Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loo before kitchen

VW Cali

VW Cali

Guest User
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
If there were say a Cali with Loo but without kitchen how many would prefer it over the Ocean/SE?

I personally do not like the idea of a loo even in my friends house sized Winnebago as the idea of carrying one around is unappealing.

But it does have its conveniences....

Just curious. The side currently used up for kitchen somehow tiny loo!

Easy now hc!
Take some deep slow breaths.

Comedy post?

Comedy post?

Was serious post....

But rightly becoming comedy! It deserved it too.

But still I would have contemplated a 3rd way! I mean I don't cook much but usually need the daily other egress!

Where is GranJen with her wisdom when it is needed most?

It was a serious question.

In Feynman's memoirs he mentions how he recommends that Freeman Dyson use the sink for number 1 instead of going downstairs. Dyson protests that it is unhygienic. But late at night Feynman witnesses Dyson walking over to the sink...

Actually Feynman left Dyson's name out but pretty obvious it was Dyson. Dyson in his memoirs only ever mentions his other conversations with RPF. Feynman diagrams, Los Alamos, and that kind of thing.

The second anecdote about sinks came 30 years ago from an Arab gentlemen in the US. Used to opulence and bidets he found the US rather suppressing. So I defended the US snd suggesged he would have the same problem even in first class transit on airlines.

His response was that he used the sink as bidet. Now not only is that seriously unhygeinic the thought of the gentleman managing this feat through sudden turbulence was disturbing.

I have never looked at an airline sink the same way since!

Now it has also put me off considering 2nd hand Oceans/SEs!

:(

Kitchen all the way, you can easily get a Popaloo and put it in a utility tent right next to your Cali. Look upon it as an ensuite.

But you can have a portable stove for cooking.

Hmmm? How about a Beach vs Ocean debate?

Ah, but I already got a Beech now!

Love the Ocean but wanted the extra seats....

This was about sonething neither Beech nor Ocean offers. A 3rd way....

Whatever the vehicle type common problems arise from the factor common to both which is the lack of room for a loo.

Now, two other factors come into play. What form of camping generally is undertaken and with whom.

I am mostly a solo traveller so I have no need to worry about the sensitivities of anyone else when getting up for that middle of the night excursion.

I also spend a lot of time either wild camping or camping in places where there are no facilities. In those circumstances on board facilities are a must.

So now it comes down to type of facility.

My first preferment was for a thetford 335. Everything contained in it's own chemically sanitised environment. However whether beach or ocean it still takes up a large chunk of space. This results from the design of the cali itself with a rear seat on rails offering the maximum of flexibility regarding type of use but limiting in that a large rear space, which in other conversions is often used for toilet facilities, is otherwise taken up.

Another disadvantage of the thetford, regardless of whether beach or ocean, is that it must be emptied, and when in constant 24 hour use that must is a fairly frequent one. If anyone has ever experienced a 3 day or more trip into the wilds then you will understand just how inconvenient that could be. I have less than fond memories of swallowing my discomfort and walking into a pub to ask if it was possible for me to use his loo's to dispose of my waste. A most unpleasant but necessary recourse.

So I now use a bog in the bag. This also has disadvantages. The first is placing one's waste into public bins. However I do that all the time for my Grandchildren, disposable nappies, what Millions of mum's use everyday.

The Second is the prohibitive cost of the bags. I use disposable nappy liners, and before anyone screams "landfill" I use the relatively expensive compostable ones, environmentally friendly and when compared to bog in bags inexpensive, and I use AllBio plant resin 25l bags as the receptacle, also environmentally friendly and also comparatively inexpensive.

A number of advantages, whether beach or ocean. The size is minimal when rolled up: The waste can be stored in other parts of the van (another, larger all bio bag with Milton spray) until convenient to dispose, disposal points (rubbish bins) are easier to find than CDP's, quick to put up and unobtrusive when down and, just like my old 335, can be used as a handy stool.

If none of these suit then I suggest two alternatives:

I: Use all facility sites and park as close to the facilities as possible (the last three days at Cirencester park I had no more than a 20 metre walk).

2: Bin the cali and get a conversion that sacrifices the convenience of a rear bench on rails for rear space that can be converted to an on-board bog. Just don't expect to have the convenience of using the cali as a removal van, tyre store or cycle transport without buying a cycle rack.

Last edited:
:headbangMAAAAAAKKKEEEEEE IT STOP

Is this a Thetford 335 being stowed away in Cali Ocean?

porta-potti-storagel.jpg

Back