranoid that if I am on my own I will end up locked out.

My van is 4 1/2 years old and I have a 5 year warranty so my thinking is that they should resolve this under warranty - which will probably mean replacing the entire locking mechanism. But they may just claim that I need to open it more assertively.

Has anyone else come across this and has it been addressed as a warranty issue?

Thanks.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem on a T6. If I open the sliding door gently from the inside when it is locked then the lock button only half-disengages. This means that if I then re-close the door from the outside it locks itself and cannot be opened from the outside. If I open firmly from the inside then the lock button disengages properly and the door does not re-lock when closed.

I have managed to lock myself out on a couple of occasions when going to the toilet at night as I open the door gently so as to not disturb other campers. Fortunately on both occasions Mrs DM was in the van (although she can take some waking :Nailbiting. But I am paranoid that if I am on my own I will end up locked out.

My van is 4 1/2 years old and I have a 5 year warranty so my thinking is that they should resolve this under warranty - which will probably mean replacing the entire locking mechanism. But they may just claim that I need to open it more assertively.

Has anyone else come across this and has it been addressed as a warranty issue?

Thanks.
I have now found threads about this. But not an answer to the question as to whether VW will address it as a warranty issue.

A simple change with OBDeleven, Carista or VAGCom will disable the self relocking. I've done this as when getting the dogs in or out, Mrs S was prone to put the keys down anywhere.
Two sets are great when on holiday, but had to remind Mrs S that she should carry the second set with her, not leave them in the van in "a safe place..." :headbang
I've got a really bad memory for where I leave things, so when I'm out and about I have to be really mindful and disciplined. I keep my keys threaded on to a long shoe lace (all the time). When I'm in my walking trousers they attach to a front belt loop and go in a pocket, if I don't have that type of trousers on they attach to my bag or go round my neck. Times when I'm doing tai chi, I attach them to a bum bag/money belt type thing and slip them in it with my ipod. At night I keep them attached to my trousers so if I leave the van they go with me or I detach them and put them round my neck. If I want them up top where I'm sleeping the trousers come up too. It's so intuitive now I can be confident I have them to hand. Doesn't stop me losing them at home though, when we're not away!

I have just been out with house keys on lanyard in one pocket, van keys on another lanyard (with a clip to take the key off to drive) in other pocket and phone on a lanyard in my handbag in case I need to take it out and wrap the lanyard around my wrist. Sometimes on belt loop and in back pocket.
I try to only buy clothes with belt hocks and pockets . Have dropped phone so often that that is now secured .
Once put down car key in car and took 30mins to find it as it slipped in gap in seat. One bitten twice shy or just paranoid.