Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locking Wheel Bolts - are they more hassle than they are worth?

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Nightmare scenario on Friday driving to Cornwall. I got a flat tyre but when I went to change the wheel I discovered that the locking wheel bolt adapter had failed. Half of the 'key' in the adapter had sheared off so the adapter would not engage effectively on the bolt.

Fortunately Green Flag were able to able to dispatch a technician from Highfield garage near Okehampton who was able to remove the locking wheel bolt, change the wheel and even throw in a standard replacement bolt for free. No complaints there.

But I didn't want to risk getting caught out again on the way home so contacted the local VW dealer at Indian Queens to find out whether they could supply a replacement adapter or at least remove the other locking bolts. The service there was less impressive. They couldn't tell me whether replacements are available and wouldn't even 'take a look' until 5 days later. MJB Tyres in Hayles came to the rescue whipping the other nuts off in no time for a very reasonable charge (£25).

Its a sad reflection of VW that the two independent garages I dealt with provided a way better service than the main dealer.

But that's not the point of this post. I really wanted to ask whether others think that locking wheel bolts are worth the hassle. Both the roadside technician and the tyre depot reckoned that they're not worth the bother any more. Neither of them could recall an incident where someone had had a vehicle jacked up to nick alloy wheels and thought it highly unlikely unless the wheels were very top spec. And both said they regularly have to remove locking nuts / bolts (usually because the adapter is lost rather than damaged). I have the standard factory fit 17 alloys so should I bother to get a new set of locking bolts or not?

Last edited:
I tend to use mine selectively if its going to be in an unsavoury location I put them on, but generally, I just have the standard bolts on.

Reactions: DM
We have them fitted but probably not necessary these days.

Most cars / vans already come with alloys as standard now so demand is low, unless of course you have a special set. The days of seeing cars with axles resting on bricks are behind us.

+ It's difficult to get cash for scrap metal now as you need license, ID etc, so the thief would have to store them & resell on ebay etc so would draw attention to his/herself if they are doing it on a regular basis. Probably more likely to have a steel spare stolen then a set of alloys.

The types that will steal your wheels are likely to drive a van themselves.....quick and easy swap of wheels and tyres.

Consider buying a different independent brand of locking wheel nuts. And when you fit them make sure that your keep a record of the key reference...this way you'll be able to get replacements.

If you have the black plastic nut covers, no-one will know if you have locking bolts on or not.
The cover over the locking bolt is a larger diameter than the others, though I doubt that a casual observer would notice.

Yes!
As in they are more trouble than they are worth and no, don’t bother replacing..

Last edited:
The cover over the locking bolt is a larger diameter than the others, though I doubt that a casual observer would notice.
Not on mine. Either the the old covers that were on my T5.1 16" alloys or the ones on the current T6.1

If you use locking nuts, make sure they are less tight than the others so will come off easily. Much of the trouble is caused by monkeys with air guns.

• Agree
Not on mine. Either the the old covers that were on my T5.1 16" alloys or the ones on the current T6.1
Is that the difference between genuine VW and the colourful sales platform? The locking covers on mine are cylindrical at the base with a hexagon at the outer end, whereas the non lockers are hexagonal shape throughout, so they wouldn't interchange.

If you have the black plastic nut covers, no-one will know if you have locking bolts on or not.
My factory fit alloys have a mini hub cap type cover over the bolts so that would have to be taken off before the low-life know whether here are lockers on it or not.

I ditched the locking wheel bolts, had an issue with one when my Cali was less than a year old, so they went in the bin promptly after that.

Personally, have never had a problem and wheels are off at least annually.

If you use locking nuts, make sure they are less tight than the others so will come off easily. Much of the trouble is caused by monkeys with air guns.
If I know I'm going to the tyre shop I remove the locking nuts and replace with the originals. I've had expensive forged wheels damaged due to larger diameter 'lock' socket when used with air guns.

So 4 pout of 5 nuts are a different torque to the last one? Brilliant.

The wheel won’t fall off and better than shearing the locking bolt. Do you think everyone who changes their own winter / summer wheels twice a year uses a torque wrench?

The wheel won’t fall off and better than shearing the locking bolt. Do you think everyone who changes their own winter / summer wheels twice a year uses a torque wrench?
The wheel might fall off. They should use a torque wrench, even if they don’t. It’s a step up from guessing and hoping for the best.

They should, I do.
A suitable torque wrench is only £30 so no excuse really.

They should, I do.
A suitable torque wrench is only £30 so no excuse really.
Haven't we been here before?

Nightmare scenario on Friday driving to Cornwall. I got a flat tyre but when I went to change the wheel I discovered that the locking wheel bolt adapter had failed. Half of the 'key' in the adapter had sheared off so the adapter would not engage effectively on the bolt.

Fortunately Green Flag were able to able to dispatch a technician from Highfield garage near Okehampton who was able to remove the locking wheel bolt, change the wheel and even throw in a standard replacement bolt for free. No complaints there.

But I didn't want to risk getting caught out again on the way home so contacted the local VW dealer at Indian Queens to find out whether they could supply a replacement adapter or at least remove the other locking bolts. The service there was less impressive. They couldn't tell me whether replacements are available and wouldn't even 'take a look' until 5 days later. MJB Tyres in Hayles came to the rescue whipping the other nuts off in no time for a very reasonable charge (£25).

Its a sad reflection of VW that the two independent garages I dealt with provided a way better service than the main dealer.

But that's not the point of this post. I really wanted to ask whether others think that locking wheel bolts are worth the hassle. Both the roadside technician and the tyre depot reckoned that they're not worth the bother any more. Neither of them could recall an incident where someone had had a vehicle jacked up to nick alloy wheels and thought it highly unlikely unless the wheels were very top spec. And both said they regularly have to remove locking nuts / bolts (usually because the adapter is lost rather than damaged). I have the standard factory fit 17 alloys so should I bother to get a new set of locking bolts or not?
This is a good heads up to all owners. I have just checked that I can undo all the lock nuts on my alloys wheels and also applied a small amount of copper grease onto the mating surface of the bolt (not the thread as this promotes over over-tightening). I also now keep the adaptor in the glove box so I, or a garage, can locate it easily.

... But that's not the point of this post. I really wanted to ask whether others think that locking wheel bolts are worth the hassle. Both the roadside technician and the tyre depot reckoned that they're not worth the bother any more. Neither of them could recall an incident where someone had had a vehicle jacked up to nick alloy wheels and thought it highly unlikely unless the wheels were very top spec. And both said they regularly have to remove locking nuts / bolts (usually because the adapter is lost rather than damaged). I have the standard factory fit 17 alloys so should I bother to get a new set of locking bolts or not?
I'm with you on this, I suspect thefts of ordinary alloy are nowadays pretty rare. Meanwhile I wonder how many person-hours are wasted every year faffing around with broken lock-nuts, lost adapters etc etc.

As always though with any security/crime risk question, it depends on your exposure. My van is quite rarely parked overnight in higher-crime areas, that won't be the case for everyone.

haha - the main issue with T4, T5, T6 wheels is trying to get them off!
I've been there as well. A very determined AA patrol eventually got my wheel off. They all come off at least once a year to avoid that one.

I wonder whether if you made an insurance claim because your wheels and tyres were stolen, the insurance company would pay out if you had removed the 'VW standard fitment' locking wheel studs?

I wonder whether if you made an insurance claim because your wheels and tyres were stolen, the insurance company would pay out if you had removed the 'VW standard fitment' locking wheel studs?
Not much choice - since the adapter failed and VW were unable to advise whether a new one can be made available.

Back