?Looking for a unicorn

T

timrobinson229

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

New here so interested to know peoples thoughts

So I think we’ve decided that we would like a T6 beach for our family of 5. We want to use it as our only car and therefore have the option of sliding the seats forward and having a large boot.

Im being quite fussy with the spec and so wanted to check what people’s thoughts were. We could buy a base van and convert but I feel that perhaps it’s a safer bet to buy a California as if we wanted out in a few years then we’d lose less.

Ideally I’d like: DSG, 204 engine (though would take a 150 and remap), adaptive cruise, LEDs, Climatronic aircon, diesel heater and heated seats. We want the full width 3 bench seat version in the back to fit the kids. We will sleep in the warm van and have an air tent for living/cooking/eating etc.

The vans I’m finding seem to have basic specs- what are the odds of us finding such a high spec van? To complicate things we live in Bristol so diesel going to be banned (though we live outside the zone and we don’t need to go in). I believe they never did a petrol beach?

Hi Tim,
Forget finding a UK T6 petrol version or one with a 204ps engine. You just won't find one. The 204 engine was never a UK option. For that spec you'll have to buy abroad which unless you try Ireland, will be LHD. Still at least you can get a new Beach in mainland Europe. Unfortunately, a new Beach is no longer possible here in the UK.

Finding a nearly new UK Beach with the spec you desire isn't going to be easy. You are right, most for sale do have pretty basic spec so you'll just have to keep looking and be patient. I'm sure something will turn up. When one does it will sell in the blink of an eye so if you're interested, don't mess about, act fast. Well specced Beaches are hot property.

I've recently bought our second seven seat Beach. I had to buy new to get the spec we wanted. Sadly that's no longer an option unless the dealers still have some ex demo or pre registered stock. They are superb vehicles, especially in seven seat format so don't give up. Try phoning all the dealers you can.

Good luck.

I agree with @Borris, forget the 204 and/or petrol and/or new unless you shop overseas.

Finding the spec you want second hand is going to be a challenge. The parking heater can be retrofitted fairly easily and cheaply, so you can compromise the spec on that, I expect heated seats can be retrofitted easily also.

The 150 gives plenty of oomph and will cruise fully laden at 160 kph on the autobahn. It's an absolutely superb car, with, as you say, a cavernous boot when the seat is nudged forward to the bed location on the rails.

And another thing. You could have a 150 remapped but I would question why? As Amarillo has said, the 150 has plenty of power. I can't speak for the 204 but previously had a T5-1 SE 180 in dsg 4motion guise at the same time as owning a seven seat T6 150 manual Beach. The difference in performance between the two was negligible. Remember, the Beach is lighter.
Additionally, re-mapping would almost certainly cause issues should you need to make a warranty claim for some engine related problems. Don't go there.

Hi all,

New here so interested to know peoples thoughts

So I think we’ve decided that we would like a T6 beach for our family of 5. We want to use it as our only car and therefore have the option of sliding the seats forward and having a large boot.

Im being quite fussy with the spec and so wanted to check what people’s thoughts were. We could buy a base van and convert but I feel that perhaps it’s a safer bet to buy a California as if we wanted out in a few years then we’d lose less.

Ideally I’d like: DSG, 204 engine (though would take a 150 and remap), adaptive cruise, LEDs, Climatronic aircon, diesel heater and heated seats. We want the full width 3 bench seat version in the back to fit the kids. We will sleep in the warm van and have an air tent for living/cooking/eating etc.

The vans I’m finding seem to have basic specs- what are the odds of us finding such a high spec van? To complicate things we live in Bristol so diesel going to be banned (though we live outside the zone and we don’t need to go in). I believe they never did a petrol beach?

As above, the 204hp Beach was never available in the UK.

I’m pretty sure the Beach was available in Petrol very very briefly about 18months ago. Trying to find a Petrol Beach in the spec you want will definitely be harder than finding that Unicorn though!

What sort of age vehicle were you looking for? Nearly new?

Thanks all for the replies. I agree re: 150/204 and would certainly see how it drove before I did anything. Likely I will get a van with most of spec and then fit seats/lights if needed as these seem to be the hardest things to track down. I’m open to any age of vehicle really

Thanks all for the replies. I agree re: 150/204 and would certainly see how it drove before I did anything. Likely I will get a van with most of spec and then fit seats/lights if needed as these seem to be the hardest things to track down. I’m open to any age of vehicle really
Just be aware that it’s not currently possible to retrofit adaptive cruise control. I imagine the same goes for the air con.

I don't understand why the vast majority of beach's are such poverty spec. Dealers must have ordered job lots then expect us to buy them, without really knowing their potential buyer.
A few months back there was a very well spec'd T6 beach for sale on the forum. I was almost tempted to sell my t5 for it.

There is a cheap upgrade for the poor standard Beach lights. H4 to H7. This would be easy. The upgrade from H4/H7 to LED would be very expensive and possibly not road legal if done on the cheap. I love the LEDs on my Beach, but had I known at the time of the H4 to H7 upgrade, I would not have spec’ed the LEDs on the order.

Tim, then you should also join the t6 forum. Lots of build ideas there.

Agree with the above. Look for a 150 Beach with the 3 zone air con. That’s what we did. That generally narrows it down to the higher spec options. Lights and parking heater fairly simple upgrade later. 3 zone AC cannot be retro fitted and it is very good. I’m glad we hung out for it and paid a bit more.

Power is adequate. It’s nice to drive. Loaded or not.

We have the twin halogen H7s, I find them more than fine. Better than my golf standard lights. I’ve never had LED lights though.

We got a high spec ex demo. I compromised on the extra seats which I then bought from eBay. And on the parking heater. Which to be honest, I really wanted but haven’t found the need for it yet more than maybe once in a year of camping. I still plan to get it fitted but I’ll probably wait until my warranty is up now.

I’d email the dealers and ask what stock they have sitting about. I bet there are still some nearly new beaches parked in dealers lock-ups.

Good luck. It is an nightmare finding a beach with the right bits. I had a spreadsheet! Options ranked by importance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d hold out for the spec you want and challenge the dealers to find it for you. You’ll get far more enjoyment out of it and it’ll likely be far easier to sell on again when it’s upgrade time. Basic / commodity specs. will always suffer harder depreciation and be harder to sell simply due to the numbers of them available.

Hi Tim,
I feel your pain in finding your ideal van.
High spec beaches are hard to come by, but they are out there.
From experience, the dealers do not have a clue when it comes to advertising Cali’s and in particular beaches, their is still stock out tier at dealers, my suggestion is to look at the pictures for each vehicles and determine if the vehicles have what your looking for as the ads rarely reflect the full spec.

You could try a blanket email to lots of dealers, but I would not hold my breath, when I was looking I had about a 20% hit rate on return emails from dealers. But it can do no harm to get your details and requirements out.

As has been said before forget petrol & 204, the 150 has plenty of torque and power even when loaded to to gunnels.

Lots of things can be retrofitted at a cost - check out “Hazzy Days” in Markyate, their website shows lots of upgrades and gives prices which will help you determine additional costs should you find the near perfect van or one that has some but not all of your requirements.

Good luck.

Hope to Welcome you to the Beach Club soon :cheers

Actually might be sooner than planned... will ask for opinions once I’ve got the spec sheet

Interested in opinions please... its in metallic blue with a VW towbar fitted and an aftermarket Chinese diesel heater. Its a private sale.

Hi Tim,
That looks like a very good spec for a Beach. It has all the options that can only be factory fitted. Is it a dsg?.
I'm not sure about the after market chinese heater though. Still if it works ok then fine. Keep us posted.

Think a deal is done.

does anyone know whether the lights are slightly better than the H4s? I’m going to go full LED and heated seats on top otherwise

H7s are ok, you won’t need to upgrade unless you want to

Let’s see a photo when the deed is done.

The Beach Club is open for business!

Back