Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loire Valley 2017

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
This summer we'd like to go and explore some of the Loire Valley, followed by a few days in Paris (the sweetener for the kids) before heading home via Calais.

We're restricted to a couple of weeks this summer, so was thinking of 2 main stops of 4 nights each in the Loire. Has anyone got any recommendations in terms of good bases/campsites/ things to see.

Thanks.

Crikey. I can't believe you've had no response to this. Whenever the weather turns like it has I relish the opportunity to think about warmer climes.

We've yet to spend much time in the Loire. Have driven up it from the coast, over to Champagne making one overnight stop in Amboise. That's a very pleasant town with an impressive Chateau overlooking the river and a museum to well know Frenchman - Leonardo Da Vinci. He was quite prolific during his time in France.

There's a campsite on an island in the river, only a short walk to the town and has loads of family friendly amenities from what I can make out on the website. We're considering a few days there in the summer before heading to the coast.

Great family campsite called Paysages de l'Etang, just outside Angers and a nice walk from a pretty village called Brissac-Quince. Great market on Tuesdays. 2 swimming pools, one indoors. Next door to large activity park. ACSI affiliated.

This summer we'd like to go and explore some of the Loire Valley, followed by a few days in Paris (the sweetener for the kids) before heading home via Calais.

We're restricted to a couple of weeks this summer, so was thinking of 2 main stops of 4 nights each in the Loire. Has anyone got any recommendations in terms of good bases/campsites/ things to see.

Thanks.

A few years ago, I cycled along the Loire from Roanne to Nantes.

One day out from Roanne we found this little gem:
http://www.domainedubourg.com/uk/index.html

Run by a Dutch family, it has everything you need for a young family. Be sure to book early for the "table d'hôte". You can even invite grandma and grandpa to join you for a few days, staying in the on-site B&B.

Another unmissable place is the hill town of Sancerre, but only for a day trip - all accommodation is hideously expensive, but the wine is excellent.

Great suggestions - thanks everyone.

I think I'm gradually forming a plan. I guess my biggest worry is that there is no seaside, and the kids may get a little bored, but I think there should be enough to interest them providing it's not chateaus (whatever the plural is!!) all the way.

Great suggestions - thanks everyone.

I think I'm gradually forming a plan. I guess my biggest worry is that there is no seaside, and the kids may get a little bored, but I think there should be enough to interest them providing it's not chateaus (whatever the plural is!!) all the way.
France got plenty of nice lakes...
Don't plan things , just go with the flow...you won't be disappointed , France is a great campercountry!
When we head off to France we usually know where we head to , but never plan how to get there...

Chateau des Marais just outside of Blois is very central to a lot of the Chateau and interesting towns. The campsite has a good restaurant, pool, takeaway and games area. Nearby are huge "hides" where you can spot deer and Boar on the local Chambord estate.

We're thinking of heading to the loire valley in September - some good ideas here.
Can anybody add any more?
Ideally some good locations for riding our bikes!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We're thinking of heading to the loire valley in September - some good ideas here.
Can anybody add any more?
Ideally some good locations for riding our bikes!

Flowers campsite in Sancerre, it’s cheap and it’s right on the Loire. I always swing by there when I’m france to stock up on their wine!

Nice one thanks I'll look it up.
Flowers campsite in Sancerre, it’s cheap and it’s right on the Loire. I always swing by there when I’m france to stock up on their wine!

A few years ago, I cycled along the Loire from Roanne to Nantes.

One day out from Roanne we found this little gem:
http://www.domainedubourg.com/uk/index.html

Run by a Dutch family, it has everything you need for a young family. Be sure to book early for the "table d'hôte". You can even invite grandma and grandpa to join you for a few days, staying in the on-site B&B.

Another vote for Domaine du Bourg. We've just stayed here and it's ace. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tips at the moment I'm thinking we'll go to Flowers camping at Sancerre, Camping Municipal de l'Ile d'Or at Amboise and Camping Les Granges at Luynes (Luynes looks really nice), but not planning on booking anything so our plans are fluid.
Will check out that last site mentioned, any other ideas gratefully received