Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

London site (outside LEZ) with easy link to city...

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi,
We're looking to visit London in August, but as our Belgian registered T4 likely falls foul of the LEZ restrictions, looking for a site outside London that is ideally near a train station (easier the access the better as we're with a pram too...). Once parked up we don't want to move the van, so the public transport access needs to be doable on foot... Don't mind to have a relatively short train journey... Any ideas? Cheers!

Hi,
We're looking to visit London in August, but as our Belgian registered T4 likely falls foul of the LEZ restrictions, looking for a site outside London that is ideally near a train station (easier the access the better as we're with a pram too...). Once parked up we don't want to move the van, so the public transport access needs to be doable on foot... Don't mind to have a relatively short train journey... Any ideas? Cheers!
Caravan & Motorhome Club Site at Crystal Palace. Not 3 Bus, stop about 100m from campsite entrance, takes you right into the centre and terminates in Regent Street.
Campsite on South side of London.

Caravan & Motorhome Club Site at Crystal Palace. Not 3 Bus, stop about 100m from campsite entrance, takes you right into the centre and terminates in Regent Street.
Campsite on South side of London.

Thanks, but seems this site is within the LEZ...

I was not aware the C&MC crystal palace site was wishin the LEZ either.

C&CC Chertsey, 15 minute walk to Chertsey station or short cab ride to weybridge station

C&MC Wyatts covert, 30 minute walk to Denham station

I was not aware the C&MC crystal palace site was wishin the LEZ either.

C&CC Chertsey, 15 minute walk to Chertsey station or short cab ride to weybridge station

C&MC Wyatts covert, 30 minute walk to Denham station

+ 1 for Wyatts Covert. NB Downhill walk to the station.

There is also a C&MC CL at Worplesdon station, 40 minutes into London, but it's expensive ... £20 per night.

LEZ, (low emission zone), not to be confused with the central London Congestion charge (and soon to be added T-charge or Toxicity charge covering the same area as the Congestion charge), covers pretty much everywhere inside the M25...

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 10.05.47.png

A colleague of mine just bought a Ford transit based motorhome of approx. yr 2005 vintage and went to visit his sister near Heathrow for one night with it. Few days later a bill of £2000 reduced to £1000 for quick payment landed on his doormat from TFL for the 2 days in the zone!!!!! He didn't even know about the zone so was not best pleased to say the least!

You could try this site just outside Lingfield in Surrey so 45min train to central London. Station is approx. 1.5 miles away so a stroll or a quick taxi.
http://www.longacrescamping.co.uk/
I haven't stayed there as too close to home but I've heard from others its very chilled.
Lovely countryside, walk to the pub with your dog across fields and a good base for other stuff in the area.
Bilbos is just up the road as well so you can take a nose at their conversions!

LEZ, (low emission zone), not to be confused with the central London Congestion charge (and soon to be added T-charge or Toxicity charge covering the same area as the Congestion charge), covers pretty much everywhere inside the M25...

View attachment 24166

A colleague of mine just bought a Ford transit based motorhome of approx. yr 2005 vintage and went to visit his sister near Heathrow for one night with it. Few days later a bill of £2000 reduced to £1000 for quick payment landed on his doormat from TFL for the 2 days in the zone!!!!! He didn't even know about the zone so was not best pleased to say the least!

You could try this site just outside Lingfield in Surrey so 45min train to central London. Station is approx. 1.5 miles away so a stroll or a quick taxi.
http://www.longacrescamping.co.uk/
I haven't stayed there as too close to home but I've heard from others its very chilled.
Lovely countryside, walk to the pub with your dog across fields and a good base for other stuff in the area.
Bilbos is just up the road as well so you can take a nose at their conversions!

£2000! Nice to see that the punishment fits the crime...
But exactly the reason I want to avoid getting caught up with all that... Thanks for the info, will check it out ;-)

Seems the LEZ charge, for a motor-caravan registered before 1st January 2002, weighing Between 2.5t GVW and 3.5t GVW.... The daily charge is £100. If registered after 1st January 2002, then no charge.

"Cars" are also not affected...... Check if your vehicle is registered as a motor-caravan or a car (like the caravelle.)

Foreign registered vehicles, are advised to register with TfL, to check if their vehicle carries a restriction, and therefore should or should not pay the LEZ charge.

Converting to auto-gas, or installing an approved filter, are also ways of mitigating the LEZ charge.

The fine, for not paying the charge, is indeed £500 per day, for a 3.5t motor-caravan, discounted to £250 if paid within 14x days. It's £1000 per day, for over 3.5t.

Last edited:
Seems the LEZ charge, for a motor-caravan registered before 1st January 2002, weighing Between 2.5 GVW and 3.5t GVW.... The daily charge is £100. If registered after 1st January 2002, then no charge.

"Cars" are also not affected...... Check if your vehicle is registered as a motor-caravan or a car (like the caravelle.)

Foreign registered vehicles, are advised to register with TfL, to check if their vehicle carries a restriction, and therefore should or should not pay the LEZ charge.

Converting to auto-gas, or installing a filter, are also ways of mitigating the LEZ charge.

Mine is from 2001 and has a DPF fitted in line with the German LEZ laws, but for sure it hasn't been 'serviced' in the last year and not sure what the process would be to go about proving that for the London LEZ laws...
Its registered in Belgium as a Motor-Caravan.
Anyway, for this one trip in August it will just be easier to avoid the LEZ than to try and get it authorised.
Cheers...