Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locking vehicle with spare key

t6.1

t6.1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all, I've read about people locking themselves out, so have been very cautious thus far.

Over night and this morning it was particularly frosty, so I thought I'd put on the heater, heated windscreen and mirrors.

I put one key in the ignition, then went to lock with the another remote key fob, but, it didn't work. I then tried various methods of locking from the inside using the fob, internal locks, going out the passenger, driver, side door. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to lock!

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here please?

Hi all, I've read about people locking themselves out, so have been very cautious thus far.

Over night and this morning it was particularly frosty, so I thought I'd put on the heater, heated windscreen and mirrors.

I put one key in the ignition, then went to lock with the another remote key fob, but, it didn't work. I then tried various methods of locking from the inside using the fob, internal locks, going out the passenger, driver, side door. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to lock!

If the Spare key/Remote doesn’t work then it probably needs to be recoded. This would be a Warranty job, so any VW Dealership can do it with their Diagnostic System.

@t6.1 Were you trying to lock whilst the first key was still in the ignition? If so its intentional that it won't let you.
Most people use the remote to start the heater from indoors, give it 15mins before you leave & you shouldn't need the heated windscreen.

Last edited:
@WelshGas the other key does work, this is the interesting thing :)

@andyinluton I was indeed! I used to do this with another car. Turn the ignition on, get the car warm, whilst I lock with a 2nd key, then go back in the house and make a brew :) Ahhh, so it's intentional, I was wondering if this was the case, guess I'll have to stay with the van then.

Don't you have the remote fob for the Auxiliary heater?

@andyinluton I was indeed! I used to do this with another car. Turn the ignition on, get the car warm, whilst I lock with a 2nd key, then go back in the house and make a brew :) Ahhh, so it's intentional, I was wondering if this was the case, guess I'll have to stay with the van then.
Why don't you just put the Parking heater on using the remote.from the house.
Vehicle warm, ALL windows defrosted in one go.

Slight derail, sorry - I take it the parking heater just heats the air but doesn't preheat the engine coolant like the Webasto on my T5? Looking at the standard equipment for my 150 Ocean on order, can't see an engine preheater - not that I need it but handy to know.

Slight derail, sorry - I take it the parking heater just heats the air but doesn't preheat the engine coolant like the Webasto on my T5? Looking at the standard equipment for my 150 Ocean on order, can't see an engine preheater - not that I need it but handy to know.
There is a coolant heater as well but it doesn't have a separate control. Fires up when air is below 5degrees when engine is started.

Thanks Andy. My T5 has the one with the oval timer on the dash so you can set it to come on before you leave. I have used it on occasion but my van is parked far from the house so it's not as handy as it should be.

Thanks all!

@Loz @WelshGas I do have the remote heater key, but in this case the front windscreen and side mirrors were particularly frosted over so I wanted those on as well. Next time though I'll give that a try and see if it clears them as well :thumb

I assume you want to lock it with a second key(fob) to prevent it get it stolen, while you are inside in the house.
That would make it a 1 second job to break a window , open door and drive away. And your insurance won't pay you either as you are missing a key.

Thanks all!

@Loz @WelshGas I do have the remote heater key, but in this case the front windscreen and side mirrors were particularly frosted over so I wanted those on as well. Next time though I'll give that a try and see if it clears them as well :thumb
It won’t clear the mirrors, but that’s a 10 second job once you start up.

@Calimili indeed this is what I was thinking, and a very good point, I think I'm going to stick to heater fob and properly locked :thumb

Thanks everyone, heater fob it is ;)

Back