Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for mental support in buying the T6 Cali :)

T

teapeaage

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
After renting both the Beach and Ocean last 2 years a couple times and having decided to sell my regular estate car and make the Cali mine and my wife's daily driver.

I started the search in August / September and have resisted to buying a new partially due to the prices but also in a conviction that I actually prefer the looks and the insides of T6 enough to warrant it over a T6.1 + figured a higher spec T6 would be of much more value (>to me<) than a lower spec but new T6.1

Long story short, it hasn't been an easy search, had two cars snatched almost hours/minutes before I decided to pull the trigger and I am now extremely close to getting one.. But need some tiny validation of whether that makes sense.

There is no question that instant availability trumps a 5-7months of waiting, especially where I live (as we can move around rather freely but not abroad..), so even with the price slowly approaching a lower-specced new car, I think I am happy to buy used.

I am planning on using the car both in wintertime (European Alps and Czech mountains for backcountry skiing) as well as longer roadtrips around Europe during the next couple years.

What I am currently looking at is a 2019 T6 199PS 4MOTION, with differential lock, DCC, Dynaudio, Alcantara seats, all drivers assistance systems (Side/Front/Lane and ACC), larger screen and even faux-wooden flooring and two sets of tyres and rims (winter/summer). The car has a 37kkm (23k miles) mileage and still has a warranty. GBP 56K.

I could possibly find almost similarly prices newer cars (8k mileage 2020 T6.1s) as well as lower specced cars for slighly less, but I have to say that I am planning on keeping this car for a couple years. Also, because my current car is a 2017 estate car with <60kkm mileage (so fairly fresh), I wouldn't want to 'downgrade' into a T5 experience for all my trips, especially with things like lack of Carplay, a high mileage or whatnot. Just a personal preference and maybe less things to worry about.

I also think that with the summer approaching, there might be even more demand (more people will want something for the summer) with a smaller supply (as less cars will be sold because people might want to be using them?).

I know it's not an 'investment' and I understand the market is inflated, but I feel like if I could drop the differential lock, or the DCC or maybe the Alcantara, I'd still have to pay circa 53-54K so it's not a crazy difference in value + the car is 1.5 years old..

Any of you has ever been in a similar situation (maybe recently?) and has decided similarly or otherwise and is a happy customer / or has regrets? Or maybe something in this plan simply sounds really bad / good to you? Any feedback would be appreciated cause my wife slowly is drawing up divorce papers after all my California versions/engines/etc. :D

After renting both the Beach and Ocean last 2 years a couple times and having decided to sell my regular estate car and make the Cali mine and my wife's daily driver.

I started the search in August / September and have resisted to buying a new partially due to the prices but also in a conviction that I actually prefer the looks and the insides of T6 enough to warrant it over a T6.1 + figured a higher spec T6 would be of much more value (>to me<) than a lower spec but new T6.1

Long story short, it hasn't been an easy search, had two cars snatched almost hours/minutes before I decided to pull the trigger and I am now extremely close to getting one.. But need some tiny validation of whether that makes sense.

There is no question that instant availability trumps a 5-7months of waiting, especially where I live (as we can move around rather freely but not abroad..), so even with the price slowly approaching a lower-specced new car, I think I am happy to buy used.

I am planning on using the car both in wintertime (European Alps and Czech mountains for backcountry skiing) as well as longer roadtrips around Europe during the next couple years.

What I am currently looking at is a 2019 T6 199PS 4MOTION, with differential lock, DCC, Dynaudio, Alcantara seats, all drivers assistance systems (Side/Front/Lane and ACC), larger screen and even faux-wooden flooring and two sets of tyres and rims (winter/summer). The car has a 37kkm (23k miles) mileage and still has a warranty. GBP 56K.

I could possibly find almost similarly prices newer cars (8k mileage 2020 T6.1s) as well as lower specced cars for slighly less, but I have to say that I am planning on keeping this car for a couple years. Also, because my current car is a 2017 estate car with <60kkm mileage (so fairly fresh), I wouldn't want to 'downgrade' into a T5 experience for all my trips, especially with things like lack of Carplay, a high mileage or whatnot. Just a personal preference and maybe less things to worry about.

I also think that with the summer approaching, there might be even more demand (more people will want something for the summer) with a smaller supply (as less cars will be sold because people might want to be using them?).

I know it's not an 'investment' and I understand the market is inflated, but I feel like if I could drop the differential lock, or the DCC or maybe the Alcantara, I'd still have to pay circa 53-54K so it's not a crazy difference in value + the car is 1.5 years old..

Any of you has ever been in a similar situation (maybe recently?) and has decided similarly or otherwise and is a happy customer / or has regrets? Or maybe something in this plan simply sounds really bad / good to you? Any feedback would be appreciated cause my wife slowly is drawing up divorce papers after all my California versions/engines/etc. :D
My view of the current situation is that life is short and it may be a lot shorter than we expect.
Buy it!
We placed an order in November.

Spend too long overthinking it and the price will have gone up and another 6 months will have past and you will be no further forward. You are asking for "mental support in buying a T6". - my advice get a grip and get on with it.

If you can afford it and like it, then go for it (life’s to short).
No harm in making a lower offer as Jan can be a quiet time to sell a vehicle.

Get your wallet out and get it bought!

We all thought @PhilR was mental when he posted this thread
last year, he went on to ordering one, its worth a read if you have
5 minutes spare :D
One of the longest threads of 2020.

Oh I've been lurking here for a long time, I'm familiar with that thread :D :)

Can understand the dilemma when parting with cash. IMHO, that is a good spec vehicle. Even I toyed with the idea of a t6 Vs t6.1 and went with the T6 4MO.

Go get it before that too slips out of your hands. You will enjoy it once you have it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

With spec it would have been a very expensive van new. I would go for it. DYNAudio was not an option on the 6.1 and I love it.

Ha ha, mental!!??? Yeah, probably, but the “live for today”, “life is too short” stuff made our decision and we haven’t looked back.
DO IT!!!

Now I wanted to thank you, because we literally just had a laugh with my wife and she reminded me that all the replies literally pushed me over the ledge so I should come out here and do so. Moral support found on vwcaliforniaclub.com! :D

Well, everyone, I pulled the trigger today! Will be picking it up in a couple days.

Now I wanted to thank you, because we literally just had a laugh with my wife and she reminded me that all the replies literally pushed me over the ledge so I should come out here and do so. Moral support found on vwcaliforniaclub.com! :D

Well, everyone, I pulled the trigger today! Will be picking it up in a couple days.
Good call. Dithering will only result in disappointment given the current bizzare market.

Question is how much profit could you make selling it at Easter? Sounds daft but it could easily happen

Great call :)

Don’t forget those pictures!

Don’t forget to post pic once you pick it up.
Enjoy:thumb

I am 70, so expecting a jab anytime soon! The reason I tell you this is that I have had time to buy a lot of things. My Cali, is the best thing I have ever bought. When I see it through the trees after a long day out. I know I have come home. :)

Attachments

• 20201020_152910-1-Export full size jpeg to Print Folder -3.jpg
    20201020_152910-1-Export full size jpeg to Print Folder -3.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 54
Congratulations! Is it candy white or ascot grey ? The darker tint really compliments the colour, a smart looking van indeed.
It’s Candy White! Yeah the tint is nice although I think the side windows in the cab are plain regular glass which might contribute to its soundproofing.. Do you think laminated glass can be retrofitted in Calis if it wasn’t fitted with it originally?