Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Long term storage and leisure batteries

I

ianevans

We typically store our 2007 California for 8 months at a time and use it for the other 4 months in the year. During that time, the leisure batteries are plugged in to 2 separate long-term maintenance battery chargers. As I understand it, they "work" the batteries by draining and charging them as if in use. As a result of the COVID 19 virus, we may be forced to leave the camper in storage for 12 months or longer, maybe even 18 months. What are you thoughts on leaving the leisure batteries plugged in for that length of time? We have also plugged the regular engine battery into a trickle charger. Should we be periodically unplugging that, or just leave it on?

Any help or advice would be appreciate! Thanks.

What do you mean by plugging the leisure batteries in separate chargers?
Do you disconnect them and put them on chargers?
Why don't you leave them in the van, charge them for a couple of hours and then just disconnect the hookup?

As for the starter battery, you can charge that one too (if your onboard charger doesn't charge it), but not together with the hookup.

But if you have always done this from 2007, and your batteries are still good enough, I see no reason why you would change that habit?

We live in Canada and use our UK based California once a year for 4 months. Rest of time it is stored in the UK. We do not disconnect the leisure batteries but attach long-term "maintenance" chargers to them. We cannot connect the hookup or drive the van as we are in Canada! These are the original batteries from 2007 and so far this has worked fine. My question is whether there is an issue leaving the maintenance chargers attached for 18 months as it may be a year until we can get back over there. Thanks!

We leave our 2015 Cali SE on hookup for 3-4months at a time.
We just rely on the inbuilt BMS to take care of things.
Our vehicle is in its 5th Year and the batteries (both leisure and starter) seem fine.

OK, thanks for all the advice. We will just rely on the "so far" reliable maintenance chargers. The engine battery is on trickle charge. Is that a problem leaving plugged in for 12 months or so?

I would probably disconnect all of the batteries if its
going to be 18 months.

I would probably disconnect all of the batteries if its
going to be 18 months.
But they will self discharge to 0% in such long time and be wasted...
The OP should continue leaving them attached to chargers.

But they will self discharge to 0% in such long time and be wasted...
The OP should continue leaving them attached to chargers.
I thought the shelf life would be longer than that.

But that's only a guess, if i was to guess how long, id say
2 years.