Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Longitudinal Roof Bars

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi, I recently bought these bars from a company called Van Tech (Midlands), they assured me they would fit my pop up roof. Ive just tried to take off the factory fitted silver longitudinal ‘runners’ and found after taking off the front and rear caps covering the access point to the roof and gouging out the filler you come to what looks like insulation, which I didn’t want to dig into. It appears there are no ‘threaded holes’ to put the bolts into which would fix the rails to the roof.
Has anyone done this previously and if yes, how do I remove the existing runners and find the hole? Sorry the other images I’ve tried to attach are too big.

09A01170-A61E-43BE-AF6B-89642BFFA620.jpeg

Is your use for these superficial or will you be loading them?

I don’t think, the integrated roof rails in the California roof are designed to come out.

If you want to carry loads, I would stick with the factory rails.

If it is a look you are going for, it might be possible to fabricate some adapter plates, that fix to the existing roof rails, and allow the longitudinal roof bars to fix to the plate.

I’ll be interested to see what you come up with.

I think I vaguely remember seeing these fitted in the factory and, if my memory serves me right, they are not designed to be removed!

I don’t think, the integrated roof rails in the California roof are designed to come out.

If you want to carry loads, I would stick with the factory rails.

If it is a look you are going for, it might be possible to fabricate some adapter plates, that fix to the existing roof rails, and allow the longitudinal roof bars to fix to the plate.

I’ll be interested to see what you come up with.
Will update as and when!

Do these roof bars increase your height? One of the joys of a Cali is that it is under 2 metre and can get into places taller vehicles can't.

I’d leave the existing rail untouched. I think you’ll find that it’s riveted to the roof, if you do manage to get it off without doing damage it’s likely to look a mess and would affect the resale value if it’s modified. Especially if it’s not functional just cosmetic .

I believe you are right ArunAlec in them being riveted and in such a way that the rivet seems to amalgamate, meld in to the material making a really strong fix. Was also told that the bars gave the roof structural integrity, remove the bars and I hate to think what happens to the roof.

I believe you are right ArunAlec in them being riveted and in such a way that the rivet seems to amalgamate, meld in to the material making a really strong fix. Was also told that the bars gave the roof structural integrity, remove the bars and I hate to think what happens to the roof.
Also if the van is still in roof corrosion warranty I suspect VW would reject any claim.

The Cali roof goes full width across the van so I don't think you will be able to fit these without a lot of work and hassle. After market conversions tend not to go full width and the bolts in the roof that these bars fit onto are still there so they could be fitted. I think that is where the confusion lies.

So the long and short of it, decided to return them to Van Tech due to the responses I’ve received, they said they would refund my £65, but I’d have to pay return postage (haven’t even looked at how much this would be!), as the product description was correct in that they would fit a pop up roof by drilling holes in it!!! If you consider buying from them be VERY careful.