Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for an T6 Ocean awning recommendation

Chilmark

Chilmark

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
A bit last minute but in the Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals there seem to be a few deals around, we have looked at the Kyham DubHub 30% off today , can anyone make a recommendations re other awnings, are we best waiting for the next show deals ?

Probably too late for the deals ;-)... but we have the Vango Galli Low awning and have been very pleased with it as an awning designed for a setup at a site and staying there for more than a couple of days. However, I am starting to come to the conclusion that the Van is designed for quick setup and move on to another site after a couple of days and that's the way we like it. So starting to think that having a much smaller 'storage' / 'porta potty' tent may be a better option for us. The awning does take up a lot of space and when we used it last weekend, my wife had to take it down alone as I had picked up a sickness bug and was no use to anyone (oh maybe I'm like that anyway)....

She did a grand job of bringing it down, but couldn't quite get it back in the bag !!

Depends on your holiday really. We have come from a big tent to the Cali. We bought a Galli 2 as we have 2 younger children, car seats, bikes, wetsuits, surfboards, toilet etc and have tended to do a week in one place. We wanted storage, a drying room, covered social space and somewhere for a loo, so for that it is brilliant. It is quite hard to get back in the bag and although quick up and down, the pegging out still takes a while. I like the fact it is along the van rather than out from the side as it fits the pitches better.I also looked at the Kampa travelpod touring in a similar vein but went with the Galli as it is lighter(brighter) inside and we aren't using it to sleep in. We realised we were in danger of buying our old tent to attach to the side of the van rather than an awning!

However for weekends or mobile trips which we are doing more of we have a Quechua Base Seconds which I suspect we will use almost all the time rendering the Galli mostly redundant except for the long summer trip as it does most of the same things but is rather quicker to put up and down if not quite as stylish.

I looked at the Vango Idris as it is a bit lighter weight, smaller and has a removable ground sheet for grumpy sites. It wouldn't work for the 4 of us but would for 2.

If you have the wind out awning then there are always the 'sides' for that but you can't drive off and leave stuff in it for the day!

I am not sure you will have missed any Black Friday deals as such but we are in Low season so still some good prices out there. Once 2019 stuff is out might get some deals on 2018. Didn't find the show prices that special but you often get some extras thrown in i.e. Bedroom pods kador etc.

We have 3 awnings at the moment ;-)

The Thule Omnistor 3 wind out awning that you can chose as a add-on when ordering. We are really pleased with it, and it is a game changer for getting shade in the summer. We even made som sides out of some tarps to get it more versatile.

rF+R4k+mT+qInGPVafa+DA.jpg

When on festivals, and in need of extra space for sleepover (and drive away storage) we have a Kampa Travel Pod Motion Air VW (long name). It is also very usable, with a lot of openings mosqitonets, floor and so on. You easily feel a little enclosed and we use it only on rare occasions. It is heavy and takes up some space in the trunk as well. We sometimes use it with the Thule Awning (like on this picture). But it is good when weather is poor and you need space because of the flooring.

image.png

Our latest awning member is the prominent GYBE and we really love it. It is more a pavillon than a Conventional awning, but it is very versatile and the extra space is huge and light. Takes only 5 min to get up (air), can cope a great amount of wind (but like the others not face on), and it is really not taking up a lot of space when packed in the trunk. It gives you a great extra space and you can leave it behind when out on adventure (drive-away). We are really pleased with it and we remove the Thule (15 min job) and use the Gybe in the outer seasons. Autumn to spring. And sometimes in the summer …

LqfuZR+SSwifIgMqP8N+Wg.jpg%ZKp8k%ARDCrdO8lfttJ5g.jpg

Last edited:
Its mainly the 2 of us but want the option of an additional zip in bedroom if needed the one that caught our eye is the Khyam Motordome Dub Hub, but have not seen any reviews as yet Black Friday sale price was £530 with groundsheet carpet and Kampa baffle which looked ok. Has anyone experience with Kyham ?

We ended up buying a Vango Galli Low III at the show and got £200 off and carpet and Sky lights thrown in so all and all a great deal as it was their show awning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back