Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for alternative cooking options using EHU

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Knowing absolutely nothing about electricity, would something like this be suitable to use on EHU? Thanks

Current: 8,5A. - Connection rating: 2000W. - 1x2000W induction zone. - Voltage: 220-240V.

We have one, use it all the time on EHU, needs to be level or pans will slide off! Pans should be Induction Hob compatible. Enjoy!

Knowing absolutely nothing about electricity, would something like this be suitable to use on EHU? Thanks

Current: 8,5A. - Connection rating: 2000W. - 1x2000W induction zone. - Voltage: 220-240V.
Usable in the U.K. where most campsites have a 13 amp supply. On the Continent 10 amp or less is the norm and that hob takes 8.5 amps + the Mains Charger on the vehicle so 10 amps or below Mains Supply would probably upset the Campsite supply to others as well as yours.

I don't think it too big either in terms of size (about 12" x16" x2") or power max 2000w (needing max 8.5 amp).
Its tough, easy to clean and a good shape to store. Also has about 10 lower power settings. More efficient power wise than older methods of cooking and suits many pans (frying, saucepan, kettle, pressure cooker etc) as long as metal suited to induction. Certainly much better than the old hotplates or those electric frying pans where the non-stick never lasted.
The point about blowing electric supply due to overloading is valid but with care you should be able to use this where the supply is fairly weak. Even on 16amp we need to make sure we don't use 2 or more greedy appliances at the same time - just need to get used to thinking before you plug in.

Have seen lots of positive comments about the Ikea hob on Facebook, with lots of happy Mo Ho and campervan users. Of course, can’t find any now! An added bonus is safety.

We have one, use it all the time on EHU, needs to be level or pans will slide off! Pans should be Induction Hob compatible. Enjoy!
In addition to CCC CLs in the UK, we have used ours on sites in Belgium (Jeugstadion Ypres) & the Netherlands without any issues. Hope this helps.

Very helpful thank you:)

Usable in the U.K. where most campsites have a 13 amp supply. On the Continent 10 amp or less is the norm and that hob takes 8.5 amps + the Mains Charger on the vehicle so 10 amps or below Mains Supply would probably upset the Campsite supply to others as well as yours.
Thanks for the information :thumb

I don't think it too big either in terms of size (about 12" x16" x2") or power max 2000w (needing max 8.5 amp).
Its tough, easy to clean and a good shape to store. Also has about 10 lower power settings. More efficient power wise than older methods of cooking and suits many pans (frying, saucepan, kettle, pressure cooker etc) as long as metal suited to induction. Certainly much better than the old hotplates or those electric frying pans where the non-stick never lasted.
The point about blowing electric supply due to overloading is valid but with care you should be able to use this where the supply is fairly weak. Even on 16amp we need to make sure we don't use 2 or more greedy appliances at the same time - just need to get used to thinking before you plug in.
Good advice thank you :)

If we are away for a few days and do not intend to cook much, then we often buy some frozen meals from M&S and take a microwave on EHU.
It works for us.

If we are away for a few days and do not intend to cook much, then we often buy some frozen meals from M&S and take a microwave on EHU.
It works for us.

We do the same and heat previously prepared meals, but use a Remoska rather than a microwave. It is also great for warming up croissants etc.

Just wish we could get a smaller Ninja Foodi. Bought on a whim and it is better than anything else. Brilliant at almost everything. Might make space for this year when on sites with EHU.

While we're on the subject, does anyone use a 'Slow Cooker' in their Cali? If so. any recommendations?

If you go induction don’t go out buying lots of new pans. Check what you have already. Any pan base that a magnet will stick to will work perfectly well on an induction hob, whether labelled as induction or not.
Thanks for the tip :thumb

Have been researching this product and here are some reviews from the Ikea website that relate to MH’s/campers/outdoors:

”I now also have one in my mobile caravan and use it when on site, saves using my gas, so cheaper to run and less moisture in the air when compared to gas cooking.”

”I bought this to use in my touring caravan. i have an induction hob at home and I do realy like cooking on it, Far better than gas or halogen. Does not use as much power as the electric as the hob in the caravan so does not trip the site electric supply,. and boils the kettle a lot faster than the normal electric kettle we have. It is not too heavy and can easily be carried about and just plugged in when needed. I should have bought one years ago. Also the small pan set "ANNONS" is a great accompaniment to the hob as well as a nice size for the caravan.”

“This is great for cooking fish and frying, in the garden”

”Bought this to use in our campervan and found it to be really useful. The long lead means you can cook outside. Very responsive, easy to clean and very good value for money.“

Used outdoors in a covered area for daily cooking, it's brilliant and keeps the smell outdoors.“

“This compact induction hob certainly packs a punch! Its rapid and efficient excellent as an extra hob in a busy kitchen, it can be left out or stored away after use. Easy to clean and use. Ideal for small spaces such as caravans/motorhome use. Love it!”

“ . . . going down to South of France for use in our Mobile Home (static caravan) I am looking forward to using and not having to rely on gas hob”.

One real positive for this is that if EHU is included in your camping pitch price, it’s not costing anything extra. We all know how costly campinggaz is. It wouldn’t take many trips for it to pay for itself as it’s only £39 in UK. I also like the idea of less moisture in the van (from the gas)..

Also you could use it in/under an awning and outside in dry weather. I would like the idea of cooking at the table too and for keeping food warm. As it’s so portable it could easily be used at home too.

The only major downside for me is it only has one cooking zone, but on the other hand that’s why it’s so compact in size and light in weight (2 would likely be overload on EHU anyway).

see the other, general reviews at https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tillreda-portable-induction-hob-white-40331630/
Out of 52, only 3 people rated it 3* or less, 40 rated it 5* and 9 gave 4 star.

Here’s a pic of it with the Annons 2.8l pan (which is great value at only £4.50).

FA639C83-4349-4B6C-8123-53DB758BDDB1.jpeg

Last edited:
While we're on the subject, does anyone use a 'Slow Cooker' in their Cali? If so. any recommendations?
Lots of people use them. Have you looked at a thermal cooker, Doorbundle? There are lots of posts if you do a forum search. Look for Mr D’s or thermal cooker.

They use the same method of the hay boxes of yesteryear. You have a pan that you start cooking in (10 mins boil/simmer), then that pan goes in an outer pot. You need no more power for the food to slow cook (usually about 4 hours, but doesn’t spoil if it’s more). So once you’ve started it can be cooking whilst you’re travelling in the van or somewhere without electricity. Pricier than a slow cooker/crockpot, but in the long run you’re saving on fuel costs and helping the environment too: win/win.

Wow...
Slow cookers, inductions hobs and Cadac’s. You do realise the Cali has a double hob burner...?
Just lift the glass lid ;)

I’m surprised you lot can fit all this stuff in your vans...

Last edited:

Get a Remoska. Lakeland do two sizes. They are brilliant. I use mine al the time both at home and I my Cali.

This is very good.

This is what we bought and very good it is too. About £20.00 off Ebay

a5caa4ab315ceea0cc9f8df9c325c13d.jpg

Back